Is taekwondo anygood for mma?

so we will never see a black belt tkd fighter be successful in mma? is that what you're saying? and i know theres alot of other tma's that use spinning back kicks..... theres other tma's out there that are really effective in mma (like gsp, machida, cung le), i just dont see tkd being one of them.... thats just my opinion.

i know exactly what you're talking about when you say certain techniques in other martial arts like mt and bjj dont work in mma. but you have fighters with mt base or bjj base and they're doing just fine in mma. how about tkd? the ts asked "is taekwondo anygood for mma?" and from what i can tell in you're post you agree with me.... its no good.

Cung Le got his kicks from TKD....Official Cung Le Website

He competed in Sanda/ San Shou, much like I'm a TKDer who competes in Muay Thai/Kickboxing

unless you really want to do taekewndo imparticuly; forget about it. it really wont provide much beneifit, just train more bjj or muay thai

You must be a super hero with the power of getting more hours in the day to train four different martial arts. In my oppinion you should stick to what you doing now. If you add TKD it will just give you less time to practise the others and your existing coaches wont take you as serious because you wont beable to put the required time into their disipline

I would just stick with what you are already doing. I think your current standup training regime sounds more than sufficient. If you trained in tkd or karate on top of that it might help improve your flexibility some and add a few unorthodox kicks to your arsenal but I think you are better off focusing on your current styles.

I'd guess you would be better off spending more time being able to apply the 3 arts you are studying now well then trying to learn more moves. While there are situations where a particular TKD strike might be ideal, its more likely that you'll wish you simply had the core moves down _well_ then added more.

Even at a high level in MMA, things are usually won by better BJJ, takedowns, jabs, crosses, low kicks then by spinning flying moves.

Classic example recently ... BJs win over Sherk. I mean these are two top tier lightweights and, BJ won because he had a better jab and foot movement. I suppose if your boxing is way ahead of BJs, you might be ready to invest the time in TKD.

Yeah, and I do Muy Thai, Sub wrestling and Judo. How about I learn fencing to complement my MMA ?

No on a serious note, I think it would be a bad idea.

The time you devote on TKD could be much better used by training more of what you already do, given that your goal is MMA.

Plus you'll get bad habits : kicking with the tip of the feet, not protecting, etc.

TKD is a beautiful art, but not appropriate for MMA.

Robbie Lawler is A tkd blackbelt. And he's the EliteXC middleweight champion.

Yeah, and I do Muy Thai, Sub wrestling and Judo. How about I learn fencing to complement my MMA ?

No on a serious note, I think it would be a bad idea.

The time you devote on TKD could be much better used by training more of what you already do, given that your goal is MMA.

Plus you'll get bad habits : kicking with the tip of the feet, not protecting, etc.

TKD is a beautiful art, but not appropriate for MMA.

Actually, I'd would (and do) take TKD (not fencing, but why not? :D) to complement a MMA regimen. While mixing art forms at any level will make one's technique less than optimal for any one specific art (due to differences in rulesets and conflicting muscle memorization), the foot-work used in TKD (let alone fencing) is so quick and fluent, I'd appreciate a level of grace and precision in my movements. I already hit hard enough. Accuracy and speed are the focus.

Not to say you won't develop this in other arts but realistically, different arts focus on different things. For example, A BJJ-er can have D1 wrestling caliber takedowns. But looking at the overall focus of the art, this isn't likely to happen often.

Once again, it comes down to what works for you, what you need to work on, and what you can make work.

**tangent**
Of course there's the tried and true MT, BJJ, Wrestling, Boxing mix. Looking at the history of MMA and the development of the UFC in particular, every time somebody brought something new to the table, it started an "era" if you will. Wrestlers, then BJJ, then Strikers (Boxing/Kickboxing), etc. Now it's (very arguably), "TMA" Karate, San Shou, etc (with questionable examples such as GSP, Cung Le, and Machida.) GSP is a poor example because his wrestling and overall athletic ability is usually head and shoulder above others. Cung Le...yeah. Machida is a great example though.

Point is, why not learn something different? I guess if you're looking to make a buck off of MMA, sure go with what works. If you're more willing to take a risk and possibly get a big advantage, try something different.

This sentiment (MMA = Boxing, BJJ, MT, Wrestling) makes me wonder how long MMA can be considered an amalgamation of fighting styles and not just a new style in of itself. Plenty of other "styles" focus on all ranges of fighting. I see in 50 years, MMA being recognized as a TMA.
**end tangent**

i think TKD is good because you can get gain much more flexibility and if you can adapt your kicks you can probably be really good like cung Le

did cung do TKD i don't remember

Why would you want to do these million style at the same time? Get two and you'll be alot better at them compared to training in a half dozen arts.

if you did TKD as a kid.. it will definately help your mma.. but to train TKD now... for mma.. isnt soo worth it

TKD can teach you how to kick for sure. I have a BB in TKD (From when I was a kid). It taught me how to kick but here is the weird thing. I only use 4 to 5 kicks total when I fight. There is no reason to learn jumping split kicks for MMA. Work on a handfull of kicks and do 100 kicks a day on each leg each type of kick and in 6 months you will kick better then most people out there. GOod luck.

Back