Is punching power the strangest, most unexplained phenomena in sports?

it's really like many other arguments, the nature/nurture debate. I think it's both. You watch Hearns or Tyson, those guys were born punchers but they also learned how to maximize every ounce of their ability. Hearns would throw the big right hand and drop his weight into it being as he was usually a good 4 inches taller than most of hiss opponent, he'd also lift his elbow up at the point of impact to get a little bit of extra kick into it it, not to mention turning his whole body into it. Tyson threw his big right hands differently because he was usually punching up, but he'd transfer all of his weight forward and leave only his rear toe touching the canvas, leaving all of his weight on his front leg.

Whatever.
remember when you were in elementary school, and u threw a peace of paper from the end of a quiet class landing in the trash can? You didn't pull any technique, u barely even looked, u were bored and yawning. All your arguments apply here too.

There is only one universally consensus formula worshiped by all and it starts at 0:20

Acceleration means nothing in that context it's speed x mass. A car/fist could accelerate nothing and it would hurt you badly if it's fast enough.
Often fighters who get called slow only move slowly but have good handspeed when punching. And then there are those who are a mystery.
I guess the mystery comes from delivering the mass/no power being lost during the punch (rigid fist and arm, strong connective tissues, connecting properly and everything).
Also putting as much weight into the punch as possible through technique and maybe body proportions
I'm not a physicist but it seems those simple equations are not adequate unless the boxer landing the blow is shot out of a cannon.

I believe body types are also important.

For instance you have a guy like Hearns who was skinny but with very broad shoulders, meanwhile Tyson had narrow shoulders with huge legs.

So I'd say Tyson's power was more due strength and leverage meanwhile Hearns was powerful due to mechanics and physics.

Lots of factors.

The main factor is the nervous system, the imparting of rapid accelerated penetrating punches generated from the beautiful mind.

Back