Is Reebok the reason Hendricks gets the trilogy fight?

jandy90

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this for quite a while now but have come to the conclusion the only logical reason Hendricks gets the 3rd shot at Lawler is because he is a Reebok athlete. Notice that he got the title shot not long after the Reebok-UFC partnership was announced to the public. The fight will happen in the summer and the Reebok deal kicks in during the summer so this will probably be on the Independence day card. Also, on UFC Tonight, Dana said Ronda will fight in July as well which means that the top two positions on the card will be occupied by Reebok athletes.

I don't suspect Reebok has that much of a say in match-making but this was an easy one to pull off by the UFC to please their sponsors.

Personally, I think its BS that Rory doesn't get a shot but Rory vs Lombard is a cool fight as the co-main for the Montreal card so I guess its cool.

Thoughts?

Jon jones to Dana to let Hendricks get one more shot. You know how jon jones makes the rules

I don't know why they're doing the trilogy. Nobody gives a shit about this fight.

I don't think it's Reebok because by the time it rolls around they'll all be Reebok athletes.

hendricks is getting the trilogy because that was the most bullshit decision ever. worse than his decision loss to gsp.

If so, it's a great reason to continue to dislike Reebok

No.

Lawler is sponsored by Addidas, which is the parent company of Reebok.

Also, they'll only be a couple fights away from everyone being a Reebok athlete.

Was a controversial decision to some, but mainly the PPV did very well. So they must think the trilogy fight sells more then Rory and they are probably right.

The fights were amazing, I just wish they'd have held off for at least a fight each for Robbie and Johnny. But can't complain about seeing them scrap one last time.

Was a controversial decision to some, but mainly the PPV did very well. So they must think the trilogy fight sells more then Rory and they are probably right.

The fights were amazing, I just wish they'd have held off for at least a fight each for Robbie and Johnny. But can't complain about seeing them scrap one last time.

I feel like the double title fights, mixed in with the long run of shitty PPVs where people were excited to buy a good card, was mostly responsible.

No.

Lawler is sponsored by Addidas, which is the parent company of Reebok.

Also, they'll only be a couple fights away from everyone being a Reebok athlete.

Companies are run separately, kind of like Pepsi and Frito-Lays.

None of the other fighters will be sponsored by Reebok outside the cage. They will still have their own deals with Dethrone, Bad Boy etc. Only Jones, Rousey, Hendricks and Pettis have Reebok deals outside the cage and appear in Reebok ads and make appearances and such.

I doubt it has anything to do with Reebok. I'm shocked by the decision. I guess Zuffa is going with what works. They know how many pay per view buys they can get with the matchup and they are almost guaranteed that the fight will be entertaining. MacDonald is also young with a long career ahead of him so he'll get his chance anyway most likely.

Everything else points to MacDonald getting the shot. Giving him the shot would be a better long term investment for the UFC. Forcing a trilogy fight is a bad idea. Hendricks and Lawler would likely have been able to settle the score later anyway.

it may be one of the reasons. I think a big reason is cause it makes more sense for hendricks to be champ. Sacrificing one more rematch makes sense in the long run. Macdonald just lost to lawler, dumb rematch as well. Then all the other wws sniffing the title are teammates with lawler.. lombard, woodley (I guess he moved onto roufus), alves...

Also, lawler decision was kinda meh

UFC has shown that they don't need incentive to rush trilogies or make instant rematches.

I doubt it.

hendricks is getting the trilogy because that was the most bullshit decision ever. worse than his decision loss to gsp.

Despite your purple belt, that's the dumbest fucking thing I've read all 2015 so far.

Back