Is pet food a scam?

As gross at it may seem, the main function of processed dog food is to regulate the dog's excrement. Feed it real food and see how fun it gets when you go on a long walk around the block.

Remember to bring your mop.

This isnt true, I feed my dog a combination of mostly raw (Chicken,lamb,horse,goat,Kangaroo,beef and various organ meats) and use chick, split pea and brown rice as a filler along with a quality kibble and she doesnt shit half as much as when she is feed canned food.

i dont think you realize how cheap pet food is+how long it lasts for regular food

i feed my dog the premium shit and even then its $40 for 3 weeks or more, you realize how expensive and time consuming it would be to buy fresh chicken every other day or whatever

I feed my dog for about $2 a day (shes around 80lbs)

I feed my dog for about $2 a day (shes around 80lbs)

You spend $14 per week, he spends $40 per 3 weeks.... pretty close to the same thing.
There's no way in hell I could feed an 80lb dog for $2 a day... where do you live?

I feed my dog raw chicken, it costs between .39 and .99 cents per lb.

My mother always used to feed our dog with leftovers from lunch. He was as strong and as healthy as a rhino.

What's the dif yo? Pet food contamination flares up from time to time. If you got a google search that shows otherwise please put my 20 second investment to shame. :eek::)

That guy is a known quack who peddles misinformation. You should've spent more than 20 seconds.

Animals did fine on real food for untold centuries before pet food was around, I feed my dogs real food.

Dogs have been living on human waste products for 10,000 years. Literally our garbage and human feces; they're tougher than we give them credit for. But I think this conversation is about the absolute most optimal diet for dogs which takes far more consideration.

Dogs have been living on human waste products for 10,000 years. Literally our garbage and human feces; they're tougher than we give them credit for. But I think this conversation is about the absolute most optimal diet for dogs which takes far more consideration.

Real food is better than processed food though. We know this is true for humans, I'd think the same for animals. Although, I guess most real food is shit too. Still, I can't see how it would be worse than Kibbles and Bits.

Real food is better than processed food though. We know this is true for humans, I'd think the same for animals. Although, I guess most real food is shit too. Still, I can't see how it would be worse than Kibbles and Bits.

I don't think the act of processing food makes it bad. You essentially process your food by cooking/preparing it, don't you?

It's what they do to reduce costs and make things last forever is where processing goes wrong. Your cutting off your hand because you have a rash if you condemn all foods just because they're processed.

I do agree that a raw food diet is likely the closest to ideal you'll ever find for a dog.

Real food is better than processed food though. We know this is true for humans

We actually don't. "Processed" is a meaningless term as far as nutrition goes. Its just a buzz word for quack nutritionists. Unless they can tell you what is happening to the food and why it is a bad thing they are full of shit.

Unless you want to eat chickens and cows you kill yourself or eat anything other then fresh produce you're eating processed foods. Call me crazy but if I want some fried chicken I don't want to have to kill it and then pluck the chicken myself.

Dog Food Secrets: The Scam behind Commercial Dog Foods.

"Brace yourself for one of the dog food secrets scam I

My old dog used to eat dentists - he was a lion in fact but I called him a dog.

Huge rip off.

I worked at a hardware that bought out a neighouring pet food store. The bags we sold for $55 retail were $8 with the employee wholesale + 10% that we paid.

Fuck is up with your avatar ?

We actually don't. "Processed" is a meaningless term as far as nutrition goes. Its just a buzz word for quack nutritionists. Unless they can tell you what is happening to the food and why it is a bad thing they are full of shit.
Not every processed food is bad for you nor is every non-processed food good but there is a ton of information out there on a shitload of processed foods that are terrible for someone's health

9 Ways That Processed Foods Are Slowly Killing People
http://authoritynutrition.com/9-ways-that-processed-foods-are-killing-people/

4 Most Harmful Ingredients in Packaged Foods
http://www.rd.com/health/diet-weight-loss/4-most-harmful-ingredients-in-packaged-foods/

Why Processed Foods Are Bad For You
http://www.rd.com/health/diet-weight-loss/4-most-harmful-ingredients-in-packaged-foods/

I don't think the act of processing food makes it bad. You essentially process your food by cooking/preparing it, don't you?

It's what they do to reduce costs and make things last forever is where processing goes wrong. Your cutting off your hand because you have a rash if you condemn all foods just because they're processed.

I do agree that a raw food diet is likely the closest to ideal you'll ever find for a dog.

"Processed Food" is generally considered food that has had chemicals put into it to preserve it for much longer periods of time so it has a longer shelf-life. Basically you want the food to stay legally edible long enough to ship it and sell it. Plus, many of the chemical preservatives can be dangerous. Processed food also normally adds sugar, salt, or fat to a product on top of what is already in it.

Unless you want to eat chickens and cows you kill yourself or eat anything other then fresh produce you're eating processed foods. Call me crazy but if I want some fried chicken I don't want to have to kill it and then pluck the chicken myself.

You are crazy

Not every processed food is bad for you nor is every non-processed food good but there is a ton of information out there on a shitload of processed foods that are terrible for someone's health

9 Ways That Processed Foods Are Slowly Killing People
http://authoritynutrition.com/9-ways-that-processed-foods-are-killing-people/

4 Most Harmful Ingredients in Packaged Foods

Why Processed Foods Are Bad For You

*facepalm*

There's information out there, but linking an article that starts by saying "Processed foods are bad" ain't it.

Back