is the tide changing in MMA?

Serious clown

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
it's starting to look like good MMA boxers with Tdd is the style of the future to be successful in MMA.Stipe,conor Cody etc. All have boxing backgrounds.

it's starting to look like good MMA boxers with Tdd is the style of the future to be successful in MMA.Stipe,conor Cody etc. All have boxing backgrounds.
Khabib would have something to say about this.........

Was just about to make a similar thread.

Boxing heavy striking styles are changing the tide...

The tide is always changing. Amanda is a BJJ black belt and Cody is a good wrestler.

Tyron / Wonderboy. Amanda. DJ. DC. Bones. I wouldn't call any one of them great boxers, or even the best boxer in their respective MMA weight class.

Oh, like Cro Cop 10 years ago?

Yeah it's like deja vu with Crocop, Liddell, Pulver, BJ, Gomi, Sylvia. But like someone else said, the tide is always changing and it will change again, it's like how bell bottoms came back for a while.

The tide is always changing, right now there's definitely a pattern emerging of great boxers succeeding. Could be a direct response to the past dominance of great wrestlers, it'a hard to take a guy down when his feet are planted.

However, I believe there's a reason boxing has historically been the most popular of the traditional martial arts. It's a very cost-effective way of fighting, doesn't interrupt your balance etc. Very straightforward in it's essence. In the past, skilled "boxers" would compete in boxing, but that's not necessarily the case anymore. Perhaps Stipe, Conor, Cody had been pure boxers were they born 10 years earlier than they were.

Right now the MMA world has a hard time dealing with these guys as they've rarely been faced with these skill sets earlier, but guys will come up with answers eventually, it'll be very interesting to follow. That's why we love this sport, constant evolution.

The tide is always changing, right now there's definitely a pattern emerging of great boxers succeeding. Could be a direct response to the past dominance of great wrestlers, it'a hard to take a guy down when his feet are planted.

However, I believe there's a reason boxing has historically been the most popular of the traditional martial arts. It's a very cost-effective way of fighting, doesn't interrupt your balance etc. Very straightforward in it's essence. In the past, skilled "boxers" would compete in boxing, but that's not necessarily the case anymore. Perhaps Stipe, Conor, Cody had been pure boxers were they born 10 years earlier than they were.

Right now the MMA world has a hard time dealing with these guys as they've rarely been faced with these skill sets earlier, but guys will come up with answers eventually, it'll be very interesting to follow. That's why we love this sport, constant evolution.

There have always been good boxers in MMA, it just so happens that they're experiencing success right now cuz they're getting into the grappling arts early enough to see it pay dividends in their career. I agree that it is by far the most efficient method of defending yourself, but the skilled boxer is nothing new to MMA; the skilled boxer-grapplers however, have really started to come out of the woodwork in recent years.

True, I'm not downplaying the tdd factor in Cody's win at all. My point is that the good MMA boxers today more often start their career with a focus on MMA because of the financial incentive, thus making them more well rounded than MMA boxers of the past. There's obviously exceptions though.

Back