Is rock music these days all electronic?

Sounds like it. All these groups still have the makings of an actual band but it sounds like they can do with just the guitar player(if that) and the vocalist.

It’s lazy music but I blame the consumer for being lame.

Real musicians and entertainers get the last laugh though. Those laptop Mozart’s can’t hack it live In most cases and that’s where the bones are made if you’re in the rock n roll business. Even if people listen to zombie music because it’s like the current year want the oomph that only a real LIVE performance can provide. That’s why the biggest concerts are with bands that aren’t really top of the pops anymore but offer an experience that you can’t get on YouTube or Spotify. Nobody was pounding on Imagine Dragons door to headline Aftershock this year..they went with trusty old System of a Down and Deftones..50K people will be there. They’ll play instruments.

Stop listening to the radio for rock music.

QotSA, Shame, the Sword (metal?), Red Fang, Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats, Ghost, new Mastodon (still prefer older but new stuff is accessible), Royal Thunder, are decent bands to check out.

Jesus, I actually started listening to radio again a few weeks ago and realized that the current state of rock/alternative is pretty bad. Do these bands even play instruments anymore? Sounds like this music could double up for play on the local hip hop/R&B station as well.

On our local rock/alternative station you can tell when a song is from the 90s or early 2000s because the band actually plays instruments... then we get this cvrches, Sir Sly, 21 pilots shit that is all synth.

Maybe I'm just getting old.
Come on, boss. Why do you listen to the radio if you want to hear rock music?

Come on, boss. Why do you listen to the radio if you want to hear rock music?
This station actually plays good, older music too.. you know the good shit from the 90s and early 2000s that my old self grew up with in high school and just after.

Of Monsters And Men is the best "real band" right now, bunch of solid musicians, great songwriting, fresh concepts, and a gorgeous brunette lead singer

So I was listening to a local pop station on my road trip and heard at least to songs that I normally hear on the alternative rock station in Chicago. Not surprised.

when i want "real" music that's new, i like Tame Impala or
Of Monsters and Men

I got u fam. @TeTe I’m a fan of a lot of newer and older rock bands, whether they be raw, hardcore, electronic, acoustic or more psychedelic. Here’s some more active raw rock bands.

Arctic monkeys
Queens of the Stone Age
The strokes
Cage the elephant
The black keys
Royal blood
Death from above 1979(use a little synth, just a drummer and bassist tho they shred)
Gary Clark Jr(badass guitarist)
Tame impala(use some synth but they’re very psychedelic)
Greta van fleet(sound just like zeppelin)
Kaleo
Arcade fire
Nothing but thieves
Florence and the machine
Of monsters and men
The lumineers
Alabama shakes

There are some solid rock bands that use a little bit of synth or electronic effects too that are worth checking out like Portugal the man, the shins, broken bells and Jagwar ma. I’ve seen almost all those bands live and they’re all badass. Some random live clips.

Last edited:
Rock was simply outsourced to other countries.

New Arctic Monkeys album dropped today FTW.

It's apparent that awesome rock comes in all age groups.

I got u fam. @TeTe I’m a fan of a lot of newer and older rock bands, whether they be raw, hardcore, electronic, acoustic or more psychedelic. Here’s some more active raw rock bands.

Arctic monkeys
Queens of the Stone Age
The strokes
Cage the elephant
The black keys
Royal blood
Death from above 1979(use a little synth, just a drummer and bassist tho they shred)
Gary Clark Jr(badass guitarist)
Tame impala(use some synth but they’re very psychedelic)
Greta van fleet(sound just like zeppelin)
Kaleo
Arcade fire
Nothing but thieves
Florence and the machine
Of monsters and men
The lumineers
Alabama shakes
A lot of those band have been around for a while though, but I agree there are good current bands now.. but it seems like in general the domination genre on even the rock stations is electronic trash.

BTW, the Stokes are my second favorite band behind Pearl Jam. QOTSA and Arctic Monkeys aren't far behind.

Cage and Black Keys are decent. I've heard a couple Of Monsters songs. Not really familiar wit the rest.

New Arctic Monkeys album dropped today FTW.
What did you think? I'm not overly impressed so far. Maybe it'll grow on me.

Not sure but I listen to the radio at work sometimes and i;ve noticed and over abundance of mumford and sons clones

mumford and sons suck ass as it is; nevermind their shitty clones.

What did you think? I'm not overly impressed so far. Maybe it'll grow on me.

It’s alright.. it’s like an album full of number 1 party anthem. Might take some time

Back