Is Rousey a female Palhares?

I like to think that Palhares is a male Rousey

Lets give WMMA in the UFC some time to grow before shitting all over it.
Ever hear the saying "Rome wasn't built in one day"?
New things have humble beginnings. Otherwise lets get Royce Gracie out of the HOF for losing to Matt Hughes. And while we're at it lets stop trying to find a cure for cancer since the initial attempts have failed................right?

Yeah, it's ironic that she's seen as elevating WMMA when it's more like she's exposed it. She's shown that there almost no women fighters with decent sub defense.

Cyborg has decent sub defense IMO -- assuming you want to include her in the discussion. [*trying hard not to fighter bash*]

I feel like she may be a one trick pony as well, however, there aren't really many female fighters that can legitimately KO anybody in their way, Cyborg aside. I think this makes her "safe" to a certain extent.

With that said, her stand-up isn't outright horrible, either.

Standup isn't great though. Tate should have exposed that but I think the trash talk caused her to go to the ground. Gina could sprawl and brawl her to a R1 KO and so could Cyborg.

Funny, when a bjj guy has good takedowns, he isn't consider a one trick pony, he is a "bjj guy with good wrestling".

Rousey could ground and pound the shit of their opponents since he always get mount, could choke them too, hell, she could even rip some knees given she trains under Gokor.

She is not a striker, but her grappling is complete as it could be possibly be.

I should clarify, I don't mean one trick pony in the sense that armbars are her only arsenal. I mean that in the grappling sense.

cyborg is going to do the same thing that lombard did to harris.

I like to think that Palhares is a male Rousey

Ronda wins more often. But I think Alan Belcher could take her.

Ronda has benefited from the weakness of womens MMA I agree BUT I would say much less so than Cyborg.

Granted I don't think we've seen a grappler as good as Ronda in womens MMA before but thats because she's really near the top of the food chain there showing a skill level similar to best male grapplers.

The big glaring weaknesses in womens MMA for me is striking ability, no women I'v seen is anywhere close to the technical ability we see at the top of the mens game and many display weaknesses no man could ever afford to show if he wanted to fight on a big show.

Cyborg's sucess was more "in the kingdom of the blind the one eyed women is king" to me, honiestly I don't think her striking is anywhere close to the highest level in male MMA, indeed I'd say its below the vast majority of it.

Beyond looks I think thats why Ronda is so much more marketable, yes she's benefiting from the weaknesses in female MMA but unlike Cyborg she's also showing elite skill. A female Rickson is much more fun to watch than a female version of a toughman contest.

She has the Judo credentials to take anyone down which is essential to her armlock game. For Palhares, he has good takedowns, but sometimes he can't get it and when you dive for a technique like leg locks, there are great risks.

Yeah, it's ironic that she's seen as elevating WMMA when it's more like she's exposed it. She's shown that there almost no women fighters with decent sub defense.

So Anderson exposed male MMA since there are almost no male fighters with decent striking defense?

Back