Is the UFC more boring now that MMA has become Muay Thai /Boxing/Jiu Jitsu/Wrestling?

There are a lot of successful current fighters that don't fit into the boxes you've listed. Khabib and wonderboy for example.

To a certain extent you're right but at the same time w are seeing a lot more spinning shit from guys at the higher levels. Also there are a few guys with different backgrounds. Pettis has a TKD background and Thomson has a kempo one. Of course there's Machida but unfortunately he's not as successful nowadays

Great points. If I could change one thing about the way fights are currently judged, it would be to take guard as a neutral position. You get points for taking a guy down, but from there if you want to be considered winning, you have to use the position.

I agree with this

Eventually we arrive at a style called "fighting," which dispenses with all the ritualistic pretense that accompanies "martial arts." The differences will turn on fighters' innate abilities - strength, conditioning, reflexes, etc. - and strategic decisions. The notion of a "style" independent of the practitioner will fade into irrelevance. You heard it here first.

why limit to guard?

if the guy on the bottom of side control is fucking up the guy on top, he's winning.

Sure if the guy on the bottom in side control is mounting serious offense from the bottom, the judges should respect that, but all things being equal, the guy maintaining side control is winning in my view.

why limit to guard?

if the guy on the bottom of side control is fucking up the guy on top, he's winning.

Agreed. Position alone should basically be irrelevent, only valued if other criteria are even. Damage that has an effect on your oppponent and threats/proximity to finishing your opponent should be the number one priorities for reward and everything else is secondary. IMO anyway.

This mindset would open up the game considerably, and not have fighters be so conservative or defensive, when they find themselves in 'good'/'bad' positions.

No matter what position you're in, if you can threaten to finish or do damage, you should be rewarded for it, and if you do more of that than your opponent does, you should win.

I think that now that the "essentials" of fighting are incorporated in most fighters training, we're gonna see more people use unsual techniques to gain an advantage.

McGregor and Wonderboy come to mind.

I am more annoyed by the wrestle-boxing point fighters with otherwise mediocre skills. Generic fighters like Holloway and Lawler are more exciting because they at least can damage the opponent.

Yes, I agree. Nowadays it's less about a clash of styles and more about training "MMA" rather than training a combination of disciplines.

These days MMA has evolved to the point where fighter belong to training camps that use a similar mix of BJJ, Muay Thai, Wrestling, and Boxing with most weaknesses accounted for.

Have UFC fights becomg less entertaining because everyone fights almost the same style now?
Is it more exciting to watch well-rounded fighters highly skilled in similar martial arts?
Or is it more entertaining to see fighters with a very strong style preference, but with bigger holes in their games?

No, regardless if everyone trains all aspects of mma they will still find one of those aspects that they are particularly strong at. Guys like Maia, JDS and Cormier all have a background in bjj, boxing and wrestling and that is their strength and we're always going to get guys like that. But you have these guys that train in all aspects that dont have a particular background, but yet they still favor a particular one. Guys like Rory, OSP and Jury with striking, or you'll have other guys that excel in grappling

Back