1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Is the dawn of a Fighters MMA busness model opon us with Jones leading the way?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by goldentoe, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Aas Gutú Adéli Plutonium Belt

They're losing money?!
    Source?

2. Corleone187 ㄥ8ƖǝuoǝlɹoƆ

[QUOTE=Aas Gut

3. 1neomonkey Brown Belt

The UFC is worth more now than it ever has been before, how is it "killing them?"

The leverage that the UFC has is that there are literally no other worthwhile avenues for fighters to display their product. The UFC IS MMA, that's why fighters don't have any negotiating power, people buy the UFC brand not anyone fighter, and that's because the UFC is far bigger than any one fighter.

Unfortunately, until a fighter can consistently pull in 1 million+ PPV buys, things are going to stay exactly the same.

4. JKS 77+&--#rT....

One of dumbest things I've ever read.....you know nothing about fedor.

5. Substance Abuse Plutonium Belt Platinum Member

Yeah, the union is right around the corner.

6. Aas Gutú Adéli Plutonium Belt

It's hard to apply this to this Jones spin

There is an underlying objective fact that OJ either did it or not. A jury finding isn't gonna change that.

Jones standing is totally subjective.

Also, with Jones opinion will be more fluid as the media coverage is lesser for his ranking than a football star who'd been in movies murdering his wife.

Again, I'll stick with the coke bet as neither of us can really prove anything.

I can just point to the success UFC had in killing the reps of guys like Daley, Fedor, Tim, Andrei, etc

7. Aas Gutú Adéli Plutonium Belt

Did you ever think you'd read a thread about an mma union?

8. ovbious Brown Belt

This brand is drawing less money from PPVs and making more events. Therefore, their ebidta/revenues must be declining.

I'm not sure on this "it is worth more than ever". By what measure? Only in USD (in real terms)? When compared to other top brands of other industries? Bellator/WSOF/OneFC gained little (but still more than zero) ground, UFC was ahead of the rest by the biggest margin in 2011, perhaps, stull surfing after buyinh their last legit competitor (SF).

What I meant is that this UFC branding thing is making them neglect what really gives them money: promoting fights/fighters.

Sonnen does a good job, but it is UFC's role to do the same for, say, JBJ and Aldo, if they want to make money and not lose ground, even if little.

9. Corleone187 ㄥ8ƖǝuoǝlɹoƆ

[QUOTE=Aas Gut

10. Aas Gutú Adéli Plutonium Belt

They did try to make Andrei and Tim seem like the best, so when Fedor destroyed them they had to underplay their value.

Andrei was cut after a win, too

11. Crylo Green Belt

Viacom... It's the future of MMA.

12. Loiosh Detective Platinum Member

I've said it before, I'll say it again:

A big increase in fighter pay and more power in the hands of the fighters will be very bad for the fans. We're already seeing the start of it; fighters working hard to get a title and then coasting once they're there because just being champion is incredibly profitable outside of the actual fights. How many champions who fought three times a year or more to get to title suddenly started getting injuries once they had it?

People, I think, are massively over estimating the athletes that more money will bring to the sport, and ignoring what will happen as athletes turn into businessmen.

13. MilesAbove Steel Belt

[QUOTE=Aas Gut

14. Substance Abuse Plutonium Belt Platinum Member

I've got no problem with Jones trying to get his money. So many fighters have done Dana, Lorenzo and Joe Silva favors and end up cut. Fuck that. Get your dough.

15. Aas Gutú Adéli Plutonium Belt

Ah ok

16. Aas Gutú Adéli Plutonium Belt

Ben Saunders one was so annoying

17. Aas Gutú Adéli Plutonium Belt

It'll be hard for Jones to escape his

18. 1neomonkey Brown Belt

UFC branding is what got them to where they are today. All the other MMA promotions that failed, did so because they tried to build their promotions around their fighters. In the end fighters will come and go, and if you don't have a strong enough brand to carry you when there's a lull in big name fighters, you will go under.

Also, its not as if the UFC doesn't promote their fighters...of course they do! They promote the shit out of their guys. But like I said before, if guys cant consistently bring the UFC 1million+PPV buys, then they are really not going to have any leverage. The last guy to have any real negotiating power was Brock Lesnar, and he got PAID.

And btw yes, the UFC is stronger now than they ever have been before. In 2011 the UFC didn't have a contract with FOX, today they do, and that contract is HUGE. Not only financially did that deal put them on a higher earning path, but the UFC has achieved mainstream status.