Is showing up and not fighting the same as taking a dive?

Garnet_StrongerThanYou

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Looking at the most recent Rampage fight, when he showed up ridiculously overweight and gross and gave up the moment he was hit.

Is that different from taking a dive?

he didn’t even try to win.

i thought the consensus on the boards was that rampage took a dive? or was that just a vocal minority preaching that?

usually people that take a dive are heavy favorites, and they get paid to lose so that people that bet against them can win big. Fedor was the favorite going into this fight, so it wouldn't make much sense for Rampage to take a dive. He just took the fight for the paycheck, didn't train, then showed up and quit quick.

Looking at the most recent Rampage fight, when he showed up ridiculously overweight and gross and gave up the moment he was hit.

Is that different from taking a dive?

he didn’t even try to win.
He did try to throw some punches. He was just so fat and slow that Fedor was never in danger.
Honestly showing up in that shape,there is no way he was fit to fight. That's why he looked like shit when Fedor hit him and it wasnt really satisfying to watch,because rampage was an overweight bum in this fight. I dont think he didnt wanna win,no one wants to get koed,but its pretty bad that he showed up looking like that. We all know he blows up in between fights but his motivation must be at an all time low and he kind of wasted everyone's time.

usually people that take a dive are heavy favorites, and they get paid to lose so that people that bet against them can win big. Fedor was the favorite going into this fight, so it wouldn't make much sense for Rampage to take a dive. He just took the fight for the paycheck, didn't train, then showed up and quit quick.
I dont think Fedor was the favorite going in. People thinking they'd get classic rampage figured rampage's boxing and epic chin would give Fedor problems. But he was too fat and slow to offer much resistance. That being said,I dont see the point to fix this fight,especially since theres nothing to be gained from beating a guy who showed up unfit to fight. You dont need to fix that.

Vocal and stupid minority
People just HATE an unsatisfying fight/conclusion. That's why people hated bisping for getting the nod against hamill,as if he judged his own fight. That's why people hate diego for not continuing after getting an illegal knee to the face,that's why people hated the conor/cerrone fiasco. There were things to be mad at in those situations but fight fixing is reaching way too far. The Blame Game is real.

Choosing to take a beating is different than pretending to take a beating.

A dive is like having a safe word, not coming to fight is ironically like voluntary, well, it rhymes with ape.

Who chooses to take a beating???

Some fighters are mentally defeated before the fight. Tyson vs Spinks and many of Mike's opponents for example. Anderson had a similar ability to get fighters fighting scared.

Rampage looked to have no motivation for that Fedor fight and I would not want to see him at HW anymore. He had to cut to make 265 lbs FFS.

Ceronne seemed to be mentally defeated heading into the McGregor fight as well. Said he would rather lose an Epic war then to win a smart fight with a TD and a sub. (paraphrasing not quoting). I have not ever heard a fighter say how they would like lose. That had me certain that he wasn't worth an underdog bet unless the odds were 10 - 1 or greater.

I dont think Fedor was the favorite going in. People thinking they'd get classic rampage figured rampage's boxing and epic chin would give Fedor problems. But he was too fat and slow to offer much resistance. That being said,I dont see the point to fix this fight,especially since theres nothing to be gained from beating a guy who showed up unfit to fight. You dont need to fix that.
when I say favorite I mean betting favorite. Fedor was for sure the favorite. I remember this because I threw some money on Rampage when I saw that he was an underdog. Rampage hasn't looked great in a long time, but he's mostly lost decisions. Fedor has been getting knocked out a lot, so I figured a chinny Fedor vs an out of shape rampage would be a solid bet for Rampage to land one and win it.

I lost, obliviously. But Fedor was definitely the favorite, as far as the odds went.

I wouldn’t put too much thought into it. This is sherdog; if a fighter is unprepared or has a bad night it means they threw the fight.

Back