Is the "loading phase" of creatine necessary for boxing?

Kenjamito

Freakin Covid
@Blue
Reaction score
I was having this conversation with someone last night who said that if I go on creatine for a performance boost over the next couple months to just use a scoop a day and don't worry about the loading phase. The brand I have is by "Optimum Nutrition." Any thoughts ?

If anything it give you a boost mentally

You take 20mg a day for 5-7 days instead of just 5 then you definitely feel like you will get some result

Loading phase for any creatine for any sport is useless as far as i've read/studied and had presented by a myriad of professors.

Don't take creatine , all it gives you is water weight. And when you stop taking it you loose your fake looking gains.

It would have been polite for him to at least say thank you, especially after copping attitude.

wut?

See below post for some late night reading.

From my personal library...

If anything it give you a boost mentally

You take 20mg a day for 5-7 days instead of just 5 then you definitely feel like you will get some result

5g is the recommended daily amount. 20mg would do absolutely nothing.

Here are some references for creatine, and what it does.

Ayoama R, Hiruma E, Sasaki H. Effects of creatine loading on muscular strength and endurance of female softball players. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2003 Dec;43(4):481-7.

Branch JD. Effect of creatine supplementation on body composition and performance: a meta-analysis. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2003 Jun;13(2):198-226.

Brilla LR, Giroux MS, Taylor A, Knutzen KM. Magnesium-creatine supplementation effects on body water. Metabolism. 2003 Sep;52(9):1136-40.

Brose A, Parise G, Tarnopolsky MA. Creatine supplementation enhances isometric strength and body composition improvements following strength exercise training in older adults. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2003 Jan;58(1):11-9.

Brudnak MA. Creatine: are the benefits worth the risk? Toxicol Lett. 2004 Apr 15;150(1):123-30.

Burke DG, Chilibeck PD, Parise G, Candow DG, Mahoney D, Tarnopolsky M. Effect of creatine and weight training on muscle creatine and performance in vegetarians. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2003 Nov;35(11):1946-55.

Burke DG, Chilibeck PD, Parise G, Tarnopolsky MA, Candow DG. Effect of alpha-lipoic acid combined with creatine monohydrate on human skeletal muscle creatine and phos****en concentration. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2003 Sep;13(3):294-302.

Burke DG, Smith-Palmer T, Holt LE, Head B, Chilibeck PD. The effect of 7 days of creatine supplementation on 24-hour urinary creatine excretion. J Strength Cond Res. 2001 Feb;15(1):59-62.

Chwalbinska-Moneta J. Effect of creatine supplementation on aerobic performance and anaerobic capacity in elite rowers in the course of endurance training. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2003 Jun;13(2):173-83.

Cottrell GT, Coast JR, Herb RA. Effect of recovery interval on multiple-bout sprint cycling performance after acute creatine supplementation. J Strength Cond Res. 2002 Feb;16(1):109-16.

Crowe MJ, O'Connor DM, Lukins JE. The effects of beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate (HMB) and HMB/creatine supplementation on indices of health in highly trained athletes. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2003 Jun;13(2):184-97.

Dash AK, Sawhney A. A simple LC method with UV detection for the analysis of creatine and creatinine and its application to several creatine formulations. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2002 Jul 31;29(5):939-45.

Dawson B, Vladich T, Blanksby BA. Effects of 4 weeks of creatine supplementation in junior swimmers on freestyle sprint and swim bench performance. J Strength Cond Res. 2002 Nov;16(4):485-90.

Delecluse C, Diels R, Goris M. Effect of creatine supplementation on intermittent sprint running performance in highly trained athletes. J Strength Cond Res. 2003 Aug;17(3):446-54.

Dempsey RL, Mazzone MF, Meurer LN. Does oral creatine supplementation improve strength? A meta-analysis. J Fam Pract. 2002 Nov;51(11):945-51.

Doherty M, Smith PM, Davison RC, Hughes MG. Caffeine is ergogenic after supplementation of oral creatine monohydrate. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2002 Nov;34(11):1785-92.

Eijnde BO, Lebacq J, Ramaekers M, Hespel P. Effect of muscle creatine content manipulation on contractile properties in mouse muscles. Muscle Nerve. 2004 Mar;29(3):428-35.

Eijnde BO, Van Leemputte M, Goris M, Labarque V, Taes Y, Verbessem P, Vanhees L, Ramaekers M, Vanden Eynde B, Van Schuylenbergh R, Dom R, Richter EA, Hespel P. Effects of creatine supplementation and exercise training on fitness in men 55-75 yr old. J Appl Physiol. 2003 Aug;95(2):818-28. Epub 2003 Mar 28.

Farquhar WB, Zambraski EJ. Effects of creatine use on the athlete's kidney. Curr Sports Med Rep. 2002 Apr;1(2):103-6.

Ganguly S, Jayappa S, Dash AK. Evaluation of the stability of creatine in solution prepared from effervescent creatine formulations. AAPS PharmSciTech. 2003;4(2):E25.

Gill ND, de Hedervary DG, Weatherby RF. Does caffeine counteract the ergogenic effect of creatine supplementation? 2000 Pre-Olympic Congress Sports Medicine and Physical Education International Congress on Sports Science, Sept 2000.

Hespel P, Op't Eijnde B, Van Leemputte M. Opposite actions of caffeine and creatine on muscle relaxation time in humans. J Appl Physiol. 2002 Feb;92(2):513-8.

Huso ME, Hampl JS, Johnston CS, Swan PD. Creatine supplementation influences substrate utilization at rest. J Appl Physiol. 2002 Dec;93(6):2018-22. Epub 2002 Aug 16.

Izquierdo M, Ibanez J, Gonzalez-Badillo JJ, Gorostiaga EM. Effects of creatine supplementation on muscle power, endurance, and sprint performance. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2002 Feb;34(2):332-43.

Jowko E, Ostaszewski P, Jank M, Sacharuk J, Zieniewicz A, Wilczak J, Nissen S. Creatine and beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate (HMB) additively increase lean body mass and muscle strength during a weight-training program. Nutrition. 2001 Jul-Aug;17(7-8):558-66.

Kilduff LP, Pitsiladis YP, Tasker L, Attwood J, Hyslop P, Dailly A, Dickson I, Grant S. Effects of creatine on body composition and strength gains after 4 weeks of resistance training in previously nonresistance-trained humans. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2003 Dec;13(4):504-20.

Kocak S, Karli U. Effects of high dose oral creatine supplementation on anaerobic capacity of elite wrestlers. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2003 Dec;43(4):488-92.

Lawler JM, Barnes WS, Wu G, Song W, Demaree S. Direct antioxidant properties of creatine. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002 Jan 11;290(1):47-52.

Louis M, Poortmans JR, Francaux M, Berre J, Boisseau N, Brassine E, Cuthbertson DJ, Smith K, Babraj JA, Waddell T, Rennie MJ. No effect of creatine supplementation on human myofibrillar and sarcoplasmic protein synthesis after resistance exercise. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2003 Nov;285(5):E1089-94. Epub 2003 Jun 24.

Mayhew DL, Mayhew JL, Ware JS. Effects of long-term creatine supplementation on liver and kidney functions in American college football players. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2002 Dec;12(4):453-60.

Ostojic SM. Creatine supplementation in young soccer players. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2004 Feb;14(1):95-103.

Persky AM, Brazeau GA. Clinical pharmacology of the dietary supplement creatine monohydrate. Pharmacol Rev. 2001 Jun;53(2):161-76.

Persky AM, Brazeau GA, Hochhaus G. Pharmacokinetics of the dietary supplement creatine. Clin Pharmacokinet. 2003;42(6):557-74.

Powers ME, Arnold BL, Weltman AL, Perrin DH, Mistry D, Kahler DM, Kraemer W, Volek J. Creatine Supplementation Increases Total Body Water Without Altering Fluid Distribution. J Athl Train. 2003 Mar;38(1):44-50.

Rawson ES, Clarkson PM, Price TB, Miles MP. Differential response of muscle phosphocreatine to creatine supplementation in young and old subjects. Acta Physiol Scand. 2002 Jan;174(1):57-65.

Rawson ES, Persky AM, Price TB, Clarkson PM. Effects of repeated creatine supplementation on muscle, plasma, and urine creatine levels. J Strength Cond Res. 2004 Feb;18(1):162-7.

Rawson ES, Volek JS. Effects of creatine supplementation and resistance training on muscle strength and weight lifting performance. J Strength Cond Res. 2003 Nov;17(4):822-31.

Revai T, Sapi Z, Benedek S, Kovacs A, Kaszas I, Viranyi M, Winkler G. [Severe nephrotic syndrome in a young man taking anabolic steroid and creatine long term] [Article in Hungarian]. Orv Hetil. 2003 Dec 7;144(49):2425-7.

Selsby JT, Beckett KD, Kern M, Devor ST. Swim performance following creatine supplementation in Division III athletes. J Strength Cond Res. 2003 Aug;17(3):421-4.

Syrotuik DG, Game AB, Gillies EM, Bell GJ. Effects of creatine monohydrate supplementation during combined strength and high intensity rowing training on performance. Can J Appl Physiol. 2001 Dec;26(6):527-42.

Taes YE, Speeckaert M, Bauwens E, De Buyzere MR, Libbrecht J, Lameire NH, Delanghe JR. Effect of dietary creatine on skeletal muscle myosin heavy chain isoform expression in an animal model of uremia. Nephron Exp Nephrol. 2004;96(4):e103-10.

Tarnopolsky MA, Bourgeois JM, Snow R, Keys S, Roy BD, Kwiecien JM, Turnbull J. Histological assessment of intermediate- and long-term creatine monohydrate supplementation in mice and rats. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2003 Oct;285(4):R762-9.

van Leemputte M, Vandenberghe K, Hespel P. Shortening of muscle relaxation time after creatine loading. J Appl Physiol. 1999 Mar;86(3):840-4.

van Loon LJ, Murphy R, Oosterlaar AM, Cameron-Smith D, Hargreaves M, Wagenmakers AJ, Snow R. Creatine supplementation increases glycogen storage but not GLUT-4 expression in human skeletal muscle. Clin Sci (Lond). 2004 Jan;106(1):99-106.

Vandenberghe K, Gillis N, Van Leemputte M, Van Hecke P, Vanstapel F, Hespel P. Caffeine counteracts the ergogenic action of muscle creatine loading. J Appl Physiol. 1996 Feb;80(2):452-7.

Vierck JL, Icenoggle DL, Bucci L, Dodson MV. The effects of ergogenic compounds on myogenic satellite cells. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2003 May;35(5):769-76.

Volek JS, Duncan ND, Mazzetti SA, Staron RS, Putukian M, Gomez AL, Pearson DR, Fink WJ, Kraemer WJ. Performance and muscle fiber adaptations to creatine supplementation and heavy resistance training. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1999 Aug;31(8):1147-56.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10956365

http://www.hawaii.edu/hivandaids/Effect%20of%20Creatine%20Supplementation%20During%20Resistance%20Training%20in%20Women.pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12500988

http://www.hawaii.edu/hivandaids/Effect%20of%207%20Days%20of%20Creatine%20Supplementation%20on%2024-Hour.pdf

For boxing I wouldn't really worry about Creatine. For weight lifting it's good since it increases ATP in the muscle allowing you to get a few more reps in thus making you stronger. Creatine does work and it's one of the only supplements I take. Loading it is something people did back when creatine came out but just take a couple of small scoops per day and you're golden.

I use that brand of creatine. I buy the 2kg bottle of it every year. The loading phase isn't useless because the effects begin in a week instead of a month. It's not required, though. It works regardless of whether you opt to have a loading phase.

Don't take creatine , all it gives you is water weight. And when you stop taking it you loose your fake looking gains.

Creatine is the second most studied supplement ever (2nd to protein) and has been proven effective in every study for the past 25 years.

As for OP's question, no, loading is not necessary. Take it, get strong as fuck, and be happy.

Creatine is the second most studied supplement ever (2nd to protein) and has been proven effective in every study for the past 25 years.

As for OP's question, no, loading is not necessary. Take it, get strong as fuck, and be happy.

Every "study" of creatine done was paid for by a creatine company. It reminds me of those "double blind studies" they used to post on the back of GNC protein powder cans saying, take this and get 25% stronger, scientifically proven!

Every "study" of creatine done was paid for by a creatine company.

What you're suggesting is borderline impossible. There are so many creatine studies, done by such a large number of organizations, that it would take a conspiracy of B-movie proportions to pull off.

As far as the OP's question; loading isn't ever necessary, it just speeds up the time to muscle saturation. The only downside is that it can increase the chances of any gastric issues. No big deal either way, nothing to sweat about.

I wrote a fairly comprehensive article on creatine a while back. If you have any other questions, you might want to give it a look http://www.corpuscompendium.com/2013/01/everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know.html

I only have one Q Synapse; regarding caffeine and creatine. From a few studies i've read and my physiology text, it appears caffeine inhibits optimal creatine uptake. Your thoughts on this?

For a weight class sport i probably would load only because your training is more likely to have attenuated phases of strength training, and making sure that the effects actually kick in while you're still training strength might be important.

Especially since you'll probably stop taking it when you get nearer to weigh-ins.

What you're suggesting is borderline impossible. There are so many creatine studies, done by such a large number of organizations, that it would take a conspiracy of B-movie proportions to pull off.

As far as the OP's question; loading isn't ever necessary, it just speeds up the time to muscle saturation. The only downside is that it can increase the chances of any gastric issues. No big deal either way, nothing to sweat about.

I wrote a fairly comprehensive article on creatine a while back. If you have any other questions, you might want to give it a look http://www.corpuscompendium.com/2013/01/everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know.html

Why don't you post a study proving creatine is not all water weight, and was NOT paid for by a creatine company, big man?

I only have one Q Synapse; regarding caffeine and creatine. From a few studies i've read and my physiology text, it appears caffeine inhibits optimal creatine uptake. Your thoughts on this?

I've taken EC stack with creatine and it was effective. That is my anecdotal evidence for the day.

Why don't you post a study proving creatine is not all water weight, and was NOT paid for by a creatine company, big man?

You might literally be the worst poster in this sub at this very moment.

Back