1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

is saying margarito used plaster against cotto a baseless accusation?

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by RoySweetpeaAli**, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoySweetpeaAli** Blue Belt

he has never been caught entering the ring with plaster and there is ZERO indication he used plaster against miguel cotto.

just got an infraction for this

because of

nothing about margarito in there. just pacquiao.

protect manny pacquiao and his merchandise empire at all costs!!!!

2. uppercuts21 Brown Belt

Well, you have to put it this way. Why would Margarito NOT load his gloves against the undefeated, best WW in the world, in the BIGGEST fight of his career in front of a HBO PPV audience and a sold out MGM grand arena?

BUT, load his gloves against an old, past his prime fighter who just went tooth and nail against Ricardo Mayorga? Nearly all boxing experts picked Margarito to not only win but destroy Mosley.

Only Margarito and his trainer know. We will never know. But lets just put it this way, it certainly makes alot of sense why Margarito has been traditionally a SLOW starter.

3. RoySweetpeaAli** Blue Belt

baseless accusations i say! pure hogwash you despicable bastard!

4. uppercuts21 Brown Belt

I wouldnt be surprised if he loaded them against Pwill as well.

5. quickdraw*** Blue Belt

Well Marg was caught with hand wraps PAC was not caught with stroids. So its really as simple as that.

6. RoySweetpeaAli** Blue Belt

i could write a ten page rant about how margarito should be in prison for attemted murder of cotto, even though there is zero proof of this.

yet when i say something about pacquiao....jesus then its a fuckin crime against humanity

cotto has two losses. he got his faced turned into hamburger in both. one was two a guy whos 5'11 and was probably 165 in the ring that night and he still needed plaster. the other is to a guy whos 5'6 and couldnt even make it to 145 lb at the wiegh in.

do the fucking math people

7. quickdraw*** Blue Belt

He got caught with wraps, what are you talking about? I mean do you really think this shit you spew? Pwill said after their fight, "I've never in my life felt punches like that" this is WAY before he got caught with wraps. Ok you just said it yourself PAC couldn't make weight if he were on roids then he'd be bigger then the weight no problem. You just need to dig that at least there is a bases to say "Marg wore wraps and beat Cotto senseless" there is NO, none what so ever to say PACs on Steroids thats why he beat Cotto. Your just a hater, quit crying. Pacquiao beat him in flurries and with speed, also Cotto has paper skin and swells easy. Pacquiao busted him flush a couple times and they weren't crippling shots.

8. RoySweetpeaAli** Blue Belt

you sir have two things you need to correct. a fundemental misunderstanding of how roids work. a love for pacquiao that will not be rattled even when the truth is staring you in the face.

a 5'11 guy wieghing 165 lbs and had plaster in his gloves gets the same result as a 5'6 guy wieghing 144 lbs whos clean? riiiiiiight

9. quickdraw*** Blue Belt

great rebuttal.

I actually have a very intimate understanding of juice. Same results? Cotto teed off on Marg for 6 fucking rounds you clown he couldn't dent him and then Marg took over.

Cotto was in control for 2 1/2 rnds with Pacquiao.

267-marg
    280-cotto

336-pac
    172- cotto

These are completely different fights.

10. MMAmouse Brown Belt

11. Sandman0405 Yellow Belt

The 5'6" 144 lb guy is also much better fighter.

I don't want to jump into the whole "he's on roids/no he's not" conversation. But the skill level between Margarito and Pacquiao are worlds apart in ways that has nothing to do with PEDs or handwraps. Marg throws looping, wide shots anyone can see coming. Pacquiao throws sharp, quick punches with both hands from weird angles. Their skill level is worlds apart.

The one thing they do have in common though, is they both are on the constant attack.

Cotto is a good fighter, not quite a great fighter. Anyone who saw his fights against Torres or Mosley knows his defense is shaky and he gets hit a lot. Against guys like Margarito and Pacquiao, who throw anywhere from 70-90 punches a round, it's inevitable that going to get tagged a lot.

I would venture that Paul Williams, or any other who is constantly working and throwing punches, would end up with the same result against Cotto.

12. 5acrossYOeye Silver Belt

saying margarito has loaded gloves versus Cotto is pure assumption.

13. RoySweetpeaAli** Blue Belt

they both end in the late rounds with one of the toughest and resilient guys out there hamburder faced

14. quickdraw*** Blue Belt

So 5 what do you "Assume"?

Roy we'll just have to agree to disagree, didn't mean to troll.

15. RoySweetpeaAli** Blue Belt

fair enough

16. It wasn't the same result. Pac tore his face up with blinding speed. Margarito did it with slow (for pro boxing standards) punches that didn't look like they had much on them. Also, Cotto won 5 of the first 6 rounds in dominating fashion. Pac had his number for nearly the entire fight.

I think Margarito did use the plaster against Cotto. Why wouldn't he? Cotto was the #1, undefeated WW in the world and Mosley looked like shit in his previous fight. I don't see why he'd use them against a past his prime underdog and not use them in the biggest fight of his career.

As for Pacman, he is incredibly skilled. Steroids give a guy some power, but they don't teach technique, head movement, foot movement, and combos. Thats natural ability and coaching. I'm not saying the man is clean, because my opinion in pro sports is that ANYBODY could be cheating, and MANY of them do, even if its not proven. And i'm damn sure not gonna change my stance on this because a guy passes some joke of a drug test that boxing throws at them. But its a proven fact...speed kills in boxing. And pac has speed. And Pac landed A LOT more punches than Margarito, on a Cotto that doesn't quite pull the trigger like he used to. There are a lot of factors to that fight that make it different than the Margarito fight.

What about Sugar Ray Leonard knocking out Donny Lalonde and Tommy Hearns? Or Sugar Ray Robinson knocking out top notch middleweights even though he was a WW? Or Rocky Marciano being one of the most devastating punchers in boxing history, even against guys that weighed 250+, even though Marciano weighed about 190 at 5'11". Boxing is a sport where the smaller guy can win if he has the skills and determination.

Its a never ending debate, and by the time its all said and done I hope Pac has taken the random blood testing and proven that he's clean. i hope he is, it would be a damn shame to find out he's been cheating all these years.

17. ThirdPartyView Keeping Jack Dempsey from ducking

The difference between arguing that Margarito wore plaster against Cotto and Pacquiao using steroids is that there is proof of Margarito using plaster in his next fight against Mosley so to assert that he had previously been using but was able to evade detection of 'loading up' would not be out of the realm of viable possibility as a claim. On the other hand, there is no evidence of Pacquiao actually using PEDs, only unsubstantiated hearsay and opinions (which would suggest absolute libel).

I was actually rather generous by only giving you a single yellow for your infraction (rather than double yellows), but perhaps I was too generous given the public temper tantrum about the carding; I won't make that mistake again.

Oh, BTW, you seem to have not read the forum rules, because by quoting my PM, you violated this ban infraction:

While re-registering, you may want to familiarize yourself with the rules so future situations like this won't happen - thanks.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.