Is Prince the Best Musican of the Last 30yrs

I know Prince is apparently popular but I honestly have never known one person who listens to his music.

You're really going to generalize an entire genre of music like that based off of.... what? If you dislike metal, that's cool, but don't make ignorant comments about something you know nothing about. Jazz has actually been a gigantic influence on metal and lots of jazz riffs are used constantly with what you call "shredding". Metal has deep jazz and classical roots.

I'm with you brother!

Last edited:
Never really been into his music.

But he is very talented yes.

Should also add I don't think you can nail down a "BEST" like this.
More like just saying he is in the top end. There are so many fantastic musicians in this world.

Gonna have to agree 100%. Prince is very talented, no doubt about it. But calling someone the best in field so dense with talent is disrespectful, and downright ignorant. So many different styles and techniques. No one will ever master them all.

I'd put Trent Reznor over Prince, but he is definitely underrated and disregarded because of his flamboyance.

After the release of The Downward Spiral, Prince was telling his producers to mix the music heavier. Trent had gotten a kick out of that and said he was a fan of his as well.

Trent would be the Mozart of the 1900's. No-one has done what he has before and no-one even bothers to attempt it to this day. Downward Spiral is an album that sounds different over repeated listening. Over the years I hear different layers to the music. There's never been an album as complex and ambitious as it.

Last edited:
Prince is a great musician.
He is better at basketball though, as many have noted.

There are great musicians like Steven Wilson who most have never even heard of. That's why these threads are never accurate.

There are great musicians like Steven Wilson who most have never even heard of. That's why these threads are never accurate.

I love my some Porcupine Tree!

I agree with you as well.

Some notable muscians

Jari Maenpaa
Devin Townsend
Steven Wilson
Mikael Akerfeldt
Chuck Schuldiner

Prince is an incredible musician. I went to one of his concerts once ... free ticket ... and he was amazing. But the thing is, I don't think any of his songs are actually that good. Being skilled is one thing, but he just hasn't done any work that I think is that great. I respect his skills, but he just hasn't put out fantastic classic songs in my book.

Kind of like Michael Jackson. Incredible performer and artist, but honestly his songs are objectively pretty shitty.

Some notable muscians

Jari Maenpaa
Devin Townsend
Steven Wilson
Mikael Akerfeldt
Chuck Schuldiner

A good list of people who will never get their due. Devin Townsend is so multi-faceted but his music is so damn quirky and strange! I love Ziltoid the Omniscient. I like Akerfeldt a lot but I don't think he is quite up to the level of the other guys. Jari is God

A good list of people who will never get their due. Devin Townsend is so multi-faceted but his music is so damn quirky and strange! I love Ziltoid the Omniscient. I like Akerfeldt a lot but I don't think he is quite up to the level of the other guys. Jari is God

Yeah, Akerfeldt seems to be going downhill in recent years.

As for Jari. We haven't seen even heard what he's entirely capable of yet!

That's the hardest thing about being a metal-head. I really like pagan, viking/folk metal. This is such a small niche in metal, and as a metal-head I dislike 95% of metal. So how do I stick up for it when you could post 100 videos of what you think to be shitty metal, and I'm probably going to agree with you on all of it? What does boil my blood is when people dismiss an entire genre because they've heard Slipknot and think that's what all metal bands sound like.

Anyways, back to Prince. I can't think of anyone that I think is a better overall musician that is even 10% as successful as him. That's a pretty strong case for him.

One thing people don't like about metal is that some of the fans (not all) tend to be very elitist about it. They shit on other genres and act like no person/band even comes close to being as talented as metal bands.

My fav. is Little Red Corvette. His brilliant line of "Girl, you got an ass like I never seeeeeeeen", is in my top ten lines of all time.

One thing people don't like about metal is that some of the fans (not all) tend to be very elitist about it. They shit on other genres and act like no person/band even comes close to being as talented as metal bands.

Yeah I'll give you that all day long. I think the driving force behind that is that a lot of metal fans enjoy the technicality of it. It's hard to listen to some of the most proficient guitar players and drummers in the world and not think bands like the White Stripes are total tripe.

Some notable muscians

Jari Maenpaa
Devin Townsend
Steven Wilson
Mikael Akerfeldt
Chuck Schuldiner
I think Daniel Gildenlow is one of the best musicians of the last twenty years. The diversity of his music is impressive.

Last edited:
Yeah I'll give you that all day long. I think the driving force behind that is that a lot of metal fans enjoy the technicality of it. It's hard to listen to some of the most proficient guitar players and drummers in the world and not think bands like the White Stripes are total tripe.

Technicality with respects to lead guitar lines and solos, maybe. What drives me up the wall about metal-heads (especially those who can play guitar but are either beginners or have absolutely no knowledge of music theory whatsoever) is that they'll lord the technical prowess of a certain player over you, or wax poetic about another player's use of harmonic minor/phrygian dominant modes while remaining blissfully ignorant or unaware of the fact that while the lead playing is impressive, it is more often that not coupled with almost caveman-stupid rhythm guitar.

The overwhelming majority of metal songs are in Eminor and make use of the simple root-fifth dyad for chords. There's nothing technical or sophisticated about that, no matter what the tempo of the song is. And god forbid that a major third finds it way into the mix.

Pisses me off cause Tony Iommi had two of his fingers chopped off and still was more varied and adventurous in his use of chords than most. Hell, he even dared to have major chords in his songs.

Back