Is running a love/hate relationship

rEdShawks

Brown Belt
Reaction score
i have a love/hate relationship with running, been running 5 days a week for almost 3 months, i was wondering does eevryone have a love-hate relationship, or do some love every bit, including the pain you get as you end your 10 mile run with a FAST sprint, ect ect.

Mostly just a 'hate' relationship.

I don't run very often because of it!

and dammit, that's why I got a 9:00 time on the 100 burpee challenge.

I loathe LSD. I just don't have the mental fortitude for it. I'll be gassed within a mile because I'm incapable of pacing myself, and then because I get distracted easily I'll end up stopping at a wendys or mcdonalds, get a shake, and then walk back to my apartment. It's happened 4 times this year already.

I like sprints more. Prefer hill sprints and 400s, but I'm working on my 100 and 50m. They're just more fun to do than LSD and a lot quicker.

I loathe LSD. I just don't have the mental fortitude for it. I'll be gassed within a mile because I'm incapable of pacing myself, and then because I get distracted easily I'll end up stopping at a wendys or mcdonalds, get a shake, and then walk back to my apartment. It's happened 4 times this year already.

I like sprints more. Prefer hill sprints and 400s, but I'm working on my 100 and 50m. They're just more fun to do than LSD and a lot quicker.

Mp3 player, trail running, rain and a audio book

Enjoy

Mainly hate, i do enjoy a nice run some days but usually it's something i am happy to avoid.

No, your enjoyment of it is proportional to your ability at it IMO. I've really been focusing on my sprints and middle distance times these past couple of months and have come to fucking love even the brutally challenging runs. No bullshit or mental trickery, I just started loving it.

It's no different than lifting IMO - at first it's hard and feels like a chore, but as soon as you look at your log and see how quickly you're improving, the payoff is immense. Set yourself some definite goals, start keeping close track of your performance and have every run mean something in a greater context of training, and you'll start having fun.

Audiobooks are my savior. I still hate running but I can force myself to do it.

No, your enjoyment of it is proportional to your ability at it IMO. I've really been focusing on my sprints and middle distance times these past couple of months and have come to fucking love even the brutally challenging runs. No bullshit or mental trickery, I just started loving it.

It's no different than lifting IMO - at first it's hard and feels like a chore, but as soon as you look at your log and see how quickly you're improving, the payoff is immense. Set yourself some definite goals, start keeping close track of your performance and have every run mean something in a greater context of training, and you'll start having fun.

agreed

Those first few weeks are a bitch, but then you begin to really get your head into it and it becomes fun.

Trail runs are something I never thought I would enjoy, but after a few and practise normal runs I started to understand what people were going on about.

Revok, middle distance (3-6 milers) FTMFW

I have a workout schedule that is packed pretty tight that some would consider overkill. I basically just listen to my body and sometimes skip one or two of the workouts a week. It always seems to be running that I skip. I think part of the reason is that I have to drive to a trail to run. I live off a highway so running straight from home isn't happening. Everything else I do I get done at home.
I also took the winter off of running since it gets cold here. I really was happy to get back at it. However, I'd much rather lift weights, hit the heavy bag, do burpees, etc. It's not because running kills me (burpees do that), but I think it's just not very enjoyable to me.

agreed
Revok, middle distance (3-6 milers) FTMFW

Word to your mater.

There's something about running as fast as you can for 20 minutes straight that no other form of cardio even comes close to. Burpees, bag work, jumping rope, rolling, even sprints - doing all those you can stop for a few seconds when you think you need to recover. But when you're going for, say, a new 3 mile PR, there's no stopping, no matter how bad the pain. You have to learn how to recover without stopping, and that's a challenge unique to running.

Word to your mater.

There's something about running as fast as you can for 20 minutes straight that no other form of cardio even comes close to. Burpees, bag work, jumping rope, rolling, even sprints - doing all those you can stop for a few seconds when you think you need to recover. But when you're going for, say, a new 3 mile PR, there's no stopping, no matter how bad the pain. You have to learn how to recover without stopping, and that's a challenge unique to running.

mater?

Agreed

The worst kind of runs (and therefore most fun) are those short sub 20 min runs.

They are what I started off with and I always end up going back to them. Nothing can come close when you know how far you have to go and you basically have to force your breathing because you'll be damned if you'll stop but you seem to be rapidly running out of air.

Oh and the fire in the legs. Can't forget that

I love it when people say they don't run because they don't like it.

To me, if I'm doing a conditioning exercise and I'm miserable, that's how I know it's working.

800m intervals is the furthest i've run in a long time. If you total up the volum like people do with lifting then i still cover 2 miles + sprints at the end!

I love it when people say they don't run because they don't like it.

To me, if I'm doing a conditioning exercise and I'm miserable, that's how I know it's working.

I find that argument funny, as well. People say the same thing about anything fitness related: "Oh, I get bored lifting weights" or "I don't like running"....well, hell. Nobody said it was fun (though it is...it's an acquired taste) - if it were fun, everybody's be doing it.

I enjoy running long distances by myself outside in the sun, I feel like I get a lot out of it. It also helps that afterwards, I'm a completely different (happier) person.

It's not the running I hate, it's the stopping. When I go for some LSD I hit a point where I know that if I stop, I'll ache/ cry. So I just keep going. When I have to stop no matter what, either I've hit my goal time/distance or I'm about to die, the feeling after I've collapsed is like nothing else.

I enjoy running long distances by myself outside in the sun, I feel like I get a lot out of it. It also helps that afterwards, I'm a completely different (happier) person.

I hate running in the sun/good weather

bring on the cold rain and sleet (especially snow)

I ran new years day at 6 am a few years ago and it started snowing

No one about, light starting to break through

Bliss

Back