Is Rouisimar Palhares the biggest

Every time he's fought somebody elite, he's been beaten pretty handily. His 'infractions' have almost made his career.

I think one of the reasons he's a draw is because he's kind of crazy. Otherwise he'd just be thought of as a mid-level dude that lands some pretty slick leg locks.

He was the first human to submit Fitch since his first couple pro fights. Also the first to submit Shields those are some of the best grapplers in mma history. He would be fringe top 10 in the ufc and brings insane intensity either getting stopped with strikes or winning with an incredible joint lock.

You got some point on BJ, he could've been more, but on another look aren't we being to exigent? The guy was a 2 divisional champ

I agree with him, it's weird beating Hughes for the WW belt was an incredible achievement but it lead to watching his sad WW beatdowns. I think if he stayed at LW his whole career he would have been on the winning side of even more awesome fights. I guess going up to fight bigger people is part of what makes him a legend though.

Every time he's fought somebody elite, he's been beaten pretty handily. His 'infractions' have almost made his career.

I think one of the reasons he's a draw is because he's kind of crazy. Otherwise he'd just be thought of as a mid-level dude that lands some pretty slick leg locks.

Beating Sheilds on the ground was very impressive though. Shame it got completely overshadowed by the fouls.

Beating Sheilds on the ground was very impressive though. Shame it got completely overshadowed by the fouls.

Seriously. "Palhares subs Shields" shoulda been a mind-blowing brainfuck headline, but it's totally deflated by "multiple eye pokes, held sub after tap again, and got punched after the bell."

Not the biggest, but he's up there. Kerr was probably the biggest waste of talent I can remember off the top of my head. A genuine monster more powerful than the sport had ever seen and talented to boot, and he lost it all to pain killers.

Seriously. "Palhares subs Shields" shoulda been a mind-blowing brainfuck headline, but it's totally deflated by "multiple eye pokes, held sub after tap again, and got punched after the bell."

He was losing, then cheated and won.

Not the biggest, but he's up there. Kerr was probably the biggest waste of talent I can remember off the top of my head. A genuine monster more powerful than the sport had ever seen and talented to boot, and he lost it all to pain killers.

He was very talented, excellent merging of high level wrestling and submission skills, but there may not have ever been a bigger roider than him in this sport...and that's saying something. He was an absolute fucking cartoon.

Kerr_Huge.jpg
7x7wbbhYcWM.jpg

He won because he's the superior submission fighter. Landing a kimura from the guard like that and rolling someone has nothing to do with eye pokes.

Jake didn't seem rattled at all.

What a stupid comment.

Jake didn't seem rattled at all.

What a stupid comment.

Palhares' one run in ADCC includes more top wins in submission grappling/BJJ than Jake Shields has had in his entire career.

Palhares' BJJ > Shields

Palhares' one run in ADCC includes more top wins in submission grappling/BJJ than Jake Shields has had in his entire career.

Palhares' BJJ > Shields

Oh, you're just some Paul Harris fan boi lashing out with posts, hoping something will stick.

Don't care. Paul Harris > Shields > GSP > Fedor > Ali > PositiveBalance.

He was very talented, excellent merging of high level wrestling and submission skills, but there may not have ever been a bigger roider than him in this sport...and that's saying something. He was an absolute fucking cartoon.

Kerr_Huge.jpg
7x7wbbhYcWM.jpg

I agree but since he fought in an Era where PED'S where basically legal (and sometimes were) I don't put an asterisk by his name.

Like him or not, you gotta respect his grappling skill. The guy is an absolute MONSTER on the mat. I learn all kinds of things from watching him fight. He's dirty as hell, but i'll watch him fight whenever he's fighting.

The issue with Palhares is probably malnutrition when infant, he was very poor, I've seen people with a very poor background here in Brazil and they simply can't understand something no matter what

This right here. People want to just believe he's an a-hole but the truth is he is a product of his environment. If it was just mean-spiritedness then you'd think he'd cut it out after getting in so much trouble for it.

Kerr_Huge.jpg
7x7wbbhYcWM.jpg

No question, but before he was roided up that way he was #11 in the world wrestling freestyle at 220. He gave Kurt Angle one hell of a match even in losing, and if you watch that match he looked like a monster even at 220 (probably walking around at 230 - 240). If anything I'd think that additional mass mostly hindered his talent and movement, and probably made him more reliant on brute force.

The Angle match for reference:
http://www.flowrestling.org/coverag...k-Kerr-1995-World-Team-Trials-Philadelphia-PA

I think all the roids, and the pain killers were just physical manifestations of mental weakness. It's sad, because he had crazy potential.

Back