Is the biggest problem with WMMA and beating Rhonda is the lack of 1 punch KO power?

No, I think it's most other women are just too physically weak to grapple with her or keep the fight standing.

Yeah that and also too physically weak to throw a punch sufficiently powerful enough to render Rhonda unconscious or even daze her.

"Rhonda" winning seven fights in a row means there's a problem, while Jon Jones winning 19 fights in a row means that he's great.

is it that she is so good at armbars, or that everyone else sucks at defending them

That's a good point and it's something I've thought of as well

They will make sure to keep her away from the person who can(Cyborg)

Actually they offered her to Cyborg. The fight didn't happen because Cyborg couldn't make 135, not because they protected Rousey.

White might like Rousey, but he likes money even more. If Cyborg can make 135 in the future, they'll put her against Rousey in a second.

I know some of the women have power, I'm not denying that. But many of them need to land multiple shots over the course of a round or more to wear their opponent down. Rhonda really only needs 1 takedown/trip and typically it's all over. I believe until someone can prove 1 punch KO power and force Rhonda to respect someone's standup she will continue to dominate.
Honestly, what's to stop her from wading through some punches to get the clinch? From there nobody has the skills to compete with her Judo or armbar.

Also, Tate is not that person. She does not have 1 punch KO power and I don't know any women currently in the UFC that actually do.

TS, one punch KO power will never be the answer in any division, men's or women's. If anything it is a lack of TD ability and TDD that cause sloppy fights on the feat and discrepancies when it comes to dealing with Ronda's judo and top control.

You always have to anticipate that your opponent will eat every strike you throw and keep coming. On that note McMahon needs to hurry up and get her but into the title picture! Her caliber of wrestling is what will help the whole division evolve.

TS, one punch KO power will never be the answer in any division, men's or women's. If anything it is a lack of TD ability and TDD that cause sloppy fights on the feat and discrepancies when it comes to dealing with Ronda's judo and top control.

You always have to anticipate that your opponent will eat every strike you throw and keep coming. On that note McMahon needs to hurry up and get her but into the title picture! Her caliber of wrestling is what will help the whole division evolve.

"McMahon" won't get into the title picture by pulling out of fights for "personal reasons" and never explaining.

is it that she is so good at armbars, or that everyone else sucks at defending them

both, Ronda is really good at armbars and most are bad at defending them(lower tier grappling skill), that's why you see people getting tapped in like 30 seconds. It's a case of someone being really good at them combined with people not really knowing that they are doing

Remember back in the day when Royce Gracie would take people down and submit everyone, that's what it looks like

Actually they offered her to Cyborg. The fight didn't happen because Cyborg couldn't make 135, not because they protected Rousey.

White might like Rousey, but he likes money even more. If Cyborg can make 135 in the future, they'll put her against Rousey in a second.

She could make it but would be weakened & Dana would do RR/Cyborg as long as Tito was not involved

The striking in men's MMA is quite often sloppy, in WMMA, its 10 times worse. It's like watching a pair of KOTC amateurs windmilling with their eyes closed, hoping something lands. Til Rousey faces a woman who can keep composure and deliver with power and accuracy, she won't be phased and will just waltz inside and trip her opponent down. There is no female in the UFC who can do this, sadly.

I'm curious to see if Sara McMann evolves to the point where she can make a fight with Rousey a standup battle.

The number one problem is that people are too stubborn, ignorant, and stuck up their own asses to appreciate wmma.

Or it's just not there thing.

I hear what you are saying regarding TDD but in my opinion, Rhonda doesn't really fear anyone striking b/c nobody that I've seen thus far, has enough power to really make her slow down and think. She can just bull rush through their strikes with very little fear of getting dazed. Once you are clinched with Rhonda you are in big trouble, unless you can avoid the throw or maybe hope she misses the hip toss slightly and you end up taking her back.

Sometimes it doesn't matter how good your TDD is. Even in men's, Bones, Phil Davis, Gleison Tibau, Sonnen, GSP, MM, etc. if these guys get you, you are usually going down. The big difference with these men is that they have to respect their opponents power, movement, and angles.

It plays a role, for sure. Because Ronda HAS been hit in her fights, sometimes several times, before she gets that clinch.

If she got hit like that from someone like Cyborg though, it might = lights out.

Also, a gal with a top level wrestling game might be able to stifle her Judo throws, and ground attack.

I would bet on this instead. Definitely try that approach, but the only one I can think that has a chance of pulling it off is McMann, neither Tate, Carmouche nor Zingano can.

I hear what you are saying regarding TDD but in my opinion, Rhonda doesn't really fear anyone striking b/c nobody that I've seen thus far, has enough power to really make her slow down and think.

Julia Budd (10-2 Muay Thai record including a win over Gina Carano) cracked Ronda with a right hook on the button and Ronda walked through it and subbed her under a minute. But maybe Julia Budd doesn't have any strength or power...

juliabuddvsgermaineredame3.jpg

...oops.

Julia Budd (10-2 Muay Thai record including a win over Gina Carano) cracked Ronda with a right hook on the button and Ronda walked through it and subbed her under a minute. But maybe Julia Budd doesn't have any strength or power...

juliabuddvsgermaineredame3.jpg

...oops.

Yeah, big muscles always = strong punches.

I_don_t_think_we_re_on_the_brink_of_WW3_because.gif

not saying she doesn't have ko power, just saying your reasoning is flawed.

Yeah, big muscles always = strong punches.

I_don_t_think_we_re_on_the_brink_of_WW3_because.gif

not saying she doesn't have ko power, just saying your reasoning is flawed.

Yeah, that was idiotic and the punch wasn't that significant at all.

Anyway, the biggest problem with WMMA is that women suck at submissions at this point. Almost every fight ends in submission.

Holly Holm has fight ending KO power; her MMA record is 4-0, all violent finishes. She's a former champion boxer and kickboxer. And although she hasn't been tested on the ground yet, if she continues to improve I see no reason why she shouldn't end up fighting in the UFC. Admittedly, I could be wrong; but again I don't see why she won't be considered at some point in the future: she's a babe (means fans), is learning, and has world-class striking (means fight fans).

I know some of the women have power, I'm not denying that. But many of them need to land multiple shots over the course of a round or more to wear their opponent down. Rhonda really only needs 1 takedown/trip and typically it's all over. I believe until someone can prove 1 punch KO power and force Rhonda to respect someone's standup she will continue to dominate.
Honestly, what's to stop her from wading through some punches to get the clinch? From there nobody has the skills to compete with her Judo or armbar.

Also, Tate is not that person. She does not have 1 punch KO power and I don't know any women currently in the UFC that actually do.

There is no problem. She has attained more wealth and fame than any other female MMA fighter ever. Does she have flaws to her game? Sure, but that hasn't stopped her from winning.

Back