Is the dawn of a Fighters MMA busness model opon us with Jones leading the way?

I know, but it's possible and it's an option for him. And if he did do it, the fans should support that and try to make it successful.

Having two large orgs is the only thing good for MMA, not one monopoly org.

But...
Why do you think Jones could escape while Randy couldn't?

And if there are two big orgs and one blacklists you it sure hurts your market value with the other as it have no leverage, no where else to go.

I just don't want to see MMA become boxing. Boxing, where two guys make multi-million dollar paychecks and the rest of the fighters make a couple thousand bucks. Boxing is a sport that has what, ten to twenty actual names in it at any given time and the rest of the crowd is virtually unheard of nobodies. Please, don't be that way.

I'm talking about a scenario where Jones is a free agent. Notice how Dana is scheduling fights for Jones before his contract is signed? G I wonder why. To prevent him from being a free agent.

Randy underestimated that how binding these contracts are thats all.

And for the second part, Jones will never be blacklisted thats the thing. He is too damn valuable and good. He will get an awesome contract at viacom, and when that was done the UFC would give him a rusty trombone to get him to sign back.

The UFC are trying to get him in one last fight before his contract ends because they could take advantage of paying him cheaply for what will be a huge fight.

Plus, where else could Jones really go, and for how much? No one can afford him, and because of that Jones has no leverage whatsoever. Yes, he's talented, but he's not a monster draw. If he leaves the UFC, or simply decides to stop fighting for a while, the UFC can simply continue the division without him, have a new champion emerge, and pull the exact same number of ratings as before.

Like it or not, Jones needs the UFC more than they need him.

The UFC are trying to get him in one last fight before his contract ends because they could take advantage of paying him cheaply for what will be a huge fight.

Plus, where else could Jones really go, and for how much? No one can afford him, and because of that Jones has no leverage whatsoever. Yes, he's talented, but he's not a monster draw. If he leaves the UFC, or simply decides to stop fighting for a while, the UFC can simply continue the division without him, have a new champion emerge, and pull the exact same number of ratings as before.

Like it or not, Jones needs the UFC more than they need him.

That is what people said about gilbert.

That is what people said about gilbert.

The difference however is that Gilbert was already making peanuts and Bellator was in a position to make a comparable offer. Jones is already making more than I think Bellator would care to pay him, and Jones would risk alot with his current sponsors by making that move. Do you think Nike would be happy with him going to a B-level promotion fighting B and C level competition? Probably not.

I just don't want to see MMA become boxing. Boxing, where two guys make multi-million dollar paychecks and the rest of the fighters make a couple thousand bucks. Boxing is a sport that has what, ten to twenty actual names in it at any given time and the rest of the crowd is virtually unheard of nobodies. Please, don't be that way.

You're right. The boxing model is bad where money is concentrated in the hand of the promotions and a very select elite group of boxers. And elite boxers get to pick and choose who they fight which is ridiculous.

There must be a way to ensure that people who do not fight eg the promoters are paid on a salary basis, fights get scheduled according to rankings and that fighters take in the lion's share of the profits so even journeymen can save some money during their short careers. The fight game needs some sort of league system like the major sports.

The difference however is that Gilbert was already making peanuts and Bellator was in a position to make a comparable offer. Jones is already making more than I think Bellator would care to pay him, and Jones would risk alot with his current sponsors by making that move. Do you think Nike would be happy with him going to a B-level promotion fighting B and C level competition? Probably not.
Well seeong that the ufc has banned jones from wearing nike in the ring i think they would love the move.

Bellator would pay jones what ever he wants. You only got one chance to have the p4p best fighter in your org. Belators srock would sky rocket suddenly having the best fighter on earth fighting for them.

An independent international fighters association that all pro fighters and orgs worked through would be a great thing for MMA.

All fighters being free agents free to complete in any org they wanted, much like Tennis players are when they can compete in any tournament they choose. Obviously the UFC would still be the 'Wimbledon' of MMA fighting, but it wouldn't monopolize talent or put a 'UFC bubble' on the rankings. In a legitimate sport, there should be no reason a fighter shouldn't be able to fight another fighter of similar rank in an attempt to improve their ranking. Guys like Askren or Alvarez not being able to challenge UFC talent or Randy not being able to fight Fedor, shouldn't happen due to being locked away behind dodgy extended contracts. The only contract a fighter should have should be if they have an org belt they must defend or forfeit it.

In this scenario Orgs might have to work harder for their profits, which is a good thing for fans

The MMA landscape was not mature enough to support this model even 5 years ago, but I think thanks to mainstream explosion (driven by the UFC), this kind of 'free agent' model could now be established.

Last edited:
This right here, if Jones was selling 1 million plus every ppv though we would see a different outcome.
I think Jones will take whatever they were offering Anderson Silva.
Also I see Jones cutting back and only fighting 1 or 2 times a year instead of the 3 or 4 times a year he has been. He's been taking a lot of damage lately.

He hasn't fought more than twice since 2011. Two fights a year is enough from a champion when there are middle of the road guys who can't even compete as much.

The UFC have responded to guys taking fights when someone drops with 'tough shit' when they lose. If someone has some leverage and is trying to get more money on their next deal because their new one is set to expire, and the UFC has started negotiations, good for them.

Take a fight on short notice? Getting knocked out is better for your UFC career than decision loss. Baffling

i will reiterate what milesabove said in another thread
all for fighters standing up for fighter pay , not a fan of fighters controlling where and when they fight

Back