Is Rashad still a legitimate contendor for the LHW belt?

Of course, he is one of the elite in that division!

Pretty much. He's in the same boat as Chael, Condit, JDS, etc. Not a bad place to be, just not the best.

Chael, yes, but JDS? You gotta be kidding me. JDS and Cain are at 1-1 against each other, not only could JDS easily earn rubber match with one win, people would clamor for that shot if he KO's a guy like Fabricio Werdum or Cormier. As for his chances, JDS will always have at least a 25% chance to win against anyone because of his punching power, which is much more than you can say about Rashad vs. Jones.

as much as anybody else at lhw. i still don't see anyone but machida beating him at this point, and even that's a stretch.

Of course he is. He's still a big threat to anyone in the division.

Rashad will be given EVERY opportunity for another title run. Why?

The same reason that Chael gets title shots.

MONEY. MONEY. MONEY. The UFC is a business. In terms of money brought into the UFC, GSP, Anderson, JJ, Chael and Rashad are the biggest PPV draws. Rashad brings in more money for the UFC than champs Cain, Bendo, Aldo, Cruz and MM.

To me that gif just proves my point.
Rashad was confident in spurts in the first round however even before he got hit with those bows he started waiting on the outside simply too much. He needed to be much more aggressive in closing the distance and not getting stalked

566263332.gif

Yeah sure..

1. Machida
2. Hendo
3. Gus
4. Rashad

All still in contention

We are going to lose one of the top two though here soon, but who knows maybe one beats Jones and that pushes everyone up if it's not a close fight.

he's never getting that belt back...even if Jones moves up to hw, Rashad will be like 35 by that time, his speed will decline in the next years.

rashad is definitely still sitting near the top

He's in a Fitch position. Too good to fight the non top-5 fighters, not good enough to beat the champ. He didn't look impressive against Jon Jones. He had 5 rounds to do something and quite frankly, he didn't do much.

I say give him a warm up fight then test him against the Machida / Hendo winner and let's see if he can make it back to the top. He can always move to MW if something goes wrong. Rashad is in a pretty good place I reckon.

Chael, yes, but JDS? You gotta be kidding me. JDS and Cain are at 1-1 against each other, not only could JDS easily earn rubber match with one win, people would clamor for that shot if he KO's a guy like Fabricio Werdum or Cormier. As for his chances, JDS will always have at least a 25% chance to win against anyone because of his punching power, which is much more than you can say about Rashad vs. Jones.

Chael actually would be closer to compare to JDS than Rashad because he came the closest to actually beating the champ at the time. He still beats everyone else at MW; that's a pretty damn good position to be in and we know for a fact that he *can* beat everyone else at MW because they kept feeding him top ten material and he kept trashing them.

JDS is in the same exact situation, minus the post-title fight win streak. He's certainly got his work cut out for him and he could be facing Overeem or Cormier in the near future. Fact of the matter though is that he's a solid number 2 (heheh) in the HW division. You can't rank him 1, and you can speculate on 2, but that's where he and the other guys I mentioned, are at right now.

he's never getting that belt back...even if Jones moves up to hw, Rashad will be like 35 by that time, his speed will decline in the next years.

he will still be faster then alot of the other guys.

He was actually aggressive early and looked confident, until this happened:

Jon+Jones+Elbows+Rashad+Evans+-+UFC+145.gif

Not really a flaw in his game plan IMO

Another "he was looking great until he got hit in the face" excuse. Yeah, he was also aggressive early and looked confident against Machida. Then he got hit in the face. Look, like another poster said, Rashad made the mistake of waiting on the outside: he decided to stand right in Jon's range.

From the early beginning of the fight, he stood in a place where Jon could hit him but he could not hit Jones. The worst place to be against Jon Jones. He wasn't able to take Jones down. Hell, he wasn't even able to threaten him with a TD in the WHOLE fight.

Yes, he did seem to lose a step when the elbow hit him square in the face. Even before that, he was a lot of steps behind Jon Jones already...

No one is. Why do you think they have to scrape up 2 straight MWs to fight him?

he will still be faster then alot of the other guys.

Machida destroys him anytime, there will be up and comers that will be 10 years younger than him. I see gustaffson beating him up. if Hendo fights him this year i see him beating Rashad too. He gets rocked a lot, that's not a good thing when you fight a guy like Hendo.

Rashad Evans is a legitimate contender, make no mistake about it.

Another "he was looking great until he got hit in the face" excuse. Yeah, he was also aggressive early and looked confident against Machida. Then he got hit in the face. Look, like another poster said, Rashad made the mistake of waiting on the outside: he decided to stand right in Jon's range.

From the early beginning of the fight, he stood in a place where Jon could hit him but he could not hit Jones. The worst place to be against Jon Jones. He wasn't able to take Jones down. Hell, he wasn't even able to threaten him with a TD in the WHOLE fight.

Yes, he did seem to lose a step when the elbow hit him square in the face. Even before that, he was a lot of steps behind Jon Jones already...

What was Shad suppose to do? Rush in like Cain? Too bad Jones actually has a grappling game. We saw everytime they clinched Jones was out muscling. The times Shad shot in, Jones either shrugged it off or attempted a choke.

It really didn't matter what Shad's game plan was, he just got out classed everywhere the fight went.

Only realistic chance he had was a punchers chance. He landed 2 clean over hand rights and a head kick. Didn't do much, unfortuntely for him.

Back