Is Pettis a Black Belt in BJJ?

Fosheez**

Green Belt
Reaction score
If he isn't, shouldn't he be now since he submitted a bjj black belt in Melendez? Isn't that how the belt system works in BJJ, you submit a guy in a higher belt and you earn that belt?

Also would be pretty crazy if Pettis submits RDA.

Just got his brown belt, now he has McGregor-level BJJ.

No he's a Red Belt
belt-red.gif

As far as I know he's a purple belt, but the guy who said he was a brown could easily be right.

he submitted him in mma after he rocked him. that would be like saying jon jones should automatically be a black belt by submitting vitor AFTER beating him to a bloody pulp. if it were straight jiu jitsu match he would lose. He'll get there though. He also submitted bendo(a black belt) when he was a blue belt

As far as I know he's a purple belt, but the guy who said he was a brown could easily be right.

I believe he was purple coming in and earned a brown belt for the sub. Saw a thread on it, on the forums.

maybe he will get honorary black belt (like Barnett, Sakuraba did), not yet but in few years

His MMA sub game is 4th degree... but I dunno about the pure Jitz credentials

That's not how the bjj belt system works. It all depends on your instructor.

Last I heard Pettis is a brown belt. A really god damn good one.

if it were straight jiu jitsu match he would lose.

I don't believe so. Belt level doesn't translate to skill level. Pettis is incredibly sick on the ground. And this was on display before the Melendez fight. Melendez has the better wrestling but I'm not sure his bjj would be effective vs. Pettis.

He's definitely an MMA BJJ BB.

Hopefully he doesn't earn a legit black belt for his victory though, imo it would sort of diminish the value of a true BJJ blackbelt. While certainly great competition success accelerates the players journey to blackbelt, there is a lot more involved than just tapping higher belts. Mat time, the breadth of knowledge one should have, helping your team, being an all around ambassador to BJJ. I wouldn't think he devotes a whole lot of time to drilling sport BJJ in a gi... but at the rate he's going, if he isn't already he will be an honorary BB soon.

Kind of pointless to train in a gi, just to get a belt imo. Pettis spends too much time on the DL to waste training time on that. He is obviously as gonna on the ground as any black belt, doesn't need the rank to prove it. Josh Barnett and Matt Hughes are white belts.

Keep in mind Rashad is an honorary black belt. Fucking never attempted a submission Rashad.

I remember Mir got his black belt for subbing Sylvia. Not sure why though, not like it's some crazy accomplishment.

Kind of pointless to train in a gi, just to get a belt imo. Pettis spends too much time on the DL to waste training time on that. He is obviously as gonna on the ground as any black belt, doesn't need the rank to prove it. Josh Barnett and Matt Hughes are white belts.

Barnett actually is a black belt and has competed as such.

Back