Is taekwondo anygood for mma?

From theory, not practice:

If you really have time for more classes on top of Boxing/MT/BJJ, I'd think you'd benefit more from some sort of grappling/wrestling form then another striking art.

Catch wrestling? Judo?

I have a BB in TKD but haven't trained it full time in a few years. In all honesty I like Thai much better because you train more on your hands and the kicks are much more powerful, as well as more with knees, elbows and clinchwork. We spent so much time doing forms in TKD instead of actual training or sparring that I got a bit sick of it after a while. I did love TKD for many reasons and have thought about getting back in it myself lately but don't have the time or money as I'm already training MT and BJJ.

If your already training those three just take more classes of them. You don't want to be the guy who trains everything but isn't as good at any of them as the guys who just train one thing more often.

ask anderson silva

ask him what? about how much more effective muay thai is?

this subject seems to come up alot..... ask yourself this. is there any mma fighters with a tkd base? kinda like how machida and gsp have a karate base..... kinda like how cro cop has a kickboxing base or cung le has a sanda base. ok.... now if there is a fighter with a tkd base.... is he good?

until its proven that tkd is effective in mma..... i sure as hell aint no believer. people always thought karate wasnt a good base until fighters like machida and gsp came around..... now everyone is believers...... no one believe kung fu was effective until they saw cung le whoop some ass.

this subject seems to come up alot..... ask yourself this. is there any mma fighters with a tkd base? kinda like how machida and gsp have a karate base..... kinda like how cro cop has a kickboxing base or cung le has a sanda base. ok.... now if there is a fighter with a tkd base.... is he good?

until its proven that tkd is effective in mma..... i sure as hell aint no believer. people always thought karate wasnt a good base until fighters like machida and gsp came around..... now everyone is believers...... no one believe kung fu was effective until they saw cung le whoop some ass.

I've seen spinning back kicks landed in MMA, but no axe kicks except in pure kickboxing. What you're asking for will never happen because the rules in sport TKD and MMA are too different. Next time you see someone land a spinning back kick in MMA, give TKD props because that's one of it's bread and butter kicks, don't expect to see anyone bouncing around with their hands down. It's the same with any style, there are things from BJJ that can't carry over to MMA because of the striking on the ground and even the basic Muay Thai kicking stance is bad for MMA because you're too open to takedowns.

tkd? karate? c'mon wat is this the teenage mutant ninja turtles?

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Karate Kid, The Last Dragon, Enter the Dragon, Who Am I, and Fearless.

TAEKWONDO IS GREAT! TAEKWONDO IS GREAT!

Is a TKD background useful?

It can be

If you are doing MMA you would be better off doing wrestling, MT, BJJ, and boxing. Maybe once in a while do some classes in TKD for fun.

Its good for kicks, flexibility, stretching, and cardio but very low correlation with mma.

obviously machida and le were believers before other people were

Bas has a brown belt,Cro Cop also trained in it as a kid.Did you ever saw them use TKD?

they dont use it.but having tkd as a base has give them benefits in speed and flexibility.and mixing it wif kickboxing and muaythai had make them more dangerous as the kicks in kb and mt are powerful. speed&flexiblity(taekwondo)+power(muaythai&kb)=crazy kicks

from what I've seen, good footwork, usually they pick things up fast.

I've seen spinning back kicks landed in MMA, but no axe kicks except in pure kickboxing. What you're asking for will never happen because the rules in sport TKD and MMA are too different. Next time you see someone land a spinning back kick in MMA, give TKD props because that's one of it's bread and butter kicks, don't expect to see anyone bouncing around with their hands down. It's the same with any style, there are things from BJJ that can't carry over to MMA because of the striking on the ground and even the basic Muay Thai kicking stance is bad for MMA because you're too open to takedowns.

so we will never see a black belt tkd fighter be successful in mma? is that what you're saying? and i know theres alot of other tma's that use spinning back kicks..... theres other tma's out there that are really effective in mma (like gsp, machida, cung le), i just dont see tkd being one of them.... thats just my opinion.

i know exactly what you're talking about when you say certain techniques in other martial arts like mt and bjj dont work in mma. but you have fighters with mt base or bjj base and they're doing just fine in mma. how about tkd? the ts asked "is taekwondo anygood for mma?" and from what i can tell in you're post you agree with me.... its no good.

My philosophy is that any martial art is great for MMA, even the slow art of Tai Chi. In Tai chi it's basically going through all the motions in slow motion while practicing the right form and the proper breathing, it may look awkward but trust me it helps. I'm not saying spend a whole lot of time on Tai Chi but it's very relaxing and good for your form.

Some aspects of TKD are great for MMA but other aspects like flipping around and what not are not going to do much good for you in the cage. However I would encourage you to try any form of martial art... the more styles you train in, the more knowledge you will have.

so we will never see a black belt tkd fighter be successful in mma? is that what you're saying?

No. What I was saying is that from what I gather you want to see someone in an MMA match sparring sport-TKD style, only kicking (not below the belt), barely punching (and none to the face), bouncing around on their toes with their hands held low...THAT will never happen.

bump

i signed up for taekwondo as an elective; what should i be expecting? i have 4 months of sanshou experience and 2 1/2 months of muay thai experience.

Back