Is the Formal Training Always Necessary?

Gay ass Austin. Lots of bros like that down on 6th looking for trouble. That’s right where Roger Huerta went off on that dude. A lot of alcohol and hot chicks can give you some mean strength. I’ve seen it a bunch of times down there.

Right off of 6th street I saw a KO so spectacular if it had been on recorded it'd be on my top 3 ever seen.

It was satisfying as fuck too. This one loudmouth dude was yelling and gesticulating to this quieter dude. Screaming about how he was gonna kick his ass for about 20 seconds straight. Until calm dude threw a single right hook from hell. Loudmouth crumpled up like he'd been shot. Didn't even take a step back or stumble, just went limp. Dude was asleep for about 1 minute.

I hope you're not using this to justify not training TS.

A trained person will always have a massive advantage against someone untrained (I doubt either party in that video had any training). Does shit happen, even with highly trained fighters? Of course, but that's far from typical.

There are plenty of videos of mma fighters completely demolishing and embarrassing self-proclaimed "street fighters" who showed up to their gym. Hell I've sparred with those kinds of guys myself, big tough dudes who show up to the gym expecting to beat everyone up in their first class, and get so embarrassed they never come back.

Last edited:
Depends on the person and situation. Most fights are between people with no formal training, so really whoever lands a solid blow wins. Or someone who has had just a bit of training IMO has a huge advantage. Against people with no training, just having some semi-crisp strikes makes all the difference.

Now if a dude's a beast, he's a beast and likely even a dude who has significant training is going to lose. Size does matter a great deal.

Fighting mindset is critical. If you dont want action, youll get dropped.

All this video shows you is that if you're bigger and more athletic than the other guy(s) and no one has any training, then you have a great advantage if you're aggressive and they aren't

Cliffs: If your only concern is to be able to beat up timid schmucks, then being much bigger and having more experience will suffice

I hope you're not using this to justify not training TS.

A trained person will always have a massive advantage against someone untrained (I doubt either party in that video had any training). Does shit happen, even with highly trained fighters? Of course, but that's far from typical.

There are plenty of videos of mma fighters completely demolishing and embarrassing self-proclaimed "street fighters" who showed up to their gym. Hell I've sparred with those kinds of guys myself, big tough dudes who show up to the gym expecting to beat everyone up in their first class, and get so embarrassed they never come back.

Those gym sessions are not comparable to street situations.

That being said trained guy will beat average guy 9/10 times

Matt Serra finished GSP, and the gap in their skill levels is much wider than some rando knocking out a amateur fighter.

Benji Radach got knocked out by some nobody with minimal training.

At the end of the day, any given grown man can put your lights out.
Benji got his ass beat in a mma fight by a former amateur boxer named Danny Lafever

Most people with real training don't bother street fighting.

My first boxing trainer told me when I first started training.... You learn how to fight so you don't have to.

I thought Mark Hunt vs Manhoef was in DREAM under MMA rules? But yeah, Melvin is no normal MW when it comes to power lol

Something tells me the big attacker is a hockey enforcer. The way he held up his fist and just threw with arms only. Where is this vid taking place?

And I never trained because I thought it help in street fighting. I just enjoyed doing it. I think I would have enjoyed street fighting more, but I will hate to have to run away from cops like that big guy, so I figured MA sparring is the next closest thing.

Matt Serra finished GSP, and the gap in their skill levels is much wider than some rando knocking out a amateur fighter.

Benji Radach got knocked out by some nobody with minimal training.

At the end of the day, any given grown man can put your lights out.

Yeh Serra got lucky. GSP got him back though.

That guy was big. Just big. And young. That's it. He wasn't even athletic-big. The two guys he beat up were probably nice nerdy types who had a bit too much to drink and wound up with that jackass as a consequence.

I could have knocked him out but I wasn't there.

it's not hard to KO someone who is not expecting it, the guy clearly has no training and doesn't even look like an athlete in how he throws a punch

The attacker kind of looks like a football player or hockey player depending on the location.

Are we also suppose to discuss tactics, and technique here?

What could that little guy in black sweater could have done when he marking forward?

You should I repost this in Standup and ask?

I find street fights to be interesting because there are no rounds, or score cards, and no setup. In a formal bout, the fighters get to set themselves up first. There are rounds designated area so you have the time and space to set up you tech. You can play around with opponent. In street fights it just seems different.

Usually it’s who hits cleanest first.
90% of people of people don’t know what to do when things escalate to a physical level. Couple that with the heightened state of emotions, anger can blind and confuse people.
The hits that hurt the most are the ones you don’t see coming.
Usually if someone has legit training they are the more reserved in a situation, knowing damn well how badly they can hurt the other person if things got serious.

I’ve worked at enough bars and doors to see countless fights at the drunken street level, to know that the person with the cooler head usually prevails.
.....However there are always exceptions to this out there.

On the video below you can see a guy who knocks out another guy and knocks down his pal. In my humble opinion the "Street Rocky" hasn't any formal training. Do you believe that this is crazy luck or sometimes even the untrained people can achieve something on the streets?

The guy who knocked the other two guys cant fight worth shit.
Look at how he just threw 3-4 right hands, slowly, never very aligned, and while telegraphing it, showed no conscious to throw a left, which wouldve landed at any moment.
Thank god the other two guys, were absolutely worthless.

What you saw was, guys that have never fought, fighting, and the bigger guy winning.

@MadSquabbles500
This clips a few year old but Im pretty sure he was a firefighter, so hes in shape, bigger, and fighting two dummies who clearly have no athletic bones in their body.

On the video below you can see a guy who knocks out another guy and knocks down his pal. In my humble opinion the "Street Rocky" hasn't any formal training. Do you believe that this is crazy luck or sometimes even the untrained people can achieve something on the streets?

not gonna lie

literally everyone of those guys look like pussies.

That one dude dropped both of them, but he had no clue what he was doing either. Prob not the best example here.

I will say that formal training Isn't always necessary, some guys are just naturally good at scrapping. I'd say that's the exception, not the rule though.

Most people with real training don't bother street fighting.

My first boxing trainer told me when I first started training.... You learn how to fight so you don't have to.
yup

can't remember the last time I got In a fight either..

I've been told it's like an aura you emit or something. People can sense that you can break it out, so don't mess.

The guy who knocked the other two guys cant fight worth shit.
Look at how he just threw 3-4 right hands, slowly, never very aligned, and while telegraphing it, showed no conscious to throw a left, which wouldve landed at any moment.
Thank god the other two guys, were absolutely worthless.

What you saw was, guys that have never fought, fighting, and the bigger guy winning.

@MadSquabbles500
This clips a few year old but Im pretty sure he was a firefighter, so hes in shape, bigger, and fighting two dummies who clearly have no athletic bones in their body.
That's one weak ass firefighter..

Back