Is Rashad Evans black belt level?

This conversation is dumb.

He was given a belt by a credible BB. He isn't getting subbed. He's a new BB fighting against guys who have been in BJJ much longer.

no wai dude!! he's not a real BB bc he doesn't even own a gi! wtf dude. BJJ rulz!

gtjddux.jpg

btw, Rhadi is probably my LEAST favorite Judoka on the planet.

I don't like his training style or competition methods and feel he should get his techniques outta Judo and into Submission Grappling only.

Seems to fight more than he plays....

I'll explain more if someone asks.... :)

which one of you BJJ nuthuggers is going to volunteer to tell that to Rashad or Rhadi?

that's right.

nonya.

If I or any other person went up to Rashad and gave him our opinion I don't think he really would give a fuck......he would probably just look at that person and say.."I am rich bitch" :icon_chee

please do....

:)

This is all based on threads involving Rhadi on Judoforum.com and his highlight videos. I've never attended one of his seminars or spoke to him in person.

1. I don't mind morote gari, in fact, I love it. I do think that it's one of the "lesser" throws that can easily cheapened with strength. I think, this move, more than all others can be sloppily accomplished by any decent bull rusher.

2. I don't think this move should have been illegalized...If you can't defend a double leg then you better get practicing.

3. Every throw on a Rhadi HL vid is this throw. And it is done, seemingly, with no control whatsoever. Uke may land on his back, upside down, whatever, but it just seems to be Rhadi bull rushing then tossing the guy in the air. Rhadi is a STRONG dude.

4. I hate grip fighting. I think it's 'bad' Judo. I think it's unnecessary and a sloppy path to lead Judoka's down. "GET YOUR GRIPS!" is the one of the last thing I want to hear yelled at kids during tourneys. The pushing/pulling in Judo SHOULD NOT be accomplished by dragging, or shaking the guy.

5. Rhadi seems content to teach all the things I hate about Judo tourneys to kids at a win at all cost mentality rather than developing proper Judo skills.

I don't mean to attack Rhadi personally, I'm sure he's a great dude, I just don't like his Judo. It's not so Judo-ish to me.

My Judo is a very combative style. I compete in BJJ and submission grappling tourneys. I have largely quit competing in Judo tourneys as I find the judging criteria and referring to be very outdated.

I don't believe in Yukos; the throw better be darn near perfect, or you better keep fighting. Fight til you get one.

I was about to keep going with some rants, but realized I was getting pretty far off the point.

It's a style thing. I don't like his. :)

May I Ask what your rank is and how long u have been training?

May I Ask what your rank is and how long u have been training?

haha, why is this always the response I get?

Do you have a question about one of my statements?

Would my remarks somehow be discredited if I was newer to Judo?

Please, don't be shy.

btw, I like your sig. Sounds like it refers to EXACTLY what I was takling about.

Last edited:
The fact of the matter is that no matter how many of us disagree with the belt and whether those disagreements are based on fact or not he still has a BJJ black belt. The only criteria that anybody can get anyone to agree on for qualification to be awarded a black belt is as follows:

A black belt (or any other colored belt) in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is awarded at the sole discretion of the head instructor of an academy.

There is no other standardized criteria and until there is BJJ belts are awarded at the sole discretion of the head instructor of any particular academy. Of course an instructor can't promote over his belt level.

Even though I might have some disagreement with Rashad's belt who am I to question it? I'm just going to work my ass off to (hopefully) deserve a black belt one day that nobody can rightfully question. That's all that I can do.

At first I was just gonna come on this thread and be like "NO," but then I saw that you posted it, Rambo.

I dunno, it's an interesting argument, and I'd definitely say that Couture IS black belt level (Barnett too maybe, though if the man's ever swept someone I'd be shocked).

I remember when Rogan said Hughes has, essentially, black belt level jiu jitsu and I just remember yelling at the screen and shit. He definitely can beat jiu jitsu blackbelts in MMA (goes without saying) and maybe even no-gi, but if Hughes went to the Mundials, I don't think he'd do fantastically. He'd do alright, but not great (I'm aware not all BBs do Mundials, but you know what my thesis is here). More importantly, I don't know if being able to beat jiu jitsu BBs makes you a jiu jitsu blackbelt.

As for Rashad? I dunno bro. Never seen that guy do anything I'd call jiu jitsu. I'll watch the vid again.

Dude, barnett swept couture. Who has swept couture besides nog?

:)

This is all based on threads involving Rhadi on Judoforum.com and his highlight videos. I've never attended one of his seminars or spoke to him in person.

1. I don't mind morote gari, in fact, I love it. I do think that it's one of the "lesser" throws that can easily cheapened with strength. I think, this move, more than all others can be sloppily accomplished by any decent bull rusher.

2. I don't think this move should have been illegalized...If you can't defend a double leg then you better get practicing.

3. Every throw on a Rhadi HL vid is this throw. And it is done, seemingly, with no control whatsoever. Uke may land on his back, upside down, whatever, but it just seems to be Rhadi bull rushing then tossing the guy in the air. Rhadi is a STRONG dude.

4. I hate grip fighting. I think it's 'bad' Judo. I think it's unnecessary and a sloppy path to lead Judoka's down. "GET YOUR GRIPS!" is the one of the last thing I want to hear yelled at kids during tourneys. The pushing/pulling in Judo SHOULD NOT be accomplished by dragging, or shaking the guy.

5. Rhadi seems content to teach all the things I hate about Judo tourneys to kids at a win at all cost mentality rather than developing proper Judo skills.

I don't mean to attack Rhadi personally, I'm sure he's a great dude, I just don't like his Judo. It's not so Judo-ish to me.

My Judo is a very combative style. I compete in BJJ and submission grappling tourneys. I have largely quit competing in Judo tourneys as I find the judging criteria and referring to be very outdated.

I don't believe in Yukos; the throw better be darn near perfect, or you better keep fighting. Fight til you get one.

I was about to keep going with some rants, but realized I was getting pretty far off the point.

It's a style thing. I don't like his. :)

Sounds like jealousy. It also sounds like you were getting your ass kicked in tournaments and quit because you thought the rules were unbecoming or outdated.

Also what are proper judo skills?

Pertaining to point 4. How in gods name are you supposed to throw someone if you don't have a grip on them? Use the force?

haha, why is this always the response I get?

Do you have a question about one of my statements?

Would my remarks somehow be discredited if I was newer to Judo?

Please, don't be shy.

btw, I like your sig. Sounds like it refers to EXACTLY what I was takling about.

You seem to be regurgitating statements and philosophies that you really don't seem to grasp. I.E spitting out what your "sensei" is saying. The longer and more you have trained you start to form ideas on your own and your comprehension of the style is higher.

So yes i would like to know what your background in judo is. I have trained judo on and off about two years.

I've been training since 1996. Took about 5 years "off". I'm now ikyu. I also train no-gi Judo and BJJ. I practice 4 times a week.

In comps, I've gotten my arse kicked and I've kicked some arse. I still compete like a maddog and love it win or lose. Have NEVER been taken down by a double leg in Judo or Subgrappling. Like I said, I don't hate the move, but it better not be your only tool. Sprawling isn't my only defensive tool.

I don't live in fairy tale land about Judo. I'm nuts about it like a lot of people on here are and I spend a lot of time TESTING techniques and visually them in my head, as well.

For grip fighting - It's not that I'm delusional, I just come from a slightly different schooling that plays the grip game differently. My sensei is an Olympic alt, Pan Am and US Open gold medalist. The way I've been taught is the way he fought and have proven the techniques work in comp.

You need a grip to throw someone? You better work on your Judo some more. Most people RUIN throws with their hands.

Judo, as it's typically taught, is stale. No instructors I've seen try to evolve their techniques. And its largely because of the backlash that people recieve when mentioning something different than what they were taught.

I have been contemplating putting out a technique or two, just to get some flaming/feedback on techniques for nogi. Maybe you can see what I mean.

I'm honestly not sure. It really is rather different when you put an actual gi on and do straight grappling. I'm sure several mma guys are probably very skilled in nogi, atleast in certain aspects and that I think is where it gets a little different. I suppose it really just matters on how the guy has learned grappling.

Pertaining to point 4. How in gods name are you supposed to throw someone if you don't have a grip on them? Use the force?

Yes. Utilize angles, balance, momentum, muscle.

But you don't necessarily need your hands ;)

The no grip fighting thing is retarded. It is so retarded, the statement is actually causing me physical pain.

You seem to be regurgitating statements and philosophies that you really don't seem to grasp. I.E spitting out what your "sensei" is saying. The longer and more you have trained you start to form ideas on your own and your comprehension of the style is higher.

Regurgitating philosophies? HA! What makes Judo uniqe are its underlying philosophies. It defines how a throw is done, son!

It's principles of physics, levers, etc....

Within the constraints, or definitions of a techique, find the most efficient and effective way to perform the said technique.

That phrasing should encourage ALL practicioners to "fix" techniques. If you can perform a technique in a more productive way then others should be open to how this is done. Not act like a bunch of Debbie Downers.

I've been around the block and have practiced Judo in several different countries with several different clubs.

lol that's what I've been saying. Rashad could probably go to most BJJ schools and own everyone except the instructor.

:icon_chee except the instructor?............Rashad is about 235 pounds walking around what does your average instructor weigh? maybe 180, he would kill 90% percent of the instructors in BJJ on size and strength alone

The no grip fighting thing is retarded. It is so retarded, the statement is actually causing me physical pain.

hahah, well said.

Maybe not NO grip fighting, per se, but HOW you fight for grips.

Grabbing my lapel and locking down on my gi is going to cause you a lot more problems than being pliable and adaptive. If you lockdown on my gi you've essentially created MY grips for me. Wherever I move, so do you.

Again, I'm not saying DON"T TOUCH EACH OTHER!, nor am I saying that you shouldn't try to ever establish grips. Just that the current school of grabbing and LOCKING DOWN is poor form.

Last edited:
:icon_chee except the instructor?............Rashad is about 235 pounds walking around what does your average instructor weigh? maybe 180, he would kill 90% percent of the instructors in BJJ on size and strength alone

dude, it doesn't matter.

you know you can't do teh joo jitsooo without the most important aspect of training....

pajamas_568.jpg

or if you're training judo:

spo_pink_hands_tee.jpg

Back