Is the Mizugaki/Rivera winner one fight away from the title?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Senbonzakura, May 21, 2014.

1. Senbonzakura

Senbonzakura Sakuraba Bless

With Barao cleaning out the division there isn't much left for him aside from Dillashaw, Cruz, and (maybe Eduardo with another top contender win) but I don't really see much else left for him at BW at the moment,correct me if I'm sleeping on someone right now but that's how I see it.

Winner of this fight gets a #1 contender fight next... Yay or nay?

2. SimonNova

SimonNova Worship and forget

Assuncao is on a 5 or 6 wins streak so he will get the next titleshot I think.

Cruz vs winner of Rivera vs Mizugaki, winner gets the shot after Assuncao

3. kingcillo24

kingcillo24 Black Belt

I would say yes because both have exciting styles and useful backgrounds.

4. tenniswhiz

tenniswhiz Steel Belt

Mizugaki is awesome, but he won't be champ.
    I see him as more of a 'decider', like if you beat Mizugaki, you can either have a shot or fight an eliminator.

5. iNoScopedJFK

iNoScopedJFK TUF Noob

Assuncao is next for the title shot. I'd like to see the winner of this fight win one more fight before a title shot.

6. grecobjj

grecobjj Purple Belt

Eh maybe
    Assunciao is next(if he wasn't injured wuda been him and not tj)
    Miz wins its 5 ina row and I wouldn't mind seeing him and mcdonald scrap
    Rivera might be 2 wins away tho, simply because the roster seems top heavy and he doesn't have the same name recognition( if he wins easten/tj(if he loses)/ maybe d cruz)

Shit gets complicated if bruce leeroy does something like TAP faber out(whose num2)

Got a feeling we don't see renan defending his title until early next year after he gets done this weekend

7. Senbonzakura

Oh that's right forgot about Raph, he's got the least chance of beating Barao out of all the guys up next primarily because his standup is far behind the Barao and the only way Renan loses is if someone can implement a good strategy on the feet (ala Wineland for a good moment of their fight)

Rivera would get subbed by Barao and Mizugaki has awesome tools to distrupt Barao standing

Mizugaki/Barao would be a sick fight imo

8. BTzzzz

BTzzzz Blue Belt

Hopefully Moraes is signed by the time Barao is done with TJ, Assuncao, Mizugaki/Cisco and cruz

9. Arkridge

Arkridge Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

Yeah the winner of this will probably have to fight once more for a title shot. Assuncao already has one guarenteed, but maybe if Johnny Eduardo pulls in another quality win the winner can fight him. His striking looked damn good against Wineland. What else can you expect from Nova Uniao's striking coach though?

10. BionicCommando

BionicCommando Silver Belt

I think if Mizugaki wins, he's got a chance to leapfrog Assuncao. If they're going to Japan in September, you'd assume in theory that Mizu vs Barao is a big enough fight to headline.

11. Senbonzakura

Definitely man.

If Raph can't go and Barao is willing to stay active that would be the fight to make, BUT isn't it a FS1 card? Do they let Barao go from a ppv to televised card? I'm not so sure but I would love to see that happen if the cards are laid out right.

12. memoriesofrem

memoriesofrem Brown Belt

The winner will definitely be in the mix. Assuncao gets the next shot then you have Mcdonald, Mizugaki/Rivera winner, Perez/Caraway winner and Caceres if he manages pull off the upset against Faber as the main marketable options for #1 contender. This counts out Cruz because I just don't consider him until I actually see him physically step into the octagon again, Alcantara because his last win was questionable and tends to stumble up near the top and Faber for obvious reasons. I also think it's a little quick to toss Eduardo in there yet, let him get one more fight before we talk contendership.

13. BionicCommando

Might be a Fight Pass card to be honest. All I know is Super Saitama is pretty spacious venue and you might sell it out with a card of Barao-Mizu and Hunt-Nelson.

14. VIP1349

VIP1349 Silver Belt

Most likely yes. The winner will have a big streak obviously Assuncao is next up after TJ. But the one wrinkle in that could be Bruce Leroy. If he finds a way to upset Urijah? That warrants a title shot right away.

I think the winner of this match up could take on Alcantara if he beats Lee a week later. Could even go with Eduardo or the winner of the Perez/Caraway match up.

Few options here with them but I'd say the winner is another win away.

15. Arkridge

Arkridge Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

If Caceres beats Urijah he'll get a title fight for sure. Dude's on a long streak, would be longer if it wasn't for a bullshit point deduction and a failed marijuana test.

16. BionicCommando

Anybody who beats Urijah in a non-title fight deserves a title shot IMO.

17. Senbonzakura

What an interesting marketing move the ufc would be taking with giving fight pass subscribers 1 or 2 ppv worthy cards a year. Logically though people would subscribe for that month the card is on then cancel after so it goes both ways I assume.

The Saitama card should be loaded to the gills. Horiguchi, Kid Yamamoto, Kunimoto, and Kawajiri all should be on that card.

18. BionicCommando

Caol Uno deserves another shot as well IMO, this time at 145 lbs.

I'm pretty sure this is a Fight Pass card, if only because the purpose of Fight Pass is to air these cards live and more accessibly in other markets. I doubt Fox would be up for a card that goes live at 2 AM or so.

19. Senbonzakura

I've been hearing others rally around Uno for another shot, he's on a 4 fight win streak right? Sort of a career revival that makes for a great story. If they're starting to be generous and let vets back in (like Arlovski) I'm all for seeing Caol back in the octagon. The man deserves it!!!

20. Senbonzakura

Yup that was bullshit. Cacares could pull it off and I would like to see him come in hungry and aggressive for this fight with Urijah. As much as I like Faber, hell the guy teaches a class at my local jiujitsu gym once a month. He's a solid and great person to learn from but It would be nice to see the young contenders step up and dominate the division so we have new matchups for the title