Is Phil Davis the most under rated fighter in the UFC? Davis > Sonnen/Hendo/Gus imo

He beat lil nog and finished Gusta and still gets no mention of anything. Just because he lost to Rashad which is stylistically a bad match u for him he gets over looked a lot.

Gustafsson was still green and Lil Nog has been umimpressive in the UFC.

i think phil davis has a strong chance to beat jones once he develops more as a mixed martial artist.

Once his stand up improves in all aspects, i think he will be a good fight for jones.

That's only true if you believe Jones's development will stagnate, while Davis continues to improve. There's no reason to believe that, though. So far, Jones has evolved at a much faster rate, and I see no reason to believe that Davis will ever overtake him. Even if he reaches the same level of striking as Jones, that crazy reach advantage will still be a factor.

i think davis is somewhat over rated but a very good fighter. i think he really needs to develop a sick bjj game to be a factor for a title

theres just some things fighters will never be great at. no matter how hard guys train wrestling they will never be on guys like davis level. davis will never be a great striker. he can get better but his striking will never be a weapon vs high ranked guys at LHW. davis's takedowns are good and his sub game is good. if he improves everywhere but focuses more on his bjj i think he would get the best results

when rashad and jones are both better wrestlers and strikers than you, you got problems at LHW

Jones is not a better wrestler than Davis.

Yup. I mean rashad is no slouch standing and couldn't finish Davis.

Rashad is a good striker, but he tends to be conservative for long stretches of time, waiting on an opportunity to land a big counter. Ever since Chuck, he hasn't made a habit of finishing.

Rashad is a good striker, but he tends to be conservative for long stretches of time, waiting on an opportunity to land a big counter. Ever since Chuck, he hasn't made a habit of finishing.

Not finishing rampage or knocking out Thiago is nothing to be ashamed of

Jones is not a better wrestler than Davis.

Maybe not, but he's good enough to avoid being taken down. Evans had the best chance of getting inside Jones's reach for the TD, because he's so quick. Davis, on the other hand, has a pretty slow shot. I see no way that he gets Jones down. Even if he does, his GnP isn't exactly devastating, and I doubt he subs Jones (although that is his best chance). On the other hand, if Jones can get Davis on his back, he doesn't need long to rock him with elbows.

Davis issue is that he is slow as hell and his striking isn't coming along very well.

He would never get near Jones who would pick him apart and his TD is way to slow to get to Jones.

Not finishing rampage or knocking out Thiago is nothing to be ashamed of

I'm not saying that. My point was merely that Davis surviving on the feet against Rashad isn't exactly a testament to his striking defense. Rashad fights conservatively, so surviving against him is quite possible if you go into defensive mode.

I'm not saying that. My point was merely that Davis surviving on the feet against Rashad isn't exactly a testament to his striking defense. Rashad fights conservatively, so surviving against him is quite possible if you go into defensive mode.

he didn't fight conservatively in the Davis fight at all though? salaverry and all that.

Anyway, as others have pointed out, Davis hasn't really gotten any better at the stuff he was bad at. His striking is wooden and has he has no transitions / mix-ups between strikes and the takedown. he has a 1,2 which he seems really bad at judging the distance on, a body kick and a leg kick.

against people he can just bully with sheer wrestling technique and power (ie most of the division) he's going to win. against the ones that he can't, he's not.

Back