Is Reyes really an "A level" Athlete?

Willy Knuckles

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I'm not seeing the explosion, or crazy speed. His cardio seems average at best. It seems like people just throw that term out to anyone that played football, regardless of what level or to what degree of success. He played in the lower tier division of college against schools that are used for tune up games for the upper tier teams. To say moderate success at that level of college football makes you an "A level" athlete seems dumb. I think Reyes is going to get killed and people are reaching for reasons he will get the upset. I think this so called "A level" athlete gets embarrassed by a far superior fighter.
<JonesDXSuckIt>

Jon Jones doesn't have crazy speed or a ton of explosion, but it's safe to say he has pretty good genetics based on what his brothers do.

You don't need to go fast in MMA even if you can go fast.

Jon Jones doesn't have crazy speed or a ton of explosion, but it's safe to say he has pretty good genetics based on what his brothers do.

You don't need to go fast in MMA even if you can go fast.
Just dont get what makes Reyes an A level athlete in some people's eyes. Seems like an average MMA fighter lol

A Level athlete is not a real thing.

2.-William-G%C3%87%C2%A3The-RefrigeratorG%C3%87%C2%A5-Perry-G%C3%87%C3%B4-Football.png

You wouldnt get it

It's his athletic background.
But he wasn't even good at football lmao. I get this is an MMA thread/forum, but he played college football at Stony Brook University. Nothing to brag about. TBH Jon Jones winning a College Championship and being named and All American for wrestling in junior college speaks more to athletic ability than Reyes football background. Just my opinion though

Last edited:
I think he is a decent athlete but not anymore special than most in UFC.. but athleticism is only one small aspect of fighting, it can help to be a good athelte but it can only help a little bit... there is a lot of other stuff you need.. and Jones excels because he has a lot of them... 2 incredibly important things is having a very good chin and having very good fight IQ, Jones has these 2 things in abundance and it totally out performs being a A level athlete, whatever that means anyways. Fighting is complex, you need soooooooooooo many different attributes.

Takes time to tell. He looks damn good so far.

But he wasn't even good at football lmao. I get this is an MMA thread/forum, but he played college football at Stony Brook University. Nothing to brag about. TBH Jon Jones winning a College Championship and being named and All American for wrestling in junior college speaks more to athletic ability than Reyes football background. Just my opinion though
He was team captain and was named to the all-conference team twice. Clearly pretty good at football, just not NFL level.

I'm not seeing the explosion, or crazy speed. His cardio seems average at best. It seems like people just throw that term out to anyone that played football, regardless of what level or to what degree of success. He played in the lower tier division of college against schools that are used for tune up games for the upper tier teams. To say moderate success at that level of college football makes you an "A level" athlete seems dumb. I think Reyes is going to get killed and people are reaching for reasons he will get the upset. I think this so called "A level" athlete gets embarrassed by a far superior fighter.
<JonesDXSuckIt>
Your argument is valid, but I reserve my support regarding it's soundness.

Also, the safe assumption is that you are right. It would make sense that he is not an A level athlete if he quit one sport for another. Alternatively, he could have been born for this sport.

He was team captain and was named to the all-conference team twice. Clearly pretty good at football, just not NFL level.
I mean for that level sure. But there was literally thousands of better players even at his position, in college football. It's all relative. He was good enough to accomplish what he did in football, but if he's "good" then we can say that about countless football players. Loses its meaning calling him good at football out of context

A Level athlete is not a real thing.

I really wish the term had never appeared on Sherdog. It's a meme even when people are using it with a straight face as far as I'm concerned.

I think he is a decent athlete but not anymore special than most in UFC.. but athleticism is only one small aspect of fighting, it can help to be a good athelte but it can only help a little bit... there is a lot of other stuff you need.. and Jones excels because he has a lot of them... 2 incredibly important things is having a very good chin and having very good fight IQ, Jones has these 2 things in abundance and it totally out performs being a A level athlete, whatever that means anyways. Fighting is complex, you need soooooooooooo many different attributes.
You need more than just athleticism to play pro ball

I was thinking the same thing but he is definitely more athletic than Jones because he played Football and he does have thick legs and powerful left which is a huge problem for Jon because of size and conditioning mixed with power. I think Reyes is too much for Bones because he is the biggest athletic guy Jones will face. I truly believe this guy has what it takes to defeat Bones.

I was thinking the same thing but he is definitely more athletic than Jones because he played Football and he does have thick legs and powerful left which is a huge problem for Jon because of size and conditioning mixed with power. I think Reyes is too much for Bones because he is the biggest athletic guy Jones will face. I truly believe this guy has what it takes to defeat Bones.
Jon was an All american college athlete though, so he has a background in collegiate sports as well. And you gotta think the athletic ability to be good at wrestling, translates a little more to MMA than football right? I mean at least that's how I see it lol

I mean for that level sure. But there was literally thousands of better players even at his position, in college football. It's all relative. He was good enough to accomplish what he did in football, but if he's "good" then we can say that about countless football players. Loses its meaning calling him good at football out of context
Compared to every other UFC fighter (besides Greg Hardy) Reyes is good at football.

Back