Is Sonnen still as hungry as he was in 09-2012?

Readybodisready

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't think so. He had a certain ferocity and hunger that I haven't seen from his since Anderson seemingly took his soul in their rematch. The guy that bulldozed Stan and even Silva to the matt repeatedly and had no quit in him, I don't think he's that guy anymore. I look at his recent fight against Evans and I just see a guy who broke way too easily.

It's funny how everybody and even he himself thought that he had one foot out of the sport and then he somehow works his way into a titleshot against Jones, and this was right after Silva finished him in 2. A year later we see an almost carbon copy of that situation. The guy is some politician, I don't know how many more times he can get himself into these perfect positions.

Point is, Sonnen is past his best both mentally and physically, but especially mentally now that the TRT is no longer in his preperation, it must be even easier to break him down than before. Seems like his life-long dream of winning a belt is what still keeps him going. Tell me Sonnen fans(BTW, anybody else notice that a ton of Sonnen avatars have showed up since the news yesterday? LOL Sonnen fans rejoice) can you convince me that he won't quit against Vitor?

I don't think so. He had a certain ferocity and hunger that I haven't seen from his since Anderson seemingly took his soul in their rematch. The guy that bulldozed Stan and even Silva to the matt repeatedly and had no quit in him, I don't think he's that guy anymore. I look at his recent fight against Evans and I just see a guy who broke way too easily.

It's funny how everybody and even he himself thought that he had one foot out of the sport and then he somehow works his way into a titleshot against Jones, and this was right after Silva finished him in 2. A year later we see an almost carbon copy of that situation. The guy is some politician, I don't know how many more times he can get himself into these perfect positions.

Point is, Sonnen is past his best both mentally and physically, but especially mentally now that the TRT is no longer in his preperation, it must be even easier to break him down than before. Seems like his life-long dream of winning a belt is what still keeps him going. Tell me Sonnen fans(BTW, anybody else notice that a ton of Sonnen avatars have showed up since the news yesterday? LOL Sonnen fans rejoice) can you convince me that he won't quit against Vitor?

No because he doesnt have to starve himself to make weight anymore.

Ohh Sherdog-esque meme humor right from the start. Exclamation mark, exclamation mark.

was August 17, 2013 in between 2009 to 2012?

So he might show a flash of the past here and there, sure. But Rua's wrestling is too weak to give Sonnen any adversity at all, otherwise he would have made him quit like Evans, Jones and Silva did.

Vitor just strikes too much fear into fighters. I've never seen another fighter make his opponent defend himself so terribly during his blitz, his mix of explosive power and speed and on top of that a huge variety of angles will make Sonnen quit for sure.

I really doubt it. I think he's on the path of focusing to be a talking head for the UFC, like Stann. I love both guys, but there are a lot less punches to take when you have a mic in your hand.

Of course he is. If you're not fighting to be World Champion, why are you fighting?

So he might show a flash of the past here and there, sure. But Rua's wrestling is too weak to give Sonnen any adversity at all, otherwise he would have made him quit like Evans, Jones and Silva did.

Vitor just strikes too much fear into fighters. I've never seen another fighter make his opponent defend himself so terribly during his blitz, his mix of explosive power and speed and on top of that a huge variety of angles will make Sonnen quit for sure.

that's a pretty sad apology for an obvious hole in your question/hypothesis. there are like 2 people under HW who wouldn't lose to both Jones and Rashad. Chael is not one of them. therefore the fact that he did lose to both of them AND beat Shogun doesn't mean shit. quit trying so hard to find facts where there are none.

it's possible you're just trying to view Chael negatively simply to "balance out" page 1 of the forums that are so heavily uber-Chael-nuthugger right now. and on a certain emotional level i don't disparage the attempt, because said nuthuggers are annoying as shit. but the fact is, Chael's a very decent (not GREAT) fighter. hopefully Vitor gets 10 or 12 machine gun punches in before the ref stops it when he kicks Chael's head off, heh.

Can't quit when you're unconscious and I say that as a Chael fan.

Chael also threw blows toe to toe with Anderson as soon as the bell rang with no fear. Nobody had done that prior in the UFC. Everyone was scared. I really doubt he is gonna run from Vitor.

Vitor is gonna get Randy Coutured... Chael by UD.

Chael is a pressure fighter. When he can't pressure, he has problems.

Vitor has been on an incredible roll lately but has had trouble with guys like Chael in the past. Randy's style wasn't so dissimilar when he beat Vitor before, I think Chael has a legit shot.

I was really interested to see Chael fight a guy who is no where near the top of a division like Wand. Vitor will likely eat his lunch

yes, the GOAT sonnen is hungrier then ever, he's going to dominate vitor then get that 185 and 205 strap at the same damn time, two fights, one nite, two titles

Eff no he donr cut nearly as much weight now

Back