Is Prime Hughes a better wrestler than Tyron Woodley?

Saying Hughes is overrated is beyond dumb. Prime Hughes would still be a top ten WW right now.

As for the OP question, I would say that Woodley is the better wrestler due to his athleticism and speed advantage.

I’m a firm believer that he’s champ because the old guard got to old and battle worn, and the new bread is experienced enough yet, not that he’s improved significantly.

I just think he fell into it at the right time and place.
I agree with this and also Rory would beat him again.

But I want him to knock Colby out.

Hard to tell, Matt's biggest wrestling displays in his career were Sherk and Trigg. Tyron never really had to use his wrestling at all in his UFC career.

It's hard to say. Woodley has crazy takedown defense but I don't remember him doing a lot of offensive wrestling. Whereas Hughes was agressive. He would slam you down and GnP you until TKO or you opened up a submission. He has more submissions than TKOs.
To be fair todays competition is a lot better than Hughes days. The TDD is much imprved. How often do you see people getting slammed these days. MMA is on another level compared to Hughes prime days.

No

Prime Hughes is one of the most overrated fighters in MMA history.

Yup, compared to today's UFC fighters all Hughes has is offensive grappling. He'd get outclassed badly on the feet by anyone in the top 10.

No

Prime Hughes was great for his time but yes ... he was overrated as was the WW division.
He couldn't beat a chubby Lightweight.

No

Really?? You think?

I get times changes... But for his time and that division... He was very successful... As a Champion as well.. Running into a legitimate “all time great/GOAT” candidate in GSP and a loss to a prime/emerging BJ Penn is only major ufc blemishes during his prime/championship runs..

Hallman obviously is in there but he rebounded from that L... As we all know..

His striking never really came to fruition... Regardless of how much Goldie brought it up... Outside of an exhausted Penn and tko’ing Renzo...

But his skill set fit his style and he won a lot mire then he lost during his era... Idonknow... always thought he was one that wasn’t overrated for his era...

To each their own though..

Yes, but he would have next to zero chance of getting Tyron down, if that makes sense.

Completely...

Randy talking about having trouble taking and keeping Penn down during training...

Aldo stuffing TD after TD from a wrestler like Mendes.

GSP doing the same to Hughes, Trigg, Sherk, Koscheck, etc..

Something I have always loved about fighters that don’t have traditional wrestling backgrounds.. awesome TDD/offensive wrestling skills... Obviously Tyron is a great amateur wrestler... But guys with better “on paper” wrestling accomplishments - Wouldn’t be able to take him down inside the cage...

I think if you dropped the best versions of each fighter into the cage, Hughes definitely wouldn't be able to implement his usual wrestling-centric game against Woodley.

I don't think Woodley would even elect to wrestle much. Just defensively grapple and pick Hughes apart on his feet before hitting him with something big.

Woodley could outwreslte GSP, Askren and Hughes on the same night, but in reality he would just KTFO them. Tyron is one of the most complete mixed martial artists on the roster right now, respect

Since they've never fought each other, the only way to predict how they'd do is based on MMA math -- ie how each of them looked against other fighters. But if you're using MMA math you have to conclude Rory would beat all of them (since he already beat Woodley).

The thing is, MMA math simply doesn't work. Anyone who tells you they know how those fights would turn out is selling you something.

His striking never really came to fruition... Regardless of how much Goldie brought it up... Outside of an exhausted Penn and tko’ing Renzo...
I think Hughes piecing up exhausted/injured BJ in the rematch was pretty much the beginning of the end for Matt as a top fighter. After that he started working mostly on his boxing with his personal boxing coach and as you said it never materialized. Plus he got old and aging fighters seem to usually shy away from their wrestling.

I think everyone should go back and watch the Matt Hughes fights from the early 2000s. Sakurai, Newton, Etc. He was the archetype of what an MMA wrestler should be. Totally well rounded and entertaining as hell.

Country breakfast Hughes was possibly the greatest MMA wrestler the sport has seen
What does that make GSP? He ragdolled him twice -or at least in the final fight (I remember the second one being mostly on the feet).

Since they've never fought each other, the only way to predict how they'd do is based on MMA math -- ie how each of them looked against other fighters. But if you're using MMA math you have to conclude Rory would beat all of them (since he already beat Woodley).

Yep. And as I said earlier, we haven't seen Woodley against a prime NCAA Div. 1 type wrestler...at least not in MMA. Sure, he can stuff TDs all day from Maia, a 39-year old BJJ guy. But he just hasn't fought many good wrestlers, especially compared to GSP, who fought tons of them.

Yes better MMA wrestler. He was stronger compared to his opponents too. The strength difference was more apparent than in woodleys case.

When Twood pickups number 1 contenders walks across the cage while getting choked and slams em I will be buy into it.

To be fair todays competition is a lot better than Hughes days

Probably, but I think the deepest talent pool was about 5 to 8 years ago. Prime versions of Hendricks, Lawler, Condit, Shields, Ellenberger. GSP was younger/better, and there was Rory, Fitch, early WW Maia, who was a beast (ask Fitch). Then there was Palhares and the short-lived WW career of Hector Lombard who looked much better at WW than MW (very hard puncher with great grappling--he tossed Shields around).

Several of those guys would be serious challenges for Woodley and Askren. I'd like to see Askren's gameplan vs. Palhares or Lombard (who allegedly outrgrappled him in training).

Woodley could outwreslte GSP, Askren and Hughes on the same night, but in reality he would just KTFO them. Tyron is one of the most complete mixed martial artists on the roster right now, respect

Why flat out lie?

Woodley has never ever been able to out wrestle Askren. They have been wrestling each other since there days at Missouri, Woodley will tell you that Askren beats him at wrestling.

This post is stupid.

I think Hughes piecing up exhausted/injured BJ in the rematch was pretty much the beginning of the end for Matt as a top fighter. After that he started working mostly on his boxing with his personal boxing coach and as you said it never materialized. Plus he got old and aging fighters seem to usually shy away from their wrestling.

He was probably too injured to wrestle much, I disagree that his striking never materialized though, it just got good too late in his career when he was too old/worn out. Hughes was putting a striking clinic on Koscheck till Koscheck realized that Hughes didn't have enough punching power to hurt him.

Back