Is pure strength underrated in grappling?

Because BJJ is supposed to be about getting good technically rather than winning matches. Winning matches is supposed to be a function of better technique, not physical attributes. I don't agree with this idea (you win how you can win), and I haven't actually met many people who try to get by on strength rather than learn technique which is supposedly the downside of being strong and using it while rolling, but I think that's the general argument. Personally I like rolling with really strong guys, it gives you a much better idea of how good you really are in various positions. If I can sweep a dude who can DL 2x what I can, that sweep is probably going to work on anyone.

I think the silly 'BJJ takes no strength, Helio could barely lift his arm' mythos is thankfully dying, but it's a slow death and there are plenty of people whose livelihoods depend partially on selling that myth, so my guess is it still has legs at least in certain BJJ circles. Though those people usually suck and continue to be marginalized in the larger community.

completely agree.

I get so tired of fools saying "you're using too much muscle" or "you're bench pressing" all while I'm letting them start off from scarf hold,side control, or giving them my back with hooks in ffs

dude I have to really resist the urge to say get off your period, shut the fuck up and just roll... I've mellowed a tad in my advanced age lol.

^^^^^

Eye contact has no bearing on the homoeroticism of the Atos 'Blue Steel' pic.

completely agree.

I get so tired of fools saying "you're using too much muscle" or "you're bench pressing" all while I'm letting them start off from scarf hold,side control, or giving them my back with hooks in ffs

dude I have to really resist the urge to say get off your period, shut the fuck up and just roll... I've mellowed a tad in my advanced age lol.

I must be at a good gym because I never hear anyone ever tell anyone else they're using too much strength. I'll tell white belts to calm down because they gas themselves with forearm shivers as soon as they get grips, but that's a question of efficiency not executing a move with less power than it requires.

Another thing is that most guys can't tell the difference between technique and strength. I'm kinda pudgy, haven't lifted other than kettlebells since I had to give up my power rack 1.5 years ago (thanks to my now 13 month old son needing a room), and I still get people at tournaments who are jacked as shit telling me how strong I am. Alternative theory: I'm good at applying pressure. My 170 lb coach almost makes me tap from mount pressure when he's demoing moves he puts so much weight on my sternum, and his knee slide pass with a cross grip feels like it's going to break your jaw. He's in good shape, but he's no power lifter, he's just really really efficient at using the strength he has to make you super uncomfortable. So I usually take it as a complement from someone who doesn't know any better when they tell me how strong I am...it really means they did not like my pressure.

I must be at a good gym because I never hear anyone ever tell anyone else they're using too much strength. I'll tell white belts to calm down because they gas themselves with forearm shivers as soon as they get grips, but that's a question of efficiency not executing a move with less power than it requires.

Another thing is that most guys can't tell the difference between technique and strength. I'm kinda pudgy, haven't lifted other than kettlebells since I had to give up my power rack 1.5 years ago (thanks to my now 13 month old son needing a room), and I still get people at tournaments who are jacked as shit telling me how strong I am. Alternative theory: I'm good at applying pressure. My 170 lb coach almost makes me tap from mount pressure when he's demoing moves he puts so much weight on my sternum, and his knee slide pass with a cross grip feels like it's going to break your jaw. He's in good shape, but he's no power lifter, he's just really really efficient at using the strength he has to make you super uncomfortable. So I usually take it as a complement from someone who doesn't know any better when they tell me how strong I am...it really means they did not like my pressure.

How are the wife and kiddo doing bud?

How are the wife and kiddo doing bud?

Wife's a little bored with her job which is a bummer since she makes bank doing it, kid is awesome. Just yesterday he decided that one or two steps at a time wasn't enough so he started just walking everywhere. It's pretty damn adorable.

Wife's a little bored with her job which is a bummer since she makes bank doing it, kid is awesome. Just yesterday he decided that one or two steps at a time wasn't enough so he started just walking everywhere. It's pretty damn adorable.

tell her to suck it up or do what it takes to keep her happy at home...keep the money rollin in for BJJ old man worlds next year. :)

Glad the kiddo is doing well. I am hoping the GF and I have one in the next 18 months.

Back