Is the Fat Boy division getting worse?!

Time for a TUF HW. Last one was a disaster though.

Roy Nelson, Matt Mitrione, Brendon Shaub all came from TUF. They arent cream of the crop but they can put on good performances.

Roy Nelson wouldn't be where he is today if he didn't start his career on the Ultimate Fighter.

He was a veteran fighter before TUF happened and would've probably still made to the UFC. He had a great run in IFL. Mitrione and Schaub are the products of TUF. I wouldn't mind more Mitriones and Schaubs tbh.

Roy Nelson wouldn't be where he is today if he didn't start his career on the Ultimate Fighter.

Yeah the fights on the show weren't great but I don't think that was a disaster at all. Nelson has been such a great and exciting gatekeeper for the HW division. Mitrione has been too, he's like a lesser gatekeeper who I think can still actually make a run. He's a little younger than Nelson and a lot younger in terms of fight mileage. The Rothwell fight was a big set back though.

Roy Nelson, Matt Mitrione, Brendon Shaub all came from TUF. They arent cream of the crop but they can put on good performances.

Disagree with Roy Nelson being a product of TUF

Still, I agree with your point. It wasn't the greatest TUF season but there was some good talent that came through. Justin Wren is decent and has announced his Bellator debut, Jon Madsen was a good hard nosed wrestler and I still feel it was unfair UFC released him after just one loss. Mitrione and Schaub are good fighters. A TUF HW season wouldn't hurt at this point.

The prospects are not very bright, nor many. But the reason they don't come through is because the old guys still kick serious ass. Mir v Duffee was great. Could be a great fight against Arlovsky too. JDS will kick Overeem's ass, but it will be an exciting fight. Cain Velasquez can still wipe out the contenders and get a rematch with Werdum (who is better than ever), which will be great to watch. Miocic and Travis Browne are far from declining imo, despite a couple losses.

The likes of Hunt and Bigfoot definitely seem out of place, but if they keep winning the odd fight they deserve to be here. A waning division for sure, but the old dudes still make it a very entertaining one until the next hot shot comes along.

Agreed with those who say athletic big mean are in the nfl or nba... why get paid shit to get punched in the face when u can get paid nearly half a mil, minimum, to play basketball or football... alot of those players get much more than the league minimum..

Where's the talent?
Working as bouncers at bars in Moscow and places like that. Plenty of guys over there that would clean house in the UFC's HW and LHW divisions if they ever bothered to quit smoking and get into MMA and actually train for a few years. :p

HW is not worse in talent than W135 and is not more name-void than FlW.

Is TS fatshaming people?
Stop that!

Agreed with those who say athletic big mean are in the nfl or nba... why get paid shit to get punched in the face when u can get paid nearly half a mil, minimum, to play basketball or football... alot of those players get much more than the league minimum..

That doesn't explain why not even collegiate HW wrestlers are coming into MMA. This is their pro sport, and a dominant MMA HW champ would become a multi-millionaire, especially if he had any kind of charisma. We should be getting giant NCAA Brock Lesnar types graduating into MMA every year.

Last edited:
The division I dislike the most. No skill needed, no prospects and a bunch of 40 year-olds.

Old guys at HW can stick around because:

1) Power is the last thing to go, and if there is one thing HWs have in spades, it is knockout power; and
2) As you slow down and start to lose some of your physical gifts, you can close the gap with younger, greener, faster fighters by fighting crafty (especially when we don't have that many quick HWs to begin with).

what happened in boxing is the cold war ended and the former soviet countries were allowed in.

they have heavier hands.

Its funny really in America HW boxing is considered dead just because non of the Yank HWs are good enough to be the Champion. But everywhere else HW boxing is still doing well.

That doesn't explain why not even collegiate HW wrestlers are coming into MMA. This is their pro sport, and a dominant MMA HW champ would become a multi-millionaire, especially if he had any kind of charisma. We should be getting giant NCAA Brock Lesnar types graduating into MMA every year.

Most people dont like getting punched in the face and MMA pays peanuts. Probably easier to just be a wrestling coach and make as much as most UFC fighters especially with the Reebok deal.

Between shitty pay, reebok, and having to get hit by 250lb men I dont think a lot of guys at that weight see MMA as very appetizing.

Back