Is the dawn of a Fighters MMA busness model opon us with Jones leading the way?

If Jones is really trying to change it he will need to press some kind of charges against Zuffa, or wait for them to do it to him.
Then stand by his guns while it goes through court and not settle out.

Dana has benn smart to stifle any sign of sindicalism an to promote a rich merit based reward system. If Jones leaves, someone else steps in, gets a bonus to smash Machida and Shogun, GOAT talks are planted, Jones falls into obscurity as the fighter that ducked, 151 is blamed on him by Dana.

Zuffa has a chokehold on all quality MMA the same way WWE has a chokehold on all high tier 'rasslin. If Zuffa falls, all MMA reverts to "human cockfighting" and regional minor leagues.

If Jones is really trying to change it he will need to press some kind of charges against Zuffa.
Then stand by his guns while it goes through court and not settle out.

he doesn't need to press charges. Change will be catalyzed by his popularity and refusal to submit to Dana. It's like when Luke said no to Palpatine.

Dana has benn smart to stifle any sign of sindicalism an to promote a rich merit based reward system. If Jones leaves, someone else steps in, gets a bonus to smash Machida and Shogun, GOAT talks are planted, Jones falls into obscurity as the fighter that ducked, 151 is blamed on him by Dana.

Zuffa has a chokehold on all quality MMA the same way WWE has a chokehold on all high tier 'rasslin. If Zuffa falls, all MMA reverts to "human cockfighting" and regional minor leagues.

UFC fans are incapable of escaping the wrestling and WWE paradigm and mindset. the difference between wrasslin and MMA is that MMA is a sport. The proprietor content of a sport is the sport itself and its athletes. While WWE is basically a production studio whose productions are whats sold.

Good fighters fighting in a prison yard will draw an audience. UFC adds nothing

Fedor made the biggest mistake of his life and he knows it. I guarantee he sits around in Russia and tries not to think about his insane handlers and their inability to strike a deal. He would of made so much money, and he would of had hard fights but had Fedor stepped up his training...man, anything could of happened. Mike Dulce, Fedor at 205, get out of here! He would of made millions and became an even bigger legend. I really hate that I never got to see him fight guys similar to his size because he didn't want to change his eating habits. Also do you want the UFC to become like boxing? Organizations who dole out belts four times over for what is it, 94 different weight classes. Since I don't have access to all of the UFC's finances it is impossible to say how viable their model is long term. I don't think people realize that the UFC isn't baseball, hell it isn't even the NFL in terms of money. Until a lot more billionaires start investing in MMA it is going to be tough to have free agents and fighters who are the REAL champion of the world.

fedor never struck me as the kind of guy that would drop down to fight smaller guys. it seems to me, that for him it was fighting the biggest guys in the world, or nothing. fedor wanted to be the baddest man on the planet. only the heavyweight champion can claim that title.

he doesn't need to press charges. Change will be catalyzed by his popularity and refusal to submit to Dana. It's like when Luke said no to Palpatine.

Pressing charges is for criminal matters.

The legal action would instead be UFC trying to enjoin Jones from fighting elsewhere.

Jones isn't exactly the most beloved fighter either.

"Go get some fans!"

UFC fans are incapable of escaping the wrestling and WWE paradigm and mindset. the difference between wrasslin and MMA is that MMA is a sport. The proprietor content of a sport is the sport itself and its athletes. While WWE is basically a production studio whose productions are whats sold.

Good fighters fighting in a prison yard will draw an audience. UFC adds nothing

UFC adds legitimacy undreamed of, Pat Healy and Justin Wilcox were as amusing as all hell to watch in SF, and Rockhold, Mousasi and Jacare were so good that are now ruining the UFC established MWs where ever they can - I don't remember them ramping up the SF rating.

UFC is and always will be closer to the WWE system than the boxing system, due to the one big money player whose wallet and will have built up all of MMA as we know it today (PRIDE fan, but UFC is much more deserving), and said big money player now relies on nothing but a roster based system - if someone is not on our roster, he doesn't exist until he gets on our roster - see Fedor for reference. This is also the staple of the WWE system, type of product plays no role in the end when roster control is everything.

Jones leaves, NIKE leaves him, he's the star athlete no more - simple.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Only if Jones forms a union. If not, he's just an anomaly.

UFC adds legitimacy undreamed of, Pat Healy and Justin Wilcox were as amusing as all hell to watch in SF, and Rockhold, Mousasi and Jacare were so good that are now ruining the UFC established MWs where ever they can - I don't remember them ramping up the SF rating.

UFC is and always will be closer to the WWE system than the boxing system, due to the one big money player whose wallet and will have built up all of MMA as we know it today (PRIDE fan, but UFC is much more deserving), and said big money player now relies on nothing but a roster based system - if someone is not on our roster, he doesn't exist until he gets on our roster - see Fedor for reference. This is also the staple of the WWE system, type of product plays no role in the end when roster control is everything.

Jones leaves, NIKE leaves him, he's the star athlete no more - simple.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

LOL Nike Sponsors JONES, not UFC. Nike doesn't want to be part of the UFC brand, they want to be attached to JONES.

the WWE studio system is not sustainable for MMA, just like it wasn't sustainale in hollywood. eventually stars eclipses the studios because people are paying to see the fighters.

Keep drinking dat UFC koolaid lil breh

The Jones business model is everything MMA fight fans don't want. UFC isn't stupid, overcompensating fighters mean no progression for the sport. You pay someone that amount of money, then they lose and ufc is forced to pay someone else that.. vice versa. We can't be like boxing. Jones coming off his last two fights only had over 300,000 buys for each. That's really freaking bad for both the ufc and jones case to bargain with. Do you need to give Jon names to even draw 500,000 these days like Sonnen..idk. Bones is elite but, until the viewers give him respect then UFC has to oblige.

Bullshit. It would lose all credibility for like 5 minutes, then the average attention span of fans would kick in and onwards we go. And not one of the fighters would leave over this.

It may be negative, but i fail to see what's positive where basically the UFC holds all the cards.

You are wrong. If Jones left the UFC a massive media s candle would happen with top fights likely a ufc champ wanting to fight Jones in another Org. Dana would let it happen and it would be the Randy couture Fedor thing all over again. The UFC would lose big time.

The Jones business model is everything MMA fight fans don't want. UFC isn't stupid, overcompensating fighters mean no progression for the sport. You pay someone that amount of money, then they lose and ufc is forced to pay someone else that.. vice versa. We can't be like boxing. Jones coming off his last two fights only had over 300,000 buys for each. That's really freaking bad for both the ufc and jones case to bargain with. Do you need to give Jon names to even draw 500,000 these days like Sonnen..idk. Bones is elite but, until the viewers give him respect then UFC has to oblige.

We don't need progression for the sport, Zuffa needs that for their bank. All the fans need is to see that very best fighters in the world fight each other.

You are wrong. If Jones left the UFC a massive media s candle would happen with top fights likely a ufc champ wanting to fight Jones in another Org. Dana would let it happen and it would be the Randy couture Fedor thing all over again. The UFC would lose big time.

Just like UFC lost and Fedor vs Randy happened in M1 and UFC has never been the same since!

Could be time for the fighters to take control. But you never know if it will work out better for us fans.

Where I see it potentially helping fans most is in attracting more talent. In the current model you need to work your way up for several years to get the big money(and even they its only right at the top) but I think in a fighter led model that could happen earlier and led to more guys from sports like kickboxing, Judo and maybe even boxing giving MMA a try.

I don't know if I'd want guys who punch each other in the face for a living to be in charge of this industry.

I think a change is coming. Zuffa is losing the stronghold it has on MMA and I think Jones is the man who is going to fan the spark of the fire Fedor started GSP and Gilbert re-ignited that will changes MMA business for the better forever.

Jones has already proved he wont be bullied into doing what is best for Zuffa over his best interests. He is the P4P best fighter in the UFC right now and will use the leverage that comes with that to draw a line in the sand and get what he deserves, a fair shair of the profits and a fair contract.

I think it started with Fedor played hardball and telling the UFC to kick rocks. With Gilbert signing with Belator and then GSP giving up the belt to do what he felt was best for him and stop fighting I think The fighters are starting to realize No one makes money with out them.

With Jones being P4P best fighter and the most dominant champ the UFC has right now, I think Jones has the character it takes to lead the new generation of fighters into the dawn of a new era where the Fighters aren't afraid and start taking control of their own careers and getting what they are worth.

TS, you heard Baby Jay left the UFC as champ many years ago?

We don't need progression for the sport, Zuffa needs that for their bank. All the fans need is to see that very best fighters in the world fight each other.

Progression in expansion around the world not just here in America. UFC still hasn't even hit below our border yet! If UFC overcompensates fighters then we lose fights ,not gain them. It costs a lot of money to run buildings and such the expenses for expansion around the world is a costly experiment only UFC at the moment can really do. A lot of work to be done to legitimize the sport around the world.

Back