1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Is the dawn of a Fighters MMA busness model opon us with Jones leading the way?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by goldentoe, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Kowboy Karl Black Belt

Jones easily has the power to crumble the UFC

Others would follow

It's easy to write off rampage Tito Fedor etc

Jones is the best the UFC has ever had not only in the lhw division but ultimately his star power due to his SKILLS

It would be a huge mistake for the UFC to screw up a relationship with him

2. Andrew784 Blue Belt

That would be a awesome storyline if Jon walks away from the UFC. I almost think it could be better for the sport and Gus since he comes off looking like the real champion of the division since Jon didn't want the fight and many people thought Jones lost the fight in the 1st fight.

3. xxax Orange Belt

Total utter bullshit. NOBODY would follow. Unranked guys aren't just going to be picked up by other orgs and i seriously doubt the ranked guys would take a gamble and just leave. Not to mention they all have contracts too, so they'd need to battle the UFC legally... Good luck with that.

I also fail to see how Jones is the best ever in the UFC. By title defences? By what standard?

Star power i can't comment since im not from the states. In Europe its much lower than some of the older Pride guys...

4. MikeyLan Brown Belt

Fedor has more than enough money to sustain his very modest lifestyle. He's a multi-millionaire, president of Russian MMA, friends with Putin and a national hero (who carries the olympic torch for his country time and time again).

If anyone made a mistake it was Dana. Dana actually admitted to it in a recent interview. That not signing Fedor was his biggest regret.

Fedor doesn't give a shit about the UFC. Never did. Never will. He doesn't even watch it.

5. moreorless87 Straba

The deal Fedor went with actually ended up being very smart, we get all these figures thrown around for UFC contracts but the massive issue that's overlooked is few or none of them are actually guaranteed, the UFC can pull the plug after just one loss.

When Fedor signed with M-1 I'm guessing he knew this was his retirement contract and made sure he got a garneted deal that carried on paying him well even when his form dropped off. I wouldn't be supprized if this was the biggest issue that caused Fedor not to sign with the UFC in 2007, that is Zuffa didn't want to start handing out guaranteed contracts.

As far as his legacy goes I think we've now seen that the Randy and Brock fights weren't really the career defining matches they were hyped as.

6. Aas Gutú Adéli Plutonium Belt

That's a curious point though
    I mean, does the money in Kickboxing or Judo compare at all with MMA money right now? Is there talent there that shrugs and goes "I'd do MMA if the money was better"?

7. Corleone187 ㄥ8ƖǝuoǝlɹoƆ

UFC is pretty pathetic.

Jones can practically fight anywhere he wants cause he's the best. The funny thing is that the UFC promoted him as that so much so that he doesn't have to even worry about them bad mouthing him like they bad mouth everyone in the business. In a twist of irony UFC practically propoganda'd against themselves!

I actually find it hilarious! :icon_chee

8. surgeyou1 Welcome to the Machida Era...Part Deux

Next thing Jones will ask for 50% and co-promote with the UFC...

[​IMG]

9. I dont really care, let him do whats best for him and his family...as long as he fights Gus and DC.

10. Aas Gutú Adéli Plutonium Belt

You're wrong though, they could so easily propaganda him back down
    They could say he was on a surprisingly early decline and was no longer the same destructive beast, earning decisions and having close fights.
    They could plaster the pic everywhere of Gus posing with him when he's hospitalized
    "he just wasn't the same after Gus destroyed him, he was looking for every way possible to avoid that rematch"

they can point to his fights with MWs

and the most powerful weapon if he leaves is what they did with Fedor, "he's only fighting UFC castoffs and nobodies now" and he'll lose his p4p ranking on sites as his 'level of competition' falls off.

They're ready for it.
    And they'll wait and hope that like Fitch that he loses early when he leaves so they can totally play up the idea that Gus ruined him

11. Corleone187 ㄥ8ƖǝuoǝlɹoƆ

[QUOTE=Aas Gut

12. 1neomonkey Brown Belt

While I'll always support the fighters in the battle of more pay,no matter who it is, I think people fail to realize how much leverage the UFC actually has.

Jones doesn't really have a play here because its not like he could pull a Melendez and risk going elsewhere since no one is going to pay him more than what he's already making and his salary would be severely capped.

That really puts him between a rock and a hard place because if he decides to not fight, well then he won't make any money at all, and the UFC can still continue the division without him and have a new champion emerge....with the exact same number of ratings nonetheless. The fact that the UFC can pull the same numbers with or without Jones is key, because their argument is that the UFC is far bigger than any one fighter and thats what people are paying to see. This is what makes it so difficult for MMA fighters when they want to try to push back.

13. 1neomonkey Brown Belt

Bottom line- The UFC will make the exact same money with or without Jones, and there is literally no where else Jones can go that will make it worth his while.

14. Aas Gutú Adéli Plutonium Belt

I don't agree with any of that

UFC could swing popular opinion on Jones in three months or less if he leaves. It wouldn't even cost that much. I've watched them do it several times, swaying this board substantially on various matters.

As a promoter, that's the main skill they've developed.

And as for OJ, pretty much everyone knows he was found not guilty whether he is guilty or not. And he was found guilty of wrongful death in the civil suit.

If Jones leaves UFC and UFC can't destroy him with spin in under five months I'll buy you a coke :)

15. Aas Gutú Adéli Plutonium Belt

I disagree, I think they'll take a 10% bump in profits for a couple years. Jones, however, will likely make 60% over the course of his career.

(Made up numbers, but you get it)

16. Corleone187 ㄥ8ƖǝuoǝlɹoƆ

[QUOTE=Aas Gut

17. 1neomonkey Brown Belt

[QUOTE=Aas Gut

18. Aas Gutú Adéli Plutonium Belt

Overall this is quite a tangent.

But our justice system doesn't work along the lines of viewers deciding someone is guilty or not, then hearing the verdict and going "oh, I was wrong, he didn't do it"

19. MilesAbove Steel Belt

When the company is losing money/interest is the WORST time to try to get more money.

It's so weird how people always do this wrong. When the UFC was in 2009-2012 is when you wanted to push hard for more money. When the company is becoming sluggish and losing money, all you're doing by demanding more is helping the company die.

btw: 100% for fighters being paid MUCH more. Just should have timed it better.

20. ovbious Brown Belt

Kinda obvious, isn't it?

Cutting the middle man or taking power away from him, whenever possible, is always the best way to go.

UFC managed to grow as a brand, but without the fighters they are nothing.

The way they are throwing every fighter under the bus for little to no reason is killing them, since in the end people are paying to watch fighters, with a clear limit for the UFC brand themselves.