Is taekwondo anygood for mma?

schristian

White Belt
Reaction score
I was thinking about taking TKD but didn't know if it was really mma Suitable. I'v already started BJJ, boxing and Muay thai. So will TKD help any or would karate be better.

What is your goal?

TKD is considered a pure martial art and forms practice is priority. If all you want to do is fight the you do not need the forms/kata stuff.

it depends. But you're already taking BJJ, boxing and muay thai. You think you can handle training another martial art?

I would say that boxing, Muay Thai and BJJ would negate the need for TKD or karate. Thai kicks would be better suited to MMA and that means you would have to alter the karate or TKD kicking methods...so what's the point? Another factor, IMO, is the strategy involved for MMA. Traditional arts don't normally cover the phases of distance or even posture needed for MMA. Most karate or TKD practitioners who decide to get into MMA usually start training in the disciplines you're training in now. They look to improve their hands through boxing, their kicking, clinching and also more hand technique through Muay Thai and ground from BJJ. Personally I don't se it as a help.

Another factor, IMO, is the strategy involved for MMA. Traditional arts don't normally cover the phases of distance or even posture needed for MMA.

^^ basically. They are two different sports. But it can be a great supplement.

TKD

Pros:
Light on feet
Speed
Kicking Accuracy

Cons:
Maybe too restricted for full contact situations depending on the style. (point sparring vs olympic)
Not much work on punching technique
The competition rules set develops questionable habits

Like all arts, it has something to offer. But rather than pigeonholing the entire art, see how classes are around you and what they can offer. In my experience, my TKD training is decidedly different than the majority of the schools in my state.

TKD

Pros:
Light on feet
Speed
Kicking Accuracy

Cons:
Maybe too restricted for full contact situations depending on the style. (point sparring vs olympic)

Like all arts, it has something to offer. But rather than pigeonholing the entire art, see how classes are around you and what they can offer. In my experience, my TKD training is decidedly different than the majority of the schools in my state.

This guy is pretty spot on on the PROS/CONS of TKD for MMA. I will also add to the list of PROS, the use of spin kicks. (they aren't for everyone, but if you use them effectelvy it gives your opponent something else to think about

There is nothing wrong with TKD or any Traditional Martial Art. Everything has something to offer. Take and use what works for you.

Well the TKD front kicks, axe kicks, and spinning back kicks are very effective if one knows how to do them, but the round houses etc are a bit too weak. I would look into muay thai for round house kicks.

I mean if you have the time, I say go for it. The greatest benefit you'll probably get out TKD is the flexibility, adding way more kicks to your arsenal, and fun :icon_chee

This guy is pretty spot on on the PROS/CONS of TKD for MMA. I will also add to the list of PROS, the use of spin kicks. (they aren't for everyone, but if you use them effectelvy it gives your opponent something else to think about

There is nothing wrong with TKD or any Traditional Martial Art. Everything has something to offer. Take and use what works for you.

GSP, yup.

Yeah the Axe kick is sweet if you can employ it well. Look up anything Jason Bourelly on youtube for a full contact axe kick in action.

EDIT - in fact here is the video i posted in another thread showing Bourelly use that TKD axe kick:

http://www.youtube.com/v/Muy7tFeW61M&hl=en

Employing spinning back is good. Dont try to use it too much or you will be timed for it.
Training TKD techniques in your MMA arsenal wont hurt you..it will hurt them.:icon_twis

TKD

Pros:
Light on feet
Speed
Kicking Accuracy

Cons:

Spot on!

TKD as a form of combat is not as applicable to MMA as Muay Thai and BJJ, in my opinion.

However, it is very usefull as said above, for gaining dexterity, flexibility, agility, foot speed etc...... Some of the takewondo kicks are great for setting up other, more powerful strikes. GSP uses that snap roundkick to set up takedowns and power punches really well, so does A Silva to set up his striking. Machida obviously uses a lot of TKD type movements. I think it can be effective used correctly and it can never hurt to add to your arsenal.

Although, training BJJ, MT and TKD all at the same time without having at least a couple years of training in one specific style, could cause bad habits and may just leave you totally confused. More so with MT and TKD! since BJJ is a ground art. I think Boxing would be the most beneficial thing to add with MT or BJJ.

Spot on!

TKD as a form of combat is not as applicable to MMA as Muay Thai and BJJ, in my opinion.

Really? A pure TKD guy and a pure MT guy both with no grappling experience will have just as bad of a takedown defense as the other. A pure BJJ guy with no striking experience will have a hard time dealing with ground and pound as he has never had to worry about being hit before. Don't you know that Marcelo Garcia is 0-1 in MMA?

Don't bother. TKD works great against TKD guys, good against karate and kick boxing, lousy for MMA.

Limited use of spinning back kicks (not spinning hooks, crescents, etc.) can be effective. There are spinning back kicks in MT (Teh Glub Lang) and axe kicks in MT (Teh Khao) They are not as commonly used because they are low percentage techniques.

The axe kick is usefull for all forms of kickboxing. There is no kick from TMA more likely to get you tooled by takedowns and footsweeps in MMA.

Really? A pure TKD guy and a pure MT guy both with no grappling experience will have just as bad of a takedown defense as the other. A pure BJJ guy with no striking experience will have a hard time dealing with ground and pound as he has never had to worry about being hit before. Don't you know that Marcelo Garcia is 0-1 in MMA?

:icon_confI dont disagree that both will not have the necessary takedown defense for MMA. However, yes!, i believe MT is definetely more applicable to MMA than TKD. In MT you spend a lot of time working clinch, low kicks, knees, elbows......etc. techniques much more applicable to MMA than TKD. More so than anything the clinch work that TKD does not incorporate. Not to mention, sparring and striking in MT tends in most cases to be far more aggressive and more suited to actual combat vs scoring points. Not to say that some TKD guys are very good MMA strikers, there are some. However, more MT/Boxing/kickboxing disciplined strikers are successful at MMA, and even more BJJ guys than the previously mentioned. I think MMA under it's current rules is much better suited to wrestler/grappler/gnp type fighters than pure strikers.

Certain aspects of TKD work, of course, but it's up to you to draw that line.

For me yes tae kwon do has been helpful but i've also been doing it for about 9 years. Tae kwon do is limited but just like every other art there are things you can take away from it such as flexibility, faster kicks, more accurate kicks but the thing is that takes a lot of time to get good at, I've been in it for 9 years and I still suck but all in all if your willing to put up with everything else tae kwon do gives you then yes you can get something good out of it

TKD

Pros:
Light on feet
Speed
Kicking Accuracy

Why don't you just train with a guy who does TKD to get those benefits, instead of learning TKD?

If you go to a true, non-McDojo TKD school then as with all traditional martial arts you are going to be learning self defense techniques like locks and trips, grappling that are already covered by your BJJ.

In addition as someone mentioned you'll waste a lot of time learning kata (or rather poomsae in TKD)

The only REAL pro I would say of actually advancing belt ranks in TKD is to practice cool kicks (which is legitimate reason). When I did TKD the best part of it was doing all these movie kicks and acrobatic moves. Very fun

Why would you take Boxing, BJJ, Muay Thai, AND TKD?

Honestly?

Yeah the Axe kick is sweet if you can employ it well. Look up anything Jason Bourelly on youtube for a full contact axe kick in action.

EDIT - in fact here is the video i posted in another thread showing Bourelly use that TKD axe kick:

http://www.youtube.com/v/Muy7tFeW61M&hl=en

Oh my bad, this is a kickboxing match and you're asking about MMA. Well this is still a good example of an effective axe kick.....

Back