Is the biggest problem with WMMA and beating Rhonda is the lack of 1 punch KO power?

TheNinja

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I know some of the women have power, I'm not denying that. But many of them need to land multiple shots over the course of a round or more to wear their opponent down. Rhonda really only needs 1 takedown/trip and typically it's all over. I believe until someone can prove 1 punch KO power and force Rhonda to respect someone's standup she will continue to dominate.
Honestly, what's to stop her from wading through some punches to get the clinch? From there nobody has the skills to compete with her Judo or armbar.

Also, Tate is not that person. She does not have 1 punch KO power and I don't know any women currently in the UFC that actually do.

That's a good point and it's something I've thought of as well

They will make sure to keep her away from the person who can(Cyborg)

It plays a role, for sure. Because Ronda HAS been hit in her fights, sometimes several times, before she gets that clinch.

If she got hit like that from someone like Cyborg though, it might = lights out.

Also, a gal with a top level wrestling game might be able to stifle her Judo throws, and ground attack.

No, I think it's most other women are just too physically weak to grapple with her or keep the fight standing.

the biggest problem with WMMA is that the fighters get fans based on looks rather than actuall skill

its more funny to me how if your fighting ronda you know exactly what shes trying to do and they can't stop it. as for women with one punch KO power, you don't see it a lot imo. I feel like cyborg is like the only one I can even think of that has KO power.
I think cat zingono (or w/e) could be a threat to ronda. cats a big girl for that weight class and might be hard for ronda to bully to the ground but she can't afford to start slow like she did against miesha .

That's basically what it is, can't hate on Ronda for that though. The women just aren't able to keep Ronda off of her, with punches or with grappling. I would say that it would never work in Men's MMA, but then you look at what Demian Maia is basically doing now so it's not entirely impossible.

That's basically what it is, can't hate on Ronda for that though. The women just aren't able to keep Ronda off of her, with punches or with grappling. I would say that it would never work in Men's MMA, but then you look at what Demian Maia is basically doing now so it's not entirely impossible.

The good news for women is that Ronda isn't in this sport for the long haul

You are correct. No 135 pounds wmma fighter is gonna KO Ronda or I suppose it is possible but not rather likely. Women in general lack the explosivness and mass to throw one ko punch and this surely helps Ronda.

She can basically just close the distance into clinch, maybe get tagged a little bit and then just throw her opponent to the floor. The only way I see her losing is either to a olympic level wrestler with top control who can put her on her ass when she tries to clinch up and can decision her standing. That or Kyra Gracie by some really impressive guard shit but I would maybe think Kyra lack atletic ability to compete with Ronda.

No 1 punch KO power and no movement or angles really either to land some shots and avoid the clinch too. They just sort of walk forward swinging wildly so if they don't get the KO, which they won't, they basically put themselves in the clinch and are already off balance from swinging.

No 1 punch KO power and no movement or angles really either to land some shots and avoid the clinch too. They just sort of walk forward swinging wildly so if they don't get the KO, which they won't, they basically put themselves in the clinch and are already off balance from swinging.

ha exactly they throw these weak windmill punches, who's beating her with that

It should be about perspective because we will relate KO power of a strong male fighter hitting another strong male fighter. A male surely has stronger jaw muscles and such which makes it more difficult to knock out aside from being hit by another strong male. A female I would assume has equivelant jaw and head structure compatible to her striking power which one would think to mean they could knock each other out similar to a man knocking another man out. The numbers clearly don't add up to support this so it obviously means women should not fight anything other than kitchenware. Ok that was a joke, I'm digging their fights! In reality, I assume their jaw muscular system is superior to their strength and speed abilities which is why they will have less KO's and likely more scraps like Julianna Pena. Still should provide for more entertainment for us.

Holly Holm or Cyborg are the only two girls I can think of KOing Rousey with one strike. Perhaps that girl Rothenhausler could do it too but she's pretty inexperienced.

I am beginning to think that the "Emotional Honda" is not Lways an act.
I think opponents might be able to use this in the ring to create mistakes.
I think a confusing/frustrating gameplan is a better bet than KO power. Not hype and shit talk. A real frustrating, movement/stamina based 5 round plan
Ms. Tate might have the athleticism to do it... Dunno about dicipline or fight IQ.

I never really thought about it but now that you pointed it out, I can't really think of any WMMA fights besides Cyborg where there was a big KO. The fights that do end with KOs are pretty much always TKOs from a bunch of strikes in a row and the loser isn't really "out", just pummeled.

Even Cyborg takes a few strikes to finish. Can't think of any true one punch KOs.

the biggest problem is her opponents go in fearing the armbar so much that they dedicate their camp to escapes and forget to fight offensively instead of survive

The general level of striking is really quite low.

I don't like it, the skill level just isn't there.

I like Invicta because the woman have their own platform, ufc just uses it to water down cards. we'll get a woman put #4 next to her name and act like it's a big fight

Cyborg isn't in the ufc so the division is basically worthless and just a platform to build Ronda

Back