Is the Triangle Choke Dead in High Level MMA

HaterSlayer

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
People didn't get triangled often but there hasn't been one in months. The last one I can remember is T-City landed one a couple of fights ago. There aren't even close ones like with arm bars and heel hooks.

So has top MMA evolved past the triangle choke? If not then why is it not being used anymore?

I think you're correct, top MMA has evolved past the triangle choke and a few others. The defense of those moves are drilled into you at an early stage of your training.

Because elbows are allowed in the GnP .... not that hard to see that imo

Nate will use it later this month if he so desires.

BJJ 101: when someone underneath you starts trying to wrap their legs around your head, back up, and don't leave arm extended.

Bjj is less effective than it used to be because everyone knows bjj.

It's as simple as that. Everyone is so good at it now that they know all of the escapes and defenses to different submissions.

Still doesn't mean the high level guys won't tap people though.

Royce Gracie on Dan Severn

Triangle is one of the go to beginner moves. Everyone who is at top level will be very experienced in defending triangles.

Bjj is less effective than it used to be because everyone knows bjj.

It's as simple as that. Everyone is so good at it now that they know all of the escapes and defenses to different submissions.

Still doesn't mean the high level guys won't tap people though.

Great summary

The armbar from the bottom is also becoming more rare.

I hope with the current generation of young BJJ champions transitioning to MMA (Kron gracie, buchecha, rodolfo vieira, roberto satoshi, mackenzie and gabi garcia) we'll get to see triangle chokes again. But as you guys said the fighters have such a high level they know how to escape. I think we saw some fighters put their opponent in the triangle choke but the opponent finds a way to escape.

I think you're correct, top MMA has evolved past the triangle choke and a few others. The defense of those moves are drilled into you at an early stage of your training.

More like, any fighter on the bottom scores no points. If you are on the bottom the only thing you can do is finish. If you don't finish you lose. Not exactly brain surgery here.

You can get up off the ground and leave your entire body exposed and as long as you have your pinky on the ground no one can kick or knee you. And people wonder why it's becoming the ultimate knockout championship. Entire positions like north south are worthless now. If you switch to a arm and head (on the ground, both fighters pointed at each other), you can't knee. etc etc. The ground game is going extinct and a toughman contest is replacing it.

BJJ from bottom has become less effective, its more about getting up now.

American Cowboy's mounted triangle on Brazilian Cowboy was immensely satisfying.

I hope with the current generation of young BJJ champions transitioning to MMA (Kron gracie, buchecha, rodolfo vieira, roberto satoshi, mackenzie and gabi garcia) we'll get to see triangle chokes again. But as you guys said the fighters have such a high level they know how to escape. I think we saw some fighters put their opponent in the triangle choke but the opponent finds a way to escape.

Why would someone work from the bottom when the rounds are 5 minutes and they know for a fact that if they don't finish they lose? You score zero points from the bottom. ZERO.

Back