Is Rory MacDonald shot from his wars in the UFC?

It's not so much that he started young. Mousasi started in his teens and is still as good as ever. Oliveira, Masvidal and Lawler started as teens and peaked in their 30s. Many different examples.

With Rory it was probably just losing the drive to do it. He even said he found god and wasn't sure about continuing fighting. He's no where near as aggressive as he used to be. Just goes through the motions now. The Lawler beating didn't help things either.
Moose had his first pro MMA fight at 20. Robbie had his pro fight at 19. Olivera's debut was at 19. For these guys there was a progression from grappling to striking. They had time to learn their craft and not thrown into learning everything. Rory trained mma exclusively at 14 and had his Pro fight at 16.

Man Rory was cocky as hell on his way up to the title shot. People were calling him the next GSP after all. The dude toyed with Diaz and was pretty smug when he beat BJ penn. He toyed with Woodley too.

Anyway I think those two fights with Lawler really did wear him out. He went from being the Hunter to being on the receiving end. I guess it wasn't fun for him. He looked so defeated in the second fight with Lawler

It's not possible to go through a fight like the war with Lalwer and come through still in your prime

Dont @ me

The fights with Robbie were war, on both of them. Savages

Moose had his first pro MMA fight at 20. Robbie had his pro fight at 19. Olivera's debut was at 19. For these guys there was a progression from grappling to striking. They had time to learn their craft and not thrown into learning everything. Rory trained mma exclusively at 14 and had his Pro fight at 16.

I would argue Robbie started to drop off not long after the rematch with Rory when he would have been what 34? plus I would argue the middle of his career wasnt that high intensity, he was figthing fairly big names but was often going down quite easily without that much punishment. I think you could put someone like Vitor's career partly down to that as well, a long spell in the middle were he wasnt really going to war.

Mousasi has lasted well and still looks in good form but he did have quite a long spell at the start of his career mostly fighting low/mid level comp, I would say took a good 5 years for him to really be fighting at an elite level in the Dream MW GP.

Oliveria is still only 31 years old, I wouldnt be shocked if he's getting close to the end of his prime.

Plus of course Rory does tend to take quite a lot of punishment which probably doesnt help with longevity.

Last edited:
Just another guy with probably nothing to look forward to and no identity without fighting hence getting battered over and over again until family and friends force him to retire after piling up the CTE.

Its all about mileage and not age. By that Rory is quite old and the only way to counter that at a certain point is TRT VItor but Rory is imo one of the very few fighters who doesnt take PEDs.

Its no surprise his Nemessis Robbie had his career comeback when he went to ATT one of the most ped ridden gym in the US and looked like a comic book hero. At this point as immoral as it is Rory would need to take PEds

His fights against an obviously roided to the gills Lawler destroyed him.

I mean, people get all excited about young guys entering the sport. But I think fighting higher than the regional level before you're like, at least 24 and your brain is finished developing is a mistake. It's going to happen to that other super young guy that's signed to the UFC too, just watch.

Rory is also a pretty mediocre athlete by elite standards, so that capped his talents. He's really an overachiever.
The UFC HAD to have given him some extra money under the table after that fight. It was FOTY and people still talk about it 6 years later.
Maybe he got a bit of extra money, but it was a heavily stacked card with McGregor on top. That means less available money for discretionary bonuses. Also, the UFC has done plenty of shitty and cheap things, let's not kid ourselves.

I can't believe he lost last night. Watched the fight and turned it off before the decision as I was tired and positive Rory 30-27'ed Tibau on all the score cards. Just now read in this thread he lost a SD. Unfugginbelievable. That's a robbery in the 1st degree.

He did enough to be remembered forever as far as in concerned.

WAR Rory!

Dude is 31 and should be in the prime of his life but can’t get past Gleason Tibau. I know it was a robbery but still, he should be dominating an old dog like Tibau without controversy.

It’s kinda sad how the game and chew you up and spit you out and you’re still not financially stable.

He’s had years taken off his life from that 2nd Lawler fight for 59k. Makes you think right?

it almost like combat sports cant do that to everyone.

He's got a lot of training and fighting mileage on him. I also think he wasted his time at tristar. He's looked improve since moving to samford, he definitely won that' fight last night but still has almost a flippant approach to his fightsll.

Rory has gone 4-4-1 since the Lawler fight, he was 18-2 before he fought Robbie. Simple metrics confirms that he hasn’t been the same fighter, especially considering that in his lead up to the Lawler fight he was facing and beating guys like Maia, Woodley, Diaz, and Prime Ellenberger. His competition was still on par with who he been fighting lately, he just seemingly shows up for a conservative sparring session, as before he was willing to do whatever it took to win. In the grand scheme of things he’s looking after his own health, so I don’t blame him, I honestly just don’t think his heart is in it anymore.

Back