Is the Triangle Choke Dead in High Level MMA

Dead? Liam McGeary disagrees.

Oh, you said High Level. I was talking about a Tito fight...

As stupid as this sounds, submissions seem to be almost dead in general.

2u3zgjl.jpg

Love Anderson but this one was beautiful. Still different ways to trick your opponent into it

I've heard of the movie, passed that, I have no idea what the fuck you are talking about.

It was a movie about a college kid making the band. He played drums and tapped on his drum real quick....I was saying I left my arm out there and impersonate that tapping way too many times.

elite BJJ fighters training high level striking re: werdum, napao, etc

maia contented on winning via backpack

so yeah, BJJ is slowly being underutilized in MMA

With the rule set of MMA it's much more advantageous to try and get up rather than play guard and set up submissions. The guy on top keeps scoring and if you can't get the sub, you just lost a round. So guys won't even go for them very often.

I would say that submissions from the bottom are quite dead. There are only few fighters from the top of the rankings who are trying it efficiently.Also active transitions are quite dead.Look Woodley, Hendricks, they just sit in the guard and throw some gnp.
Many fighters just focus on striking, wrestling, on the ground only control and getting up,

Nah. I think they're tried less these days, but masters at it like Maia, Werdum, Nate Diaz, Andy, etc will still finish bitches with one, given the chance.

Also if Chael comes back expect it to have a resurgence in a big way.

Jx5zQp.gif

As stupid as this sounds, submissions seem to be almost dead in general.

A few factors here I would say...

1.Fewer high level sub grapplers moving to MMA.

2.Fewer fighters willing to fight aggressively off there backs due to judging and LnP.

3.Fewer fighters in top position look to attack again due to judging.

Triangle's ate very hats to execute on good guys, if you fuck it up your going to get passed and potentially pounded, it's safer to just try and get up..

Dead? Liam McGeary disagrees.

Oh, you said High Level. I was talking about a Tito fight...

Tito almost caught Machida in a triangle. But Machida was greased up.

No, its hard to get on someone who sees it coming, but just like in high level BJJ it still happens. Some people have very tricky triangles.

Back