Is Phil Davis the most under rated fighter in the UFC? Davis > Sonnen/Hendo/Gus imo

joeyp1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I really think he could hurt jones.

Phil_Davis.jpg

Hes never been phased by strikes, and his wrestling is nice. So far the rationale against him is that Rashad tooled him, but who doesnt Rashad tool? Jones has advantages against Shad that he dont against Davis. The idea that Davis would get ktfo or out muscled by Jones, just seems stupid.

Do people really think Sonnen and Hendo are more legit challengers?

I'd say so. The way people talk about Gus you'd swear he's the one he beat Davis.

Shoulda been here before his Nog & Evans fights. He was in the EXACT same light as Gus then. Then people realized he can't strike for shit and realized they jumped the gun with all the hype over him.

Davis will definitely get his shot eventually...him vs rashad would look very different in a year or two.

He's very underrated. you're sayin hendo is too? he's one of the best ever.

I agree that Davis is underrated, although I don't think he poses much of a threat to Jones. I know MMAth doesn't always work, but if you compare his fight against Evans to Rashad/Jones it's tough to see him winning the title.

Davis has strong wrestling and a good submission game but his striking still needs work. People do tend to forget that he beat Gus, they just assume that Gus has improved drastically since that fight, and maybe he has, I just haven't seen him take on enough wrestlers to be sure. IMO a rematch could go either way.

Phil Davis' potential is ridiculous..when he reaches his prime people better watch out for him.

^^^ Davis and Gus' potential are ridiculous... but Jones' potential is perhaps even greater, and he may be improving faster than either of them. Also, Phil Davis is like, 30. Well, at least LHW's know what it's like having an Anderson Silva-esk fighter in their division now. :D

Davis and Gus are easily the best LHW to not have a crack at Jones. I'm not sure which of the two of them are better right now, and I really would like to see a rematch between them; that or see Rashad face Gus, and Shogun or the Machida/Henderson loser face Davis.

I'd put Cormier ahead of both of them (in terms of talent) if he moved down to LHW though.

People have Gus ranked over him when he beat Gus. THE ONLY TIME MMA Math should be used, sherdogers can't even get it right. Dumb as shit.

Phil-Davis-003.jpg

And yes.

:D the scary thing is... a lot of people also think this.

its like the narrative is so strong people just forget.
It was just a brain fart, for some reason in my head I saw Gus getting the anaconda choke on Davis. Oh well.

Back to the subject, I was hoping Davis was going to tear apart Rashad because I wanted to see Davis vs. Jones badly. I hope after his next win, he'll get a shot.

I deserve that.

Indeed you did sir :icon_lol:.

Phil is decent I wouldn't be confident to say he could beat Hendo and Sonnen could be an interesting match up for him. Not that he'd get KO'd or anything but, Mr. Wonderful didn't do that well against someone with good MMA wrestling and Chael's is pretty damn good.

Already beat Gus so I don't even know why he was mentioned, although I would like to see a rematch down the road. As to him beating Hashad down the road that is TBD, he'll have to get A LOT better than he is now.

The Phil Davis hype is really unwarranted, I think the Rashad fight should have illustrated that quite clearly. He has potential but hasn't done anything to really impress me. His wrestling and double leg is very overrated if you ask me and his striking is mediocre. Maybe in a year I will be eating my words but I think he is very much a work in progress.

the way Rashad handled him in wrestling leaves me with doubts about how hed do against Jones, also his standup against Lil Nog was not impressive

Back