Nintendo Is the switch still worth a purchase in 2023?

EL CORINTHIAN

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
What do you guys think? I have always wanted to buy one and I have at least 5 titles that I've been dying g to play. In 2023, do you think it's still worth a purchase or would you hold out for new hardware?

I've been told on Reddit that Nintendo said it's in the midway point of its lifecycle. If that's the case, I'll definitely make the purchase but I'm having a hard time believing it.

Last edited:
It's already far beyond obsolete, and knowing Nintendo, their next console will have the power of a base PS4. I wouldn't base a purchase on the tech. If you like their games, just grab it. It ain't going anywhere anytime soon, as long as it keeps selling as well as it is. Nintendo just does their own thing, so don't be expecting them to keep up with the generations. I wouldn't be surprised if it was their flagship console for the next five years.

Only if you don't have a decent gaming PC (or something like a Steam Deck).

I've been wondering what's next for Nintendo. The Switch is such a huge success but it's 6 years old and it feels like it's time. If I had to guess Nintendo would just be making a Switch 2.0 that is backwards compatible but is a true next gen iteration with some modern bells and whistles.

But also knowing Nintendo and how they go by the beat of their drum who knows. They may just do something completely different. I don't think they'd ever just try and make something that's in direct competition of Sony or Microsoft.

To answer your question, I felt like Breath of the Wild was worth the purchase alone and Tears of the Kingdom is a phenomenon even if it's not the Zelda game I wanted. Throw in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Smash Ultimate, Mario Odyssey and few I'm sure I'm forgetting I think it's worth a buy.

It's currently STILL outselling XBox Series X/S on a monthly basis.

Is it worth it? Why not if you have the spare cash and want to play Nintendo games. It has a great backlog of games now. If you are travelling then it's especially worthy of consideration. But if you have a healthy backlog of games you can also wait for Switch 2.0 but that will be more expensive then.

I've been wondering what's next for Nintendo. The Switch is such a huge success but it's 6 years old and it feels like it's time. If I had to guess Nintendo would just be making a Switch 2.0 that is backwards compatible but is a true next gen iteration with some modern bells and whistles.

But also knowing Nintendo and how they go by the beat of their drum who knows. They may just do something completely different. I don't think they'd ever just try and make something that's in direct competition of Sony or Microsoft.

To answer your question, I felt like Breath of the Wild was worth the purchase alone and Tears of the Kingdom is a phenomenon even if it's not the Zelda game I wanted. Throw in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Smash Ultimate, Mario Odyssey and few I'm sure I'm forgetting I think it's worth a buy.
I know it sounds weird but, among the other amazing titles that you've named, I. Primarily interested in donkey Kong tropical freeze. But yea I wanted to grab the flagship titles. I've heard nothing but amazing things about the switch.

A Switch 2 would likely be at least a year or two away. They haven't announced anything yet and even the rumors on it are pretty flimsy.

Moreover, they dont really need to roll out anything better Zelda is a HUGE hit for them right now, and if they are still making money on the Switch, why bother with a Switch 2. It's certainly not like they are "competeing" with Sony and Microsoft, they're doing their own thing.

Even when I bought mine two years ago I was unsure, as the hardware was dated then. I feel I got my money's worth though

What I like about it is how little it impacts my charging brick, compared to my Steam Deck.

There are so many titles too, but many of those will also run on the Steam Deck. If I had to choose one, I'd go Steam Deck. Look to see how well it emulates the 1st party Nkntendo games you'd want.

Remember, with the Deck, you're also accessing thousands of PC games and tends of thousands of older titles via emulation.

The Switch is probably my favorite console of all time. In a way the lack of computing power is a plus for me. I am more comfortable playing indie and retro games on whereas with next gen consoles I feel more inclined to only play AAA titles. And in the case of the Switch it is powerful enough for modern games to look pretty good. This opens me up to a huge variety of games to play. Only drawback is games aint cheap. Even many launch titles are still full price.

I have the Lite that I only play when I'm traveling. I've struggled to find any games I really like. BOTW is ok but it didn't feel like anything really special. Games are expensive too.

BotW and TotK alone make it worth the price. And the portability makes it an amazing platform to play indies and older games with low hardware demands. Perfect to play stuff like Hollow Knight, Hades, Dead Cells etc.

But be aware that its graphic capabilities suck, it's not better than a PS3. If you're into AAA gaming you're bound to be disappointed with the Switch unless you already have a PC or current gen console.

I have a PS5 that I barely touch it because of the Switch, if it wasn't for my kid it would be collecting dust.

Last edited:
I went out and made the purchase last night. After reading the posts here I came to the conclusion that I don't really care for the greatest graphics and that the switch is beyond sufficient for someone like me who barely plays games to begin with. There are so many good titles that I don't think I'll be bored with it anytime soon.

Been contemplating the same thing. Already have a PS5 and Xbox, but not playing Zelda is killing me. Do I really want to drop nearly $400 to play one game? Ugh.

Been contemplating the same thing. Already have a PS5 and Xbox, but not playing Zelda is killing me. Do I really want to drop nearly $400 to play one game? Ugh.
If it was just one game I wouldn't have done it but the switch has so many bangers and you can play smash bros with your friends too. It seems like a good purchase.

I went out and made the purchase last night. After reading the posts here I came to the conclusion that I don't really care for the greatest graphics and that the switch is beyond sufficient for someone like me who barely plays games to begin with. There are so many good titles that I don't think I'll be bored with it anytime soon.
Nice.

Don't sleep on indie titles.. I remember really being into Riptide GP.. its a Jetski type of racing game with stunts.

Also, Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity is a lot fun.

It's a great system for pickup and play casual types of games.

You say this right after the game of the year was released on the system as an exclusive?
Nintendo has not even mentioned a successor outside of Miyamoto saying he had ideas for new controller options and that was in early 2020. See if you can get one cheap off of Temu, I got a Switch Oled off of there for less than $250 (took a couple of weeks to ship though). The Oled version also runs some games a bit smoother due to having different memory and a different cpu.

The Switch is awesome. I basically play Switch and PC. That's it.

Back