Is Sakuraba the most exploited fighter of all time?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by ReasonableMMAFan, Dec 23, 2016.

1. ReasonableMMAFan

ReasonableMMAFan Banned Banned

Organizations took advantage of his willingness to fight anybody at any weight. I think Sakuraba could of been spared a lot of injuries and brain damage if he had been made to fought at WW/LW.

Moral Victory likes this.
  2. Sonny Qc

Sonny Qc Gold Belt

3. AndyMaBobs

AndyMaBobs Brown Belt

Y'know your basement? Well right underneath that.
    Pretty much, yeah.

Sonny Qc likes this.
  4. soulsstealer

soulsstealer Silver Belt

I think it might just be a japanese mentality.

Sonny Qc likes this.
  5. PivotPunch

PivotPunch Red Belt

In MMA? Possibly. In combat sports? he is also at the top but Primo Carnera possibly beats him. It worked out for him though kinda

6. manboy<3

manboy<3 don't card me bro

Jon Jones is the most Exploited you can see what they did to him in those bland eyes that know only suffering and sorrow

2nd Most exploited is Rampage he didn't even have a PlayStation despite helping PRIDE reach mainstream popularity and was envisioned by PRIDE STAFF and the Japanese people as a homeless black man who wandered into the arena and would not leave unless given a fight

The third most exploited is King Mo for reasons which are not yet clear to me

7. 13Seconds

13Seconds Red Belt

He's a grown man though

HHJ likes this.
  8. HHJ

HHJ Fedor Supremacist

Oh stop making him a victim. He wanted to do it. In the end its his decision.

Which Doctor likes this.
  9. RoninJin

RoninJin Holla At Me If You Like My Avatar

Sakuraba does not give a fuck. Dude is a natural MW and fought Wandy and Cro Cop in their prime.

Which Doctor and HHJ like this.
  10. wowspare

wowspare Brown Belt

Saku was fat and pudgy at 183lbs, and cut no weight. By today's standards, he would be a LW fighter.
    A natural LW who beat Rampage, Kevin Randleman and Vitor Belfort. Can you imagine Donald Cerrone beating Alexander Gustaffson or Daniel Cormier?

He fought for a competitive 15 minutes against Igor Vovchanchyn, who was the fucking man at HW, the scariest KO artist at the time. But Saku had to throw in the towel after the first 15 minutes due to exhaustion. Because this was right after beating Royce in an epic 90 minute war, the most historic fight in MMA history.

His fights with the Gracies made people reevaluate BJJ's stronghold in MMA. An awesome finisher, great positional grappling, tough wrestler, and could latch on to submissions anywhere. He submitted some of the best fighters that the LHW/HW divisions had to offer at that time, and his rivalry with the Gracies needs no explanation. One of the few guys that fought literally anyone. His fuck-logic-and-rules aura was truly one of a kind in MMA. Introduced the cartwheel guard pass. Sakuraba submitted Royler in the same year that Royler won Gold in ADCC, World Jiu Jitsu Championships and Pan American Championships. He also submitted Renzo in the same year that Renzo won gold in ADCC.

The one and only Gracie Hunter.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  11. DanaWhitesButler

DanaWhitesButler Brown Belt

He needed a proper manager to prevent him from making stupid decisions like this. The love and admiration of your fans isn't going to feed you and wipe your ass when you're disabled and suffering dementia at age 60.

12. katsikias

katsikias Orange Belt

Saku bless! A true pioneer

A.S. Deep likes this.
  13. KillerIsBack V2

KillerIsBack V2 Black Belt

lol at Sakuraba, being a natural MW.
    The ending of of CroCop fight he looked like he was gonna die, despite winning on both ground and feet technically. most people don't understand how much of a big deal weight classes are.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  14. Metal_Daze

Metal_Daze Geonor St Gregor

Or at least, he should be a multi-billionaire. Easy, they would just have to pay him 1 grand for every devastating shot he took...

A.S. Deep likes this.
  15. Lemmy Caution

Lemmy Caution Purple Belt

Yamamoto: Thanks to that fight [Arona], Sakuraba has freed himself.
    Sakakibara: You think it freed him? He called me the day after the fight. He was laughing and asked me to put together his next fight soon.
    Pride: What an amazing guy!

16. Vil7

Vil7 Silver Belt

Igor kicked his ass. Sakuraba wasn't able to mount much offense after getting 2 takedowns.

17. Bobby Boulders

Bobby Boulders My Lovin' Is Digi Platinum Member

I mean, Mike Tyson comes to mind...

18. Moral Victory

Moral Victory Black Belt

Yep, my man Saku

19. Torrid

Torrid Cunning Linguist

Not in the capacity the OP is speculating; the open weight bouts were ultimately his decision to take and a large part of his legend.

The way he got fucked out of money by Takada? Yeah - that sucks.

20. Sakuraba7

Sakuraba7 Black Belt

He wasn't exploited in PRIDE, he wanted to fight the big names and the big fighters. Even today he prides his rivalry with Wand, they even had a grappling exhibition match a while ago in RIZIN.

Its FEG that exploited him, however. They did that rematch with Royce in the US, where Royce won a gift decision under unified rules, and then tested positive but the decision was not changed to a NC. Despite their previous match being no time-limits and no ref stoppages at Royce's request. Absolutely dumb of them to make a rematch with the new ruleset.

Then FEG put him against Ralek Gracie to milk his "Gracie Hunter" reputation. Saku fought a guy 17 years his younger and of course lost. FEG (Hero's / Dream) single handedly killed his legacy. In some ways it was karma as well, since Saku jumped ship to Hero's a year before Pride ultimately fell. Had he stuck around, PRIDE likely would not have been dropped by FujiTV.