Is the dawn of a Fighters MMA busness model opon us with Jones leading the way?

When the company is losing money/interest is the WORST time to try to get more money.

It's so weird how people always do this wrong. When the UFC was in 2009-2012 is when you wanted to push hard for more money. When the company is becoming sluggish and losing money, all you're doing by demanding more is helping the company die.

btw: 100% for fighters being paid MUCH more. Just should have timed it better.

They're losing money?!
Source?

Kinda obvious, isn't it?

Cutting the middle man or taking power away from him, whenever possible, is always the best way to go.

UFC managed to grow as a brand, but without the fighters they are nothing.

The way they are throwing every fighter under the bus for little to no reason is killing them, since in the end people are paying to watch fighters, with a clear limit for the UFC brand themselves.

The UFC is worth more now than it ever has been before, how is it "killing them?"

The leverage that the UFC has is that there are literally no other worthwhile avenues for fighters to display their product. The UFC IS MMA, that's why fighters don't have any negotiating power, people buy the UFC brand not anyone fighter, and that's because the UFC is far bigger than any one fighter.

Unfortunately, until a fighter can consistently pull in 1 million+ PPV buys, things are going to stay exactly the same.

Fedor made the biggest mistake of his life and he knows it. I guarantee he sits around in Russia and tries not to think about his insane handlers and their inability to strike a deal. He would of made so much money, and he would of had hard fights but had Fedor stepped up his training...man, anything could of happened. Mike Dulce, Fedor at 205, get out of here! He would of made millions and became an even bigger legend. I really hate that I never got to see him fight guys similar to his size because he didn't want to change his eating habits. Also do you want the UFC to become like boxing? Organizations who dole out belts four times over for what is it, 94 different weight classes. Since I don't have access to all of the UFC's finances it is impossible to say how viable their model is long term. I don't think people realize that the UFC isn't baseball, hell it isn't even the NFL in terms of money. Until a lot more billionaires start investing in MMA it is going to be tough to have free agents and fighters who are the REAL champion of the world.

One of dumbest things I've ever read.....you know nothing about fedor.

Yeah, the union is right around the corner.

but we're talking about opinion. OJ was practically guilty before he was innocent and that's what stands

I'm pretty sure if you went out into the street and asked 100 random people who OJ Simpson is you'd get crushed like 100% vs 0% if you actually think after 20 years people are not going to say he's the dude who killed his wife. You can spend all the money you want, but the 1st impression is always gonna be the strongest and hardest to kill, you can't just flip flop opinion like it's nothing

It's hard to apply this to this Jones spin

There is an underlying objective fact that OJ either did it or not. A jury finding isn't gonna change that.

Jones standing is totally subjective.

Also, with Jones opinion will be more fluid as the media coverage is lesser for his ranking than a football star who'd been in movies murdering his wife.

Again, I'll stick with the coke bet as neither of us can really prove anything.

I can just point to the success UFC had in killing the reps of guys like Daley, Fedor, Tim, Andrei, etc

The UFC is worth more now than it ever has been before, how is it "killing them?"

The leverage that the UFC has is that there are literally no other worthwhile avenues for fighters to display their product. The UFC IS MMA, that's why fighters don't have any negotiating power, people buy the UFC brand not anyone fighter, and that's because the UFC is far bigger than any one fighter.

Unfortunately, until a fighter can consistently pull in 1 million+ PPV buys, things are going to stay exactly the same.

This brand is drawing less money from PPVs and making more events. Therefore, their ebidta/revenues must be declining.

I'm not sure on this "it is worth more than ever". By what measure? Only in USD (in real terms)? When compared to other top brands of other industries? Bellator/WSOF/OneFC gained little (but still more than zero) ground, UFC was ahead of the rest by the biggest margin in 2011, perhaps, stull surfing after buyinh their last legit competitor (SF).

What I meant is that this UFC branding thing is making them neglect what really gives them money: promoting fights/fighters.

Sonnen does a good job, but it is UFC's role to do the same for, say, JBJ and Aldo, if they want to make money and not lose ground, even if little.

Well Fedor kinda killed Tim and Andrei and UFC never promoted Fedor so saying he sucks when you never promoted him isn't really flip flopping cause you never promoted him as being the best to start off.

With Jones if he doesn't lose you won't really be able to get rid of the hype you created because it's your own words for one, so to be able to change opnion you would have to, at the very least, lose credibility in your own promoting. It's a catch-22

If you view politics you can see it best, say someone switches sides, the followers aren't going to change political sides, they'll stay their own party and abandon the person they followed like say Ariana Huffington. It's practically unheard off to see it go the other way

They did try to make Andrei and Tim seem like the best, so when Fedor destroyed them they had to underplay their value.

Andrei was cut after a win, too

Viacom... It's the future of MMA.

I've said it before, I'll say it again:

A big increase in fighter pay and more power in the hands of the fighters will be very bad for the fans. We're already seeing the start of it; fighters working hard to get a title and then coasting once they're there because just being champion is incredibly profitable outside of the actual fights. How many champions who fought three times a year or more to get to title suddenly started getting injuries once they had it?

People, I think, are massively over estimating the athletes that more money will bring to the sport, and ignoring what will happen as athletes turn into businessmen.

I've got no problem with Jones trying to get his money. So many fighters have done Dana, Lorenzo and Joe Silva favors and end up cut. Fuck that. Get your dough.

This brand is drawing less money from PPVs and making more events. Therefore, their ebidta/revenues must be declining.

I'm not sure on this "it is worth more than ever". By what measure? Only in USD (in real terms)? When compared to other top brands of other industries? Bellator/WSOF/OneFC gained little (but still more than zero) ground, UFC was ahead of the rest by the biggest margin in 2011, perhaps, stull surfing after buyinh their last legit competitor (SF).

What I meant is that this UFC branding thing is making them neglect what really gives them money: promoting fights/fighters.

Sonnen does a good job, but it is UFC's role to do the same for, say, JBJ and Aldo, if they want to make money and not lose ground, even if little.

UFC branding is what got them to where they are today. All the other MMA promotions that failed, did so because they tried to build their promotions around their fighters. In the end fighters will come and go, and if you don't have a strong enough brand to carry you when there's a lull in big name fighters, you will go under.

Also, its not as if the UFC doesn't promote their fighters...of course they do! They promote the shit out of their guys. But like I said before, if guys cant consistently bring the UFC 1million+PPV buys, then they are really not going to have any leverage. The last guy to have any real negotiating power was Brock Lesnar, and he got PAID.

And btw yes, the UFC is stronger now than they ever have been before. In 2011 the UFC didn't have a contract with FOX, today they do, and that contract is HUGE. Not only financially did that deal put them on a higher earning path, but the UFC has achieved mainstream status.

Back