Is the future of mma/ufc going to be about teams???

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Ogata, May 29, 2014.

1. Ogata

Ogata Silver Belt

I have noticed that due to the influx of mma fighters as well as the unpredictable nature of mma, it is very hard to make individuals in to superstars as well as house hold names.

So do yous think that future of ppvs would be something like Team Alpha male vs Team nova or Team aka vs Team Jackson?

Or will it be a nation vs nation like how when Rich Franklin fought David Loisieau, it was team america vs team canada because of other american vs canadian fighters going at.

2. BulldogWrestler

BulldogWrestler Banned Banned

3. Ogata

Ogata Silver Belt

I understand your skeptisicm due to the failure of IFL. But I feel like in the future, there are going to be even more people in the mma and so perhaps a team concept may become effective. But then again who knows if it will work, but there is no denying that the landscape of mma has changed drasticly!

4. BulldogWrestler

BulldogWrestler Banned Banned

It wont work, too many variables such as recovery times and injuries to keep a consistent "schedule" for the "teams" to fight

5. Diet Otsuka

Diet Otsuka Red Belt

don't see it brother.

6. Ogata

Ogata Silver Belt

Fair enough on the recovery times, though I thought perhaps they could have substitute fighter if one of the stable fighter gets injured. Though this may create politics and create animosity and resentment within the teams.

Then again a subsitute fighter needs to get paid and if they don't fight they don't get paid either, damn!

7. PorkPiePusher

PorkPiePusher Loro Piana cashmere belt

Wait.

You mean team vs team like Chute Boxe vs BTT was (informal but marketable and bookable rivarly), or like IFL was (full team vs team competition format)?

The former - yes
    The latter - no

8. Earthworm Jim

Earthworm Jim Banned Banned

It will be EXACTLY like this movie, with the main character having to avenge his brother's death in an anti climactic battle!
    UFC Primetime episodes will be filled with early 80's/90's machismo training music montages & the band Survivor makes it to #1 on the billboard music charts once again!
    [​IMG]

9. UFCFantasyMVP

UFCFantasyMVP Blue Belt

I'd be interested for sure! It actually sounds like a good idea to promote Pay Per Views if you ask me!

10. ShingMyFong

ShingMyFong White Belt

i can dig it

11. HaterSlayer

HaterSlayer Black Belt

I've actually thought they should publicize the names of the fight camps. The brands can give legitimacy to a fighter that someone may not know. If some new guy comes in and he's from Team Alpha Male I'm interested how he'll do. Same thing goes with someone from Jackson's and the other top camps.

12. FenoxSky

FenoxSky Brown Belt

I don't think TS idea will work.
    But I'm in favor of this.

13. Inigo Montoya

Inigo Montoya ...............

It could be interesting.

For example, we have a "league" that is devided by weight classes. 5 teams participate and register 8 fighters into the league - one fighter per weight class.
    Each fighter fights the other 4 competitors in his weight class in a single year, and gets 2 points for a decision win and 3 points for a finish (thus making the fighter picks more strategic and interesting).
    At the end of the year all points are added up to decide the winning team.

In case of injuries, pre registered replacements could work. The main problem I see is finding enough teams with one fighter per weight calss

14. autocorrelation

autocorrelation Orange Belt

well, they kind of do when announcing "fighting out of..." I mean e.g. who else is fighting out of albuquerque than jackson's?

15. FenoxSky

FenoxSky Brown Belt

Doesn't mean shit to casuals though, and Boca Raton has both Blackzies and ATT.

16. fight4ippon

fight4ippon Brown Belt

No it is a part of MMA's past and it did not work out well as mentioned before.

[​IMG]

17. Sherm

Sherm Brown Belt

I would love to see an event with country vs country, and they should give extra money to every fighter on the winning team.

They could have an annual Brazil vs USA card, where just the 5 main card fights are part of the competition. After you fight, you remain cageside to watch the next round of fighters. By the main event, the whole teams are sitting cageside in some special seating area, cheering their guys on.

The winning team gets to raise some trophy that they will later take back to their country, perhaps a bronzed version of Anderson's leg. Each member of the winning team gets an extra $50,000 plus an additional $10,000 for each fight that their countrymen won. Alternate home court every year. Have at least one of the fights be some young and hungry guys, try to have the main be a title fight if possible. Include Wand and Chael whenever possible.

18. thomm030

thomm030 Purple Belt

No because I like specific fighters for the style, and personality. That's going to be hard with entire teams messing about.

19. xP

xP Silver Belt

That isn't how combat sports work really. I doubt it ever will be.

20. Ogata

Ogata Silver Belt

HELL YEAH!!! Dude thats way better than my idea and I would really get in to it, for example a new guy from the alpha team fights a new guy from team nova or up and coming fighter from american kickboxing academy vs american top team!!!

They can also keep tabs on the record, for example this is the first time team Alpha Male has a win over Nova Uniao.