Is Phil Davis the most under rated fighter in the UFC? Davis > Sonnen/Hendo/Gus imo

Davis stand up is really robotic and slow he was losing the striking against Prado but he is strong, big and a good wrestler with decent submission

But that's only because Gus has been given more opportunities, he hasn't fought a wrestler like Davis since that fight so it's tough to see how much his grappling has really improved.

True, but considering that in the first fight Gus show amazing TDD and only got reversed because of his own stupid TD attempt, I think it's safe to say his TDD is now very good.

However, I'm interested to see how his bottom game has developed. He only was on his back very briefly vs Te Huna I think.

Gus would also lose badly to rashad and Davis would beat shogun worse than gus did.

Davis is the superior fighter.

Some people just don't have the tools to become a good striker. Nowadays striking and footwork is key to actually being able to use wrestling efficiently. You have to read your opponent, as well as develop a striking/footwork that allows you to use your wrestling.

I don't see much of this in Phil Davies. When he gets pushed he goes back to his bread and butter, and I haven't seen his takedown timing improving the way you can expect from a future champion.

he looked abso-fucking-lutely awful against rashad. he will never threaten jon jones

emphatic NO to answer the TS

True, but considering that in the first fight Gus show amazing TDD and only got reversed because of his own stupid TD attempt, I think it's safe to say his TDD is now very good.

However, I'm interested to see how his bottom game has developed. He only was on his back very briefly vs Te Huna I think.

You're right, he did show good TDD in that fight and I'm sure it's gotten even better. And his TD attempt was a stupid move, but he did get taken down before the choke. I'm still not sold on his bottom game.

He looked like he was about to get ruined by Wagner Prado in their first fight before he poked Prado's eyeballs to shit.

Phil Davis even said that he can't take Gus down anymore in trainings. (Something like that)

Different game than Gus, they should be somewhat similar in rankings.

Hendo, I don't think so.

Sonnen is a non-issue because we've never seen him at LHW.

All four would get tooled by Jones, so no big.

i think davis is somewhat over rated but a very good fighter. i think he really needs to develop a sick bjj game to be a factor for a title

theres just some things fighters will never be great at. no matter how hard guys train wrestling they will never be on guys like davis level. davis will never be a great striker. he can get better but his striking will never be a weapon vs high ranked guys at LHW. davis's takedowns are good and his sub game is good. if he improves everywhere but focuses more on his bjj i think he would get the best results

when rashad and jones are both better wrestlers and strikers than you, you got problems at LHW

I really think he could hurt jones.

Phil_Davis.jpg

Hes never been phased by strikes, and his wrestling is nice. So far the rationale against him is that Rashad tooled him, but who doesnt Rashad tool? Jones has advantages against Shad that he dont against Davis. The idea that Davis would get ktfo or out muscled by Jones, just seems stupid.

Do people really think Sonnen and Hendo are more legit challengers?

Rashad didn't tool jones, the guy you say Phil Davis can beat.

Anyway, Davis has been away a lot due to injury so he has been out of the limelight a bit.

i think davis is somewhat over rated but a very good fighter. i think he really needs to develop a sick bjj game to be a factor for a title

theres just some things fighters will never be great at. no matter how hard guys train wrestling they will never be on guys like davis level. davis will never be a great striker. he can get better but his striking will never be a weapon vs high ranked guys at LHW. davis's takedowns are good and his sub game is good. if he improves everywhere but focuses more on his bjj i think he would get the best results

when rashad and jones are both better wrestlers and strikers than you, you got problems at LHW

He has really good BJJ, look it up. Ever improving too.

Shoulda been here before his Nog & Evans fights. He was in the EXACT same light as Gus then. Then people realized he can't strike for shit and realized they jumped the gun with all the hype over him.

This pretty much.

I liked him until his Penn State comments.

I think he's a pretty solid top 10-15 fighter and wanna see him against Ryan Bader

His striking is terrible.

His striking is bad, but he doesn't have terrible striking defense. It isn't like he tries to stay within distance and box people. He usually uses kicks and then goes for the TD. His striking is ugly, but it is over blown how bad it is.

His striking is bad, but he doesn't have terrible striking defense. It isn't like he tries to stay within distance and box people. He usually uses kicks and then goes for the TD. His striking is ugly, but it is over blown how bad it is.

It looked like he was moving in slow motion against Evans. I agree his striking defense is better but I think it's mostly due to his lengthy body type. He can always improve though, maybe take some pointers from the way Jones strikes.

Yup. I mean rashad is no slouch standing and couldn't finish Davis.

He beat lil nog and finished Gusta and still gets no mention of anything. Just because he lost to Rashad which is stylistically a bad match u for him he gets over looked a lot.

Back