Is running a small cafe or restaurant as "scary" as Kitchen Nightmares?

It is a hell of a lot of work, so if you are afraid of working long hard hours it is probably pretty scary.

exactly

its like suddenly having a bunch of babies. there is never time off because the business always needs things. even when you leave work, work problems are just building up for when you get back

I don't know about how scary it is, but my buddy owns a restaurant and I can tell you that he is there every single day sometimes in excess of 12 hrs. It's a lot of work.

Reality is seldom as scary as contrived drama.

You mean junkie. Good book and all but that's like not being a punk and watching SLC punk and thinking that's the life.

For a little more grown up perspective, you can read his follow up, "medium raw".

Gabrielle Hamilton wrote a pretty good book on The Life as well.

I'll tell you now TS, I've got 10 years in the industry as a barista, waiter, FOH manager, dish washer, prep cook, garde manager, line cook, pastry chef, and baker. Owning a cafe is a TON of work and a huge headache. Without luck, moxy, a work ethic of a Greek god and tons of experience in the industry, you won't make it a year.

Yes. Read Anthony bourdain's first book, "kitchen confidential" he covers this very subject with the perspective and experience of a 30 year restaurant worker and chef.

You do know that he must fluff up a lot of what is really just boring stuff to sell books. I would not take that book as a reliable. Plus back when he was working, Manhattan RE was not that expensive, and had not gentrified yet. It is a lot more scary to run a food service type business in Manhattan now simply because of the fixed costs, the clientele you have to deal with.

If you're looking for a business, where as a owner, you don't have to put in a lot of work, then the restaurant biz is definitely not for you.

Also, you should be passionate about food, not just thinking it's a good way to make a profit.

This is not entirely true. You can escape the grind. Look at Pizza Hut, McDonalds, Wendy's, Subway. They all started out like every other restaurant.

I worked for an owner who was in the business solely for money. He wouldn't know a good chef or a good meal to save his Fn life. Most of his time was spent on how to save a dime. Frozen everything, no love put into anything and at the end of the day he was the least intelligent restaurant owner I ever worked for.

You don't get into the restaurant business because u wanna make a quick buck, you get into it cause u love serving guests and have a passion for serving a quality product and a passion for food.

Even burgers and wraps can be made with love. It's not the type of good it's the thought and execution that is put into it.

FYI at one point he took out the paper towels from the men's room and replaced it with a hand blower that was outta of the early 80's. It was the biggest complaint we got from the guests. Needless to say he kept the hand drier.

Back