Is Prime Hughes a better wrestler than Tyron Woodley?

Offensively?

Lets see

Wall-n-stall vs. Ground-n-pound

To be fair Woodley would outwrestle Hughes

Most likely yes, he did better as an amateur wrestler and used his wrestling in MMA far more and was more effective with it. In an MMA fight though I would pick Woodley prime vs prime as his wrestling is close to Hughes but his striking and striking power is way better.

I noticed a lot of people are responding to the question who would win in their primes Hughes vs Woodley but that's not what the TS asked, Hughes can both have better wrestling and likely lose to Woodley prime vs prime.

Tyron against prime gsp would go just how gsp vs kos went. He probably prays every night that Rory left. Woodley had absolutely nothing for him and even got taken down. I'm not saying woodley sucks, cause he's a solid fighter, but he's been benefiting from the lack of quality fighters at WW lately.

I wouldn't say it's a lack of quality fighter, Woodley doesn't seem to do well against a very specific type, technical strikers that favor the jab and fighting long while having strong wrestling themselves and good clinch games. There aren't that many guys like that at WW at a high enough level, Rory is one of them GSP is another.

Not sure. Hughes was a more entertaining fighter and made more physical contact with his opponents than Tyron.

No

Prime Hughes is one of the most overrated fighters in MMA history.
ShockingNeatEarwig-size_restricted.gif

2009 GSP would TD and outwresle Woodley and any other WW all day. Get over your Tyron love.

He won't outwrestle Askren either, but would probably keep it standing enough to win a decision.
Woodley kos gsp stiff

It's hard to say. Woodley has crazy takedown defense but I don't remember him doing a lot of offensive wrestling. Whereas Hughes was agressive. He would slam you down and GnP you until TKO or you opened up a submission. He has more submissions than TKOs.
I’d say go back and watch Woodleys strike force fights but trust me you don’t want to. All he did was lay and pray.

I’d say go back and watch Woodleys strike force fights but trust me you don’t want to. All he did was lay and pray.

:) - Thanks for saving me the trouble. He's always been somewhat boring to me. Boring performances that I remember and boring, whiney, personality.

And get his head taken off by marquart
Yea but after that fight and getting knocked out cold in the post fight interview he said something like “ I know you all tired of me being boring so I came out swinging this time.” That’s really cool to me. I don’t really like his personality or whatever but he’s had a pretty awesome career and it’s not over yet. I sure never thought he’d be a ufc champ watching his early fights .

Woodley could outwreslte GSP, Askren and Hughes on the same night, but in reality he would just KTFO them. Tyron is one of the most complete mixed martial artists on the roster right now, respect
Lol. I like Tyron but he's not nearly as complete as prime GSP. The only think he has that Georges didn't is 1 punch power but Koscheck had that too, as did Hendrix and it still wasn't enough. (Not even close to it in Koschecks case)

Yea but after that fight and getting knocked out cold in the post fight interview he said something like “ I know you all tired of me being boring so I came out swinging this time.” That’s really cool to me. I don’t really like his personality or whatever but he’s had a pretty awesome career and it’s not over yet. I sure never thought he’d be a ufc champ watching his early fights .
I’m a firm believer that he’s champ because the old guard got to old and battle worn, and the new bread is experienced enough yet, not that he’s improved significantly.

I just think he fell into it at the right time and place.

Nope matt Hughes couldn't keep little sherk down

Prime kos is better than those two

Back