Is Rockhold the only non-distant threat to Weidman?

MMAProfessional

Golden Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I personally think that Weidman will be champ for a long time, but if he beats Rockhold is there anyone in the division that stylistically has a chance? Weidman has better striking then Jacare and Romero, both of which I don't think could take Weidman down or have the cardio to do it for enough rounds to win. Rockhold's striking is pretty solid and he also has a good ground game. Jacare has okay striking and amazing BJJ if he can get it there (probably can't) and Romero has powerful striking but is pretty damn sloppy so get's taken down (leaving him open to counters and if Chris is in trouble could wait for the takedown).

I think Romero is the most dangerous. You need forgei Jesus to beat him.

Jacare doesn't need to take Chris down, if they're ever on the ground at all, Jacare can find a sub.

Romero and Jacare are both legit threats to The Chris.

Rockhold has a good overall skillset, plus he's long.

Jacare's BJJ could give Weidman problems

Romeros wrestling and insane athleticism could possibly give Weidman problems.

After that, the whole divisions pretty much cleaned.

No? Rockhold is good, but you are overrating him a bit. I think Romero has the best chance against Weidman. Fast, athletic, unpredictable, good wrestler, very good striker, and one of the hardest hitters at MW. Jacare has good shot as well.

If he can get through Rockhold, Jacare and Romero I think that would be the greatest championship run ever.

Jacare doesn't need to take Chris down, if they're ever on the ground at all, Jacare can find a sub.

I think Chris can hold his own on the ground. He was just a purple belt and fairly green when he took Galvao to the distance at ADCC 2009. I'm sure he has improved a lot over the years.

I think Chris can hold his own on the ground. He was just a purple belt and fairly green when he took Galvao to the distance at ADCC 2009. I'm sure he has improved a lot over the years.

Definitely possible, but still a dangerous game to play.

FluidLegitimateCony.gif

Ronaldo%20Jacare%20Souza%20Submits%20Gegard%20Mousasi%20via%20Guillotine%20Choke%20UFC%20Fight%20Night%2050.gif

Romero and Jacare would both be very tough fights for Chris. I think if he shuts down Rockhold though it will make me a little bit more confident that he can beat those two guys though.

Romero and Jacare would both be very tough fights for Chris. I think if he shuts down Rockhold though it will make me a little bit more confident that he can beat those two guys though.

Same here. Romero isn't crafty with mixing up his striking and takedowns which is why Larson but him in deep waters before getting finished. Weidman is like Larson 10000000.0. Jacare has beaten people who either a)couldn't beat him standing or b)couldn't stop the takedown. But of which I think Weidman could do.

Same here. Romero isn't crafty with mixing up his striking and takedowns which is why Larson but him in deep waters before getting finished. Weidman is like Larson 10000000.0. Jacare has beaten people who either a)couldn't beat him standing or b)couldn't stop the takedown. But of which I think Weidman could do.

What? You've never watched Romero fight, dude. And who the fuck is Larson?

I personally think that Weidman will be champ for a long time, but if he beats Rockhold is there anyone in the division that stylistically has a chance? Weidman has better striking then Jacare and Romero, both of which I don't think could take Weidman down or have the cardio to do it for enough rounds to win. Rockhold's striking is pretty solid and he also has a good ground game. Jacare has okay striking and amazing BJJ if he can get it there (probably can't) and Romero has powerful striking but is pretty damn sloppy so get's taken down (leaving him open to counters and if Chris is in trouble could wait for the takedown).

I think Jacare, Rockhold, and Romero are all pretty dangerous threats to be honest for different reasons. If he gets passed that trio I see Gegard Mousasi taking that crown in a year or two.

What? You've never watched Romero fight, dude. And who the fuck is Larson?

Lol I meant Brunson. I've been drinking and took a risk. But yeah that fight proved he doesn't do well against a wrestler that can mix it up. Brunson could have won that fight if he didn't get knocked out and from what I've seen (and the fact that Yoel is only getting older) Yoel hasn't improved all that much. Weidman is a MUCH better version then Brunson and is getting better. Tavarez-well rounded, great at nothing. Kennedy- decent striker, STRONG wrestler. Machida-Excellent counter striker. Weidman-Great MIXED MARTIAL ARTIST. I'll watch you disappear if Romero even gets to face Chris.

Jacare has better striking than people realize and would be a very long night for him. I worry that Romero might not hold up. He is incredibly dangerous though.

Back