Is the Flyweight division filled with 4 fighters?

Rhood

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I thought they were supposed to dissolve that division 5 feet ago.
Without MM, Cejudo, and Dodson, who's left?
Everyone moved up to the manlier division, but now I see Joe Benavidez fighting Joe Nobody for the baby belt.

Seriously?
I thought the Flyweight division expired ages ago like 3.5 inch floppy drives.

They'll have someone else win the belt then dissolve the division and have anyone under contract move up. Whoever wins the belt here (let's say Benevidez) will get a little extra marketability

The way I see it at this point if you can't cut it at BW then you should be cut. Benevidez is the only one I'm confident can still be a top 10 guy at BW. Number 2 is Formiga who probably can hang then there's no one. France is in the top ten for god sake.

They'll have someone else win the belt then dissolve the division and have anyone under contract move up. Whoever wins the belt here (let's say Benevidez) will get a little extra marketability

I sure hope so. Hurry up with it already.

sometimes i question if half the people on sherdog are even fans of MMA lol

figueiredo always puts on good fights, this is a fucking banger. moreno, askarov, formiga, pantoja, kara-france, all of them are very entertaining fighters.

I remember the times when FLW was introduced and the sherbros had me convinced that there was a massive pool of talent in Asia and Latin America.
The reality is that half the champions have gone to BW OR used to fight at BW. There's no massive talent pool, MMA is just not popular enough in those countries. With time, maybe, it will fill up with amazing fighters, until then it will remain a ghost town with champs trying to escape.

Last edited:
16 fighters in the entire division. lols

It was pretty weird.

They release a lot of fighters after Dana said he was going to disolve the division.

Then IIRC Cejudo beat TJ and suddenly they were signing guys again.
Hell they even signed Moreno back, who was released during that massive cut.

ufc should almost go back to when they had wec running the smaller weight classes, but have a team of people running for every 3 weight class : 115 125 m/f, 135m/f 145m. 145f 155 170, 185 205 hw.
every weight class isn't getting marketed and grown well. 145 females has been under haha a dozen fighters since it's beginning.
125 male has been struggling for some time.

Who are these 3 ? Have never heard of them before. Heard of Morano, couldn't pick him out a line up

GenerousOrnateGnatcatcher-size_restricted.gif

UFC-Fight-Night-108-Brandon-Moreno-Dustin-Ortiz-GIF.gif

I remember the times when FLW was introduced and the sherbros had me convinced that there was a massive pool of talent in Asia and Latin America.
The reality is that half the champions have gone to BW OR used to fight at BW. There's is no massive talent pool, MMA is just not popular enough in those countries. With time, maybe, it will full up with amazing fighters, until then it will remain a ghost town with champs trying to escape.

there IS a ton of talent in asia. They just all fight at ONE.

FLW is in a weird position because the UFC doesn't try to push the unknown fighters there and the unknown fighters aren't willing to stir shit and create a hype train for themselves. This leads to UFC usualyl burying FLW fights in random Fight Nights or at the bottom of big events which means they don't generate as much hype and then the fighters no matter how good their performance is don't create a big buzz through self-promoting so it's a never ending cycle of the fighters not being pushed because the UFC doesn't see the value yet and the fighter not self-promoting because they don't feel like it and also maybe because they feel the UFC doesn't give a shit about them.

They have good fighters and the division is actually pretty competitive outside of MM ruling the division.

there IS a ton of talent in asia. They just all fight at ONE.

I've been watching caged muay thai fights recently, they are amazing, and I'm sure you are right and there IS a lot of talent, but we just haven't seen it at the UFC and I think it's because MMA is just not popular enough in Asia and Latin America, potential MMA fighters become boxers or train muay thai.
The best way to increase number of guys trying MMA is to have the biggest org feature fights with small guys, but until MMA becomes popular enough in those parts of the world, FLW will struggle to find talent.

They're smaller than average women, it'll never be a thing in the states.

They have zero idea what they are doing at this point... They should have went full in with the division and never entertained the idea of letting it go or just got rid of it as quick as possible. The problem is it is the lightest division, if they brang in a strawweight division people would look at 125 differently but of course that would create a new problem. DJ is also partially to blame, they need a Conor Mcgregor type character to come in and wreak havoc on the division. A little charismatic 4'8 ko artist.

Who are these 3 ? Have never heard of them before. Heard of Morano, couldn't pick him out a line up
Pantoja, Kara-France, and Moreno were all on the TUF Champions season where the winner fought Demetrious for the title. Tim Elliot ended up winning that season and got the title shot.

Pantoja beat Moreno in their fight on the show

Insecure big for nothing dudes would get smoke by little flyweights

Back