Is taekwondo anygood for mma?

I was thinking about taking TKD but didn't know if it was really mma Suitable. I'v already started BJJ, boxing and Muay thai. So will TKD help any or would karate be better.

According to Joe Rogan.....NO!

In my opinion this is one of those things that comes down to the individual, not the art.
There will always be those guys that will excel no matter what they do. Learn a few kicks and punches and be able to kick the shit out of most street fighters. For them it won't matter what style it is. Then there are those that have no fight in them at all. Most times you can't put the fight in them or the proper mindset to win and the best they can hope for is to at least do better than before. Maybe now they have a slightly better chance than before.

But as for the system itself, most traditional systems, even the ones that produce good fighters, are usually lacking in the area of training methodology. They still "waste" a lot of time. It isn't the techniques, it is the way they choose to train. Time is wasted on endless basics or marching up and down the dojo floor or way too much kata practice. Many times all that is practiced are empty shapes rather than complete and meaningful technique outside of the kicks and punches. That type of training does nothing (or very little) for the non- fighter looking to become a fighter. Like I said, the naturals will excel at anything.

Then there is the issue of self defense...most traditional styles are meant for self protection which has nothing to do with fighting in a ring or cage. You train for your goal and these two have different training requirements as well as goals. Some overlap is natural.

Awesome to see another TKD enthusiast. The ignorance surrounding it really gets to me. People seem to think that just because there is no punching to the face in pure TKD competition and everyone keeps their guard low, that a TKD practitioner would not punch to the face and keep his guard low in a self defense situation. OR even worse, that a TKD practitioner would attempt a 540 spinning hook kick on the streets. Ridiculous...

The way you fight is the way you train. Or, "in a fight we do not rise to our expectations, instead we fall to the level of our training." Basically if you're trained to keep your hands down and rarely punch, well that's what you're programmed to do, and that's what you're gonna do in a fight, regardless of how many one steps or hosinsul dances you've done.

The majority of TKD these days, at least in the US, is sport TKD oriented, and is even pretty crummy for that, let alone MMA. The training methods are questionable too - the forms, one steps, hosinsul, are all choreographed and are a waste of time.

Only do TKD if you truly like and want to do TKD, or want to compete in TKD. It has evolved so much as a sport and incorporated so much McDojo and Bullshido that it is hard to use well outside of it's own tournament context. Some people have made it work, especially in K1, but it takes a significant amount of training and cross training to fill in the holes, to the point where money and time become an issue.

In my opinion this is one of those things that comes down to the individual, not the art. ... It isn't the techniques, it is the way they choose to train. Time is wasted on endless basics or marching up and down the dojo floor or way too much kata practice. Many times all that is practiced are empty shapes rather than complete and meaningful technique outside of the kicks and punches. That type of training does nothing (or very little) for the non- fighter looking to become a fighter. Like I said, the naturals will excel at anything.

Its BOTH the way you train and the techniques you use. If your style consists of high risk techniques that require amazing timing and very little margin of error then your style isn't gonna work for even the most talented fighters. Even the best boxers in the world don't fight like Price Hamed and there is a reason for that.

Its BOTH the way you train and the techniques you use. If your style consists of high risk techniques that require amazing timing and very little margin of error then your style isn't gonna work for even the most talented fighters. Even the best boxers in the world don't fight like Price Hamed and there is a reason for that.

excellent point, best post in the thread

I was thinking about taking TKD but didn't know if it was really mma Suitable. I'v already started BJJ, boxing and Muay thai. So will TKD help any or would karate be better.

I think Judo would be more useful, but I am sure a little TKD would not hurt. It's always good to add a few things to your repertoire.

if you want to add another art for the hell of it, go for judo as previous poster said. TKD sucks

You have Boxing & Muay Tha for your stand-up game, and BJJ for the ground, why not add a style of Wrestling, or take No-Gi Grappling classes? Almost every move in Judo utilizes grabbing/pulling the Gi, and in MMA there is no Gi, also it should be noted that Judo is more of a sport, derived from Jujitsu, not really an art it self.

WTF?
1. How the fuck did judo enter the discussion?
2. You do realize there are numerous MMA fighters who implement judo in MMA, don't you? The gi doesn't seem to hinder them.
3. Judo isn't art itself and is a sport? Pretty much every martial art that's been successfully used in MMA is a sport. Boxing, muay thai, BJJ, and wrestling are basic ones. Are these sports and not a martial art in themselves? It's a weird statement to make without defining what "sport" and "art" is and how it fits in what you're discussing.

No, man. What he's saying is that the OP take Judo instead.

TKD might even be useful. Just keep training and make it adapt to MT.

Oh my bad, this is a kickboxing match and you're asking about MMA. Well this is still a good example of an effective axe kick.....

ax kicks work great for an opponent who is down on the ground. It's a downwards accelerated kick. Kicking to the head while in mma with Ax kick is moronic unless you are going against a fighter who is mostly a striker and doesn't plan on going to the gorund such as Cro Cop did to Mark Hunt.d

GSP ax kicking was awesome.

ax kicks work great for an opponent who is down on the ground. It's a downwards accelerated kick. Kicking to the head while in mma with Ax kick is moronic unless you are going against a fighter who is mostly a striker and doesn't plan on going to the gorund such as Cro Cop did to Mark Hunt.d

GSP ax kicking was awesome.

can you give me multiple examples where the axe kick was used against a downed opponent with significant sucess in high lvl mma? Because of all the pride fights i have seen, most of the kicks against a downed opponent was done via soccer kicks (with the bullfighter pass) or jump stomps ala chute boxe.

can you give me multiple examples where the axe kick was used against a downed opponent with significant sucess in high lvl mma? Because of all the pride fights i have seen, most of the kicks against a downed opponent was done via soccer kicks (with the bullfighter pass) or jump stomps ala chute boxe.

Milton Bahia used one to finish Haroldo Victoriano Bunn (sp) in a vale tudo tournament in Brazil. Bunn quit due to broken ribs, I think.

so that's the "multiple examples where the axe kick was used against a downed opponent with significant sucess in high lvl mma?"

great.

is that the guy who got fucken assraped in strikeforce?

Yeah, but he was point karate turned WCL fighter. If anything, his ass whooping is proof that the WCL will die a miserable death.

Back