Is running an ultra marathon bad for the body?

If running a few times a week is some drastical endeavor that requires medical attention, you need more than medical attention because you're fucked.
The average american is obese and has a lifetime of avoiding medical attention due to the cost.

A lot of the information on the internet for getting in shape recommends exercises that are damaging to your joints and carries a high risk of injury if the person following that advice is 40-50 pounds overweight and lacks *any* technique or workout experience.

You know how many people wake up one day and think "I should get in shape", start running and break their fucking ankle because they have no clue what they are doing and the last time they did any serious exercise was gym class 15 years ago?

If you are on a forum asking if running 100 miles could possible be detrimental to your health, you might just want to have a chat with someone who can take a look at you before recommending where to begin.

LOL @ the 3 amigos railing on their internet investigation
@TerryMCLOOPS
@KnightTemplar
@wutabufa
For some reason these individuals have been empowered by internet anonymity to flex online chiming into a thread in order to squeal dramatic accusations

While this is endlessly entertaining to me I am more interested in discussing the interesting fallacies that continue to persist throughout Combat Sports history especially that steady state cardio has a place in a Fighters training regimen

People that have paid money to learn fallacies are naturally very defensive when someone with a long-standing record of hard work dedication and sacrifice shows up and explains the simple Logistics of their false belief

The simple fact is steady state cardio destroys fast twitch muscle fibers and replaces them with slow twitch muscle fibers while going through a host of physiological changes designed to make the human body more capable of propelling itself forward utilizing the minimum amount of energy possible

It is almost the exact same Theory as starvation as it destroys the body's ability to develop and maintain explosive strength and muscle mass

Never in the history of Combat Sports has there been two contestants fighting against one another using a steady state cardio rhythm

Every single incident of combat (or Combat Sports) in world history has been a hiit situation never a steady-state

Archaic training beliefs persist throughout Combat Sports more so than most athletics

Often times people dive too far into the intent science and forget about the most basic Logistics

This is most common with people relatively new to the game having not gained the years of experience required to realize the Simplicity of the situation

The fact is we treat martial arts as a for-profit industry in the United States in this precipitates a lot of salesmanship designed at trying to one-up the competition with your proprietary recipe for success

I remember having discussions with old coaches that laughed at the acceptance of all the secrets they concocted about their training regimens knowing good and well that the simple message of hard work dedication and sacrifice concentrating on the sport you plan to compete in just doesn't sell a lot of books

LOL

Some people are reeling from buyer's remorse

The average american is obese and has a lifetime of avoiding medical attention due to the cost.

A lot of the information on the internet for getting in shape recommends exercises that are damaging to your joints and carries a high risk of injury if the person following that advice is 40-50 pounds overweight and lacks *any* technique or workout experience.

You know how many people wake up one day and think "I should get in shape", start running and break their fucking ankle because they have no clue what they are doing and the last time they did any serious exercise was gym class 15 years ago?

If you are on a forum asking if running 100 miles could possible be detrimental to your health, you might just want to have a chat with someone who can take a look at you before recommending where to begin.
That's actually a really good point

the most successful coaches on the planet understand that heavy weights and especially super heavy weights are radically different athletes and they often times do not benefit from traditional coaching methods

By eliminating running from my wrestling program my heavy weights performance skyrocketed because they were no longer exhausted and beat up from running the same distance as the 115 who would naturally Trot out 30 minutes of running without breaking a sweat while the heavyweights limped into the wrestling room broken down and exhausted

What's even more ridiculous is that no one expects the 115 to lift what the heavies do

Applying a generic steady state cardio program to a wrestling room is one of the dumbest things a coach can do and thats likely the reason that I was so successful in my coaching career

With a scientific education and an international background I had the good sense to realize that having your wrestlers run for 30 minutes plus parasitized their critical Mat time and I'm terribly entertained to see all the modern science starting to recognize something I knew several decades ago

Steady state cardio is actually detrimental to combat athletes

Especially heavyweight and super heavyweight combat athletes, that's one of the primary reasons that a heavyweight coach is by far the best at training heavyweight athletes

@TerryMCLOOPS
@KnightTemplar
@wutabufa
For some reason these individuals have been empowered by internet anonymity to flex online chiming into a thread in order to squeal dramatic accusations

While this is endlessly entertaining to me I am more interested in discussing the interesting fallacies that continue to persist throughout Combat Sports history especially that steady state cardio has a place in a Fighters training regimen

People that have paid money to learn fallacies are naturally very defensive when someone with a long-standing record of hard work dedication and sacrifice shows up and explains the simple Logistics of their false belief

The simple fact is steady state cardio destroys fast twitch muscle fibers and replaces them with slow twitch muscle fibers while going through a host of physiological changes designed to make the human body more capable of propelling itself forward utilizing the minimum amount of energy possible

It is almost the exact same Theory as starvation as it destroys the body's ability to develop and maintain explosive strength and muscle mass

Never in the history of Combat Sports has there been two contestants fighting against one another using a steady state cardio rhythm

Every single incident of combat (or Combat Sports) in world history has been a hiit situation never a steady-state

Archaic training beliefs persist throughout Combat Sports more so than most athletics

Often times people dive too far into the intent science and forget about the most basic Logistics

This is most common with people relatively new to the game having not gained the years of experience required to realize the Simplicity of the situation

The fact is we treat martial arts as a for-profit industry in the United States in this precipitates a lot of salesmanship designed at trying to one-up the competition with your proprietary recipe for success

I remember having discussions with old coaches that laughed at the acceptance of all the secrets they concocted about their training regimens knowing good and well that the simple message of hard work dedication and sacrifice concentrating on the sport you plan to compete in just doesn't sell a lot of books

LOL

<{cruzshake}>

Dude, just stop. You tried to peddle the same bullshit the first time around, and got your fat ass handed to you.

The vast majority of world champions in every combat sport have included some form of LISS in their strength and conditioning training. It's still used by professional fighters today.

Karlin was undefeated for 13 years, went to four Olympics, won three Golds and a Silver. Widely regarded by his peers as the greatest Greco-Roman Wrestler who ever lived. Ran at least 5K on most training days.

Muhammed Ali. The man should need no introduction. Stamina for days. Fought and won 15 round bouts at the highest level. Did road work before every fight, although he admitted to hating it,

"I told myself; suffer now and live the rest of your life as a Champion".

Fedor, the Last Emperor. A man who's strength and conditioning regime was basically long runs and bodyweight exercises, with maybe some Kettlebells thrown in. Never gassed in any fight during his prime, and could rag-doll bigger opponents with ease.

These men and others like them are the GOAT's. They set the Gold Standard for their respective combat sports. You are a high school wrestling coach. You are not a special little snowflake. You do not have greater knowledge than men like Karlin, Ali or Fedor.

Stop embarrassing yourself.

<{cruzshake}>

Dude, just stop. You tried to peddle the same bullshit the first time around, and got your fat ass handed to you.

The vast majority of world champions in every combat sport have included some form of LISS in their strength and conditioning training. It's still used by professional fighters today.

Karlin was undefeated for 13 years, went to four Olympics, won three Golds and a Silver. Widely regarded by his peers as the greatest Greco-Roman Wrestler who ever lived. Ran at least 5K on most training days.

Muhammed Ali. The man should need no introduction. Stamina for days. Fought and won 15 round bouts at the highest level. Did road work before every fight, although he admitted to hating it,

"I told myself; suffer now and live the rest of your life as a Champion".

Fedor, the Last Emperor. A man who's strength and conditioning regime was basically long runs and bodyweight exercises, with maybe some Kettlebells thrown in. Never gassed in any fight during his prime, and could rag-doll bigger opponents with ease.

These men and others like them are the GOAT's. They set the Gold Standard for their respective combat sports. You are a high school wrestling coach. You are not a special little snowflake. You do not have greater knowledge than men like Karlin, Ali or Fedor.

Stop embarrassing yourself.
Just because all your Heroes did it doesn't mean it's the best way to train

You and no one you know has ever "handed me kicked my or beat my anything

a bunch of squealing little Fellas on the internet that don't have the guts to man up will eternally entertain me

I wake up at night giggling sometimes thinking about all the flexing guys do from the safety of Internet anonymity

As a veteran wrestling coach guys like you are wonderful fodder... athletes look up to their coaches not only for simple physical logistic advice but for so much more

The cowardness that is displayed online when someone breaks bad behind their computer is a wonderful example of the bully mentality

It's actually very interesting science that was first noticed as people acted differently waiting in a line within the safe confines of their car versus standing where someone could turn around and face them without the safety that their car provided

Try to take a deep breath and think about how you look when you flex online behind a fake Internet Avatar and take some advice from a guy who actually stepped on the mat and did something about it

Just because all your Heroes did it doesn't mean it's the best way to train

You and no one you know has ever "handed me kicked my or beat my anything

a bunch of squealing little Fellas on the internet that don't have the guts to man up will eternally entertain me

I wake up at night giggling sometimes thinking about all the flexing guys do from the safety of Internet anonymity

As a veteran wrestling coach guys like you are wonderful fodder... athletes look up to their coaches not only for simple physical logistic advice but for so much more

The cowardness that is displayed online when someone breaks bad behind their computer is a wonderful example of the bully mentality

It's actually very interesting science that was first noticed as people acted differently waiting in a line within the safe confines of their car versus standing where someone could turn around and face them without the safety that their car provided

Try to take a deep breath and think about how you look when you flex online behind a fake Internet Avatar and take some advice from a guy who actually stepped on the mat and did something about it

Running, Road Work, LISS, call it what you want, has been a staple of every great champion in Boxing, Wrestling, Muay Thai etc, pretty much for as long as these sports have existed. Saying fighters shouldn't run is demonstrably wrong. It's not a case of hero worship. It's a case of learning from the experience of the greatest fighters in history.

But I tell you what: prove that you or anyone you trained has accomplished more in the field of combat sports than Karlin, Ali or Fedor, and I will concede the argument to you.

Take your time, I'll wait:)

Running, Road Work, LISS, call it what you want, has been a staple of every great champion in Boxing, Wrestling, Muay Thai etc, pretty much for as long as these sports have existed. Saying fighters shouldn't run is demonstrably wrong. It's not a case of hero worship. It's a case of learning from the experience of the greatest fighters in history.

But I tell you what: prove that you or anyone you trained has accomplished more in the field of combat sports than Karlin, Ali or Fedor, and I will concede the argument to you.

Take your time, I'll wait:)
You go jogging, I'll go to the MMA gym

when we meet on the mat I'll choke you out

I'll roll you over, wake you up and then you'll have plenty of cardio to go jogging again

LOL

Jogging is for people too cowardly to get in the ring

Your Heroes don't always tell the truth about their actual training regimens in fact they keep it secret and laugh their ass off when people like you buy the stories they sell

You're suffering from buyer's remorse

There's all kinds of hilarious fake fallacies infesting martial arts

Frankly I find it endlessly entertaining what you people will believe

I'll roll you over, wake you up and then you'll have plenty of cardio to go jogging again

LOL

Your Heroes don't always tell the truth about their actual training regimens in fact they keep it secret and laugh their ass off when people like you buy the stories they sell

<YeahOKJen>

LOL

Cute stories about high school bro! Man sounds hard! Must take some balls to walk onto those mats! Jeez you might lose in front of your parents at a match!!

Speaking of cowards, how about guys who are so fat their country says "we don't want you" for military service?

Knowing some people are drafted by the military and have to be dragged off to serve kicking and screaming, and you weren't good enough/wanted even though you volunteered mustve been quite damaging to your ego. Jeez, if that happened to me, who knows were I'd be. I might spend my whole life drinking, getting fat and trying to achieve self respect in all sorts of socially inept ways.

Your life ends where mine begins. Sleep tight.

Last edited:
You know what they say. You gotta get to the fight first. If the fight is a kids game at your school and you get there in a fucking minivan, sure, be obese as fuck lol

Cute stories about high school bro! Man sounds hard! Must take some balls to walk onto those mats! Jeez you might lose in front of your parents at a match!!

Speaking of cowards, how about guys who are so fat their country says "we don't want you" for military service?

Knowing some people are drafted by the military and have to be dragged off to serve kicking and screaming, and you weren't good enough/wanted even though you volunteered mustve been quite damaging to your ego. Jeez, if that happened to me, who knows were I'd be. I might spend my whole life drinking, getting fat and trying to achieve self respect in all sorts of socially inept ways.

Your life ends where mine begins. Sleep tight.

Since this is a @-guerilla- thread now, can a mod rename it "Impact of Chronic Obesity on Mental health" or something

Hey @-guerilla- / @PRYMAYTE I still run distance everyday and Im still a 200 pound lean mean killing machine whats up with that?

You know what they say. You gotta get to the fight first. If the fight is a kids game at your school and you get there in a fucking minivan, sure, be obese as fuck lol
They "run for cardio"

@TerryMCLOOPS
@KnightTemplar
@wutabufa

LOL

They "run for cardio"

You have an undiagnosed brain injury or degenerative neurological condition. Seek medical attention.

You have an undiagnosed brain injury or degenerative neurological condition. Seek medical attention.
You guys are a bunch of mincey drama queens sniffing around an internet Forum trying to drum up drama because somebody schooled you online and your tender tush still aches

Why don't you calm down and try to focus on the central message of the thread instead of trying to start a personal flame War?

Last edited:
While type II fibers can become more slow-oxidative through endurance training, you’re never(IMO) going to be able to train a type II fiber, particularly a type II B fiber, into becoming a type I fiber. The best you’re going to do is take a type II fiber that can contract maximally, but for short duration, and train it to contract sub-maximally(but still powerfully), but with the ability to sustain the effort.

In other words, through endurance training, an athlete maximize the ratio of fibers they possess that can both produce great force(though not maximal), and have good stamina. Gee...those fiber types seem like they could possibly benefit combat sport athlrtes(again, IMO). But I suppose I’m way off base.

tenor.gif

You guys are a bunch of mincey drama queens sniffing around an internet Forum trying to drum up drama because somebody schooled you online and your tender tush still aches

Why don't you calm down and try to focus on the central message of the thread instead of trying to start a personal flame War?

The only person getting schooled here is you. And it's a school for kids who ride the short bus:rolleyes: And the central message is inherently flawed.

Once again: how many Olympic Medals have you, or your students, won? How many Boxing World Titles? If the answer is, "none", and we both know it is, then why should we take your word over the generations of Olympic and World champions who made LISS running a central part of their GPP?

Back