Is Prime Hughes a better wrestler than Tyron Woodley?

Woodley is significantly better than Hughes

Watch Hughes try take Alves down. Yes, perhaps outside prime but most of Hughes' success was against the Frank Trigg's of this world.

Fighters are much more physical and takedown defence is much better these days. Prime Hughes wouldn't even be in the top 5 these days and, no, his wrestling isn't and never was on the level of Woodley's.

Woodley is significantly better than Hughes

Watch Hughes try take Alves down. Yes, perhaps outside prime but most of Hughes' success was against the Frank Trigg's of this world.

Fighters are much more physical and takedown defence is much better these days. Prime Hughes wouldn't even be in the top 5 these days and, no, his wrestling isn't and never was on the level of Woodley's.

Terrible example, that's a non prime Hughes against a prime huge Thiago Alves. Hughes has better wrestling Woodley is the better fighter.

A more interesting thread would be whether Hughes's kickboxing was better than Ernesto Hoost's.

No

Prime Hughes is one of the most overrated fighters in MMA history.

He is.

He beat a lot of cans.
He beat a few names that he had 20 lbs on.

He got finished off by Pele Landi.
Then Pele finished off Miletich.
Then Pele went to Pride and lost to Matsui.
Matsui is considered a “can” by idiots on Sherdog and Hughes is a legend.

Woodley could outwreslte GSP, Askren and Hughes on the same night, but in reality he would just KTFO them. Tyron is one of the most complete mixed martial artists on the roster right now, respect

Could out wrestle askren? Lol what you smoking boy

Terrible example, that's a non prime Hughes against a prime huge Thiago Alves. Hughes has better wrestling Woodley is the better fighter.

OK maybe a bad example but here's a better one.

GPS Hughes 2 and 3. Gsp ragdolls Hughes.

There's no way Woodley would get ragdolled like that. No way.

Different era, yes. But there's zero chance if they fought prime v prime that Hughes would out wrestle Woodley. Zero.

OK maybe a bad example but here's a better one.

GPS Hughes 2 and 3. Gsp ragdolls Hughes.

There's no way Woodley would get ragdolled like that. No way.

Different era, yes. But there's zero chance if they fought prime v prime that Hughes would out wrestle Woodley. Zero.

You're not talking about what the TS is asking. He didn't say who would win in an MMA fight, but who has better wrestling. GSP is a terrible match up for Hughes and is a bad match up for Woodley as well though he would likely outstrike him in his prime. Woodley is a bad match up for Hughes as well. Hughes had more effective takedowns than Woodley and had far less tools to set up his takedowns so IMO his wrestling was clearly better he's just way less well rounded.

I think Hughes piecing up exhausted/injured BJ in the rematch was pretty much the beginning of the end for Matt as a top fighter. After that he started working mostly on his boxing with his personal boxing coach and as you said it never materialized. Plus he got old and aging fighters seem to usually shy away from their wrestling.

I’d agree for the most part...

Although a bit later he did have a 3 fight streak with the Renzo stoppage, Serra dec and Almada sub... Not elite wins, but decent / solid wins..

He was on the decline for sure tho...

Hughes was way more aggressive than Woodley.

I’d agree for the most part...

Although a bit later he did have a 3 fight streak with the Renzo stoppage, Serra dec and Almada sub... Not elite wins, but decent / solid wins..

He was on the decline for sure tho...
Absolutely. He fought hard to get that Serra win, looked great versus Almeida, and dominated an overmatched Renzo which is all you can ask. I also think Hughes got old and couldn't wrestle as much. He was never a slick TD artist but rather a beastly brute. So once his strength diminished and he acquired some injuries he was much more likely to strike. And he was making good money so why not continue. I'm actually surprised he didn't fight longer.

Absolutely. He fought hard to get that Serra win, looked great versus Almeida, and dominated an overmatched Renzo which is all you can ask. I also think Hughes got old and couldn't wrestle as much. He was never a slick TD artist but rather a beastly brute. So once his strength diminished and he acquired some injuries he was much more likely to strike. And he was making good money so why not continue. I'm actually surprised he didn't fight longer.

I agree...

He lost a step or two.. wasn’t quite as strong.. and I’d concur with the wrestling aspect.. age, injuries, etc.. His wrestling wasn’t as potent as it use to be = forced to strike more then he’d like.

Also.. guys TDD got better and better.. I remember watching the Alves fight.. Not only was Hughes not as strong / big as he use to be.. he wasn’t as quick(not that he was ever super slick, but you get it) - And Alves was in the prime of his being as absolutely monstrous/ beastly /gigantic as possible...

I was watching, thinking... Hughes as almost zero chance of taking Alves down and or keeping him down... Hughes tried a few TDs.. not really close, forced to stand and strike.. gets tko’d..

I might be off a bit.. But go back and watch some of Hughes earlier fights.. Sherk, Newton.. He was huge.. I think a decent amount of guys as they age don’t lifts weights as much maybe/could be result of aging.. I’m off the rails here... what was the point... ah..

Hughes always seemed like a guy that would want to compete for as long as he could... I’m sure he would want to fight the best, but he also wouldn’t mind competing and pounding a few B-level fighters behind the barn in a lesser organization.. But his loyalty to Dana and the ufc paycheck kept him out of the cage.. kinda surprised we didn’t see him in more grappling/bjj matches..

Not that it matter but hughes is farmboy
intense. Just like woodleys is hood never
good like that son. Their wrestling should
get nowhere since it will cancel the other
even steven seagle. Woodleys explosivity
really should be to much.
Surely. ..

Get your angel dust and pipe and get read
ok? One hit off this bullshit fight is def not
not your average fantasy MMA spawn. Na
na this is jacked farmer vs breed superex
athletic freak.

Now it would have been fun wen both wer
in da mix at the same time. Before wood
got dat rythm.

There's really no basis for saying that Woodley is a better wrestler than Hughes. Hughes certainly used his wrestling in MMA more than Woodley does. He became a dominant champion primarily because of his wrestling. When was the last time Woodley utilized a wrestling-dominant strategy to win a fight?

And Hughes was the slightly better amateur wrestler. I believe Woodley won one state title in high school, whereas Hughes won two state titles. And at the NCAA level, Woodley's best finish was 7th place, whereas Hughes placed 5th. I realize this is splitting hairs, but it simply highlights the point that Woodley accomplished less in wrestling and uses wrestling less than Hughes in MMA.

Where's the argument?
They were both Two-time Division 1 All-Americans, same acomplishments. Hughes has more of a pedegree with his HS state Championships but College is the real deal. Safe to say they are pretty much equal as far as wrestlers. As far as MMA Woodley gets my nod, just more explosive and can more than likely put Hughes to sleep even before they have to roll around. Dare I say the "better athlete".

He is.

He beat a lot of cans.
He beat a few names that he had 20 lbs on.

He got finished off by Pele Landi.
Then Pele finished off Miletich.
Then Pele went to Pride and lost to Matsui.
Matsui is considered a “can” by idiots on Sherdog and Hughes is a legend.

Never failed to amaze me with your stupidity.

They were both Two-time Division 1 All-Americans, same acomplishments. Hughes has more of a pedegree with his HS state Championships but College is the real deal. Safe to say they are pretty much equal as far as wrestlers. As far as MMA Woodley gets my nod, just more explosive and can more than likely put Hughes to sleep even before they have to roll around. Dare I say the "better athlete".

This isn't a Hughes vs Woodley thread, it's just about who's the better MMA wrestler. Of course Woodley would beat Hughes, he's a terrible match up for him. I think Hughes was the better MMA wrestler but not by a lot.

Last edited:
This isn't a Hughes vs Woodley thread, it's just about who's the better MMA wrestler. Of course Woodley would beat Hughes, he's a terrible match up for him. I think Hughes was the better MMA wrestler but not by a lot.
Domt really know what that means, better "MMA wrestler". If we're talking MMA then its more about who wins, not whose wrestling is "better". Its already established they both have similar if not equal pedegree from a wrestling perspective, but thats wrestling as the sport itself. Hughes used "more" wrestling because that was the best tool he had. Woodley has a bit more tools at his disposal, so only relys on it when the fight goes there. I guess for the fact wrestling is most of what Hughes did to win, he could be considered "better" at MMA wrestling but in reality that doesnt make much sense either, if Hughes tried to wrestle Woodley in the Octagon he'd get destroyed cause theyre fighting MMA.

Domt really know what that means, better "MMA wrestler". If we're talking MMA then its more about who wins, not whose wrestling is "better". Its already established they both have similar if not equal pedegree from a wrestling perspective, but thats wrestling as the sport itself. Hughes used "more" wrestling because that was the best tool he had. Woodley has a bit more tools at his disposal, so only relys on it when the fight goes there. I guess for the fact wrestling is most of what Hughes did to win, he could be considered "better" at MMA wrestling but in reality that doesnt make much sense either, if Hughes tried to wrestle Woodley in the Octagon he'd get destroyed cause theyre fighting MMA.

Wrestling within MMA, who's been more effective at it over various high level opponents(not just one person/one match up). IMO it's Hughes. A one on one fight doesn't determine who's MMA wrestling is better because Woodley would just make it a striking match.

Hughes has better wrestling than Woodley but not by a lot and a similar small advantage in sub grappling. Woodley is a much better striker and has much more puching power making him a terrible match up for Hughes.

It's hard to say. Woodley has crazy takedown defense but I don't remember him doing a lot of offensive wrestling. Whereas Hughes was agressive. He would slam you down and GnP you until TKO or you opened up a submission. He has more submissions than TKOs.

That's funny, If I remember correctly Woodley was known as one of the worst LNP-fighters before he came to the UFC and started KO'ing people.

Back