Is pet food a scam?

All the dogs and cats I've ever had have been fed dry dog/cat food supplemented with scraps of people food. Most of them lived long and healthy lives, so I see little reason to take on the extra cost and effort that a raw diet would require.

my dog eats better then i do.

i feed him either roast chicken and rice with vegetables in it.

or i buy chicken and boil it for him and add it to the rice i make.

give him mince meat with rice sometimes. but i found the mince upset his tummy sometimes.

all home made food. all clean made. he is a healthy size and weight for his breed. although i could never control the size he was going to grow to it fell within the breeds standards. and his weight is always good.

Exactly- its important to introduce a new diet slowly- with a raw diet, slowly introducing it over a period of several weeks will be good for a dog used to eating normal pet food.

If that's the way you want to go. I really don't see any reason why the average pet owner would in the first place though. Pet food is cheaper, less time consuming, and I've never heard of it having any negative health effects. The only reason to switch is if the owner is obsessed with the paleo diet, all-natural foods, or some other diet fad like that, and wants to transfer their obsessiveness over to their pet.

If anything I'd wager pet food is actually better for your dog since you are eliminating the bacteria and chances of food poisoning that come with consuming raw meat. Thats pretty much why we don't eat it anymore.

my pet died :(

*cryface*

my doggy just turned 2 in june.

i am dreading the day that happens to him.

all the time during my childhood (i am now 27) but when i was young and in school and my friends always told me their dog was unwell old and eventually passed i just never processed the feels since i never owned a pet until i got my dog. but now i can just imagine it all. :(

*cryface*

all the time during my childhood (i am now 27) but when i was young and in school and my friends always told me their dog was unwell old and eventually passed i just never processed the feels since i never owned a pet until i got my dog. but now i can just imagine it all. :(

Make sure to take lots of pics. I regret never getting any video.

It was only a month ago and it was pretty tough. I was very sad for like 2 weeks, even cancelled my vacations, now i'm better but still very emotional.

*cryface*

Having a dog get old is depressing. I remember my first dog at 17 years, all decrepid with no energy at all. It was depressing.

Found a pic of her a couple weeks ago and I was surprised at how young she looked because all I remember now is the last few years (we were the same age so I was 17 when she died)

The Raw vs Processed food diet is quite a big one in the Vet industry. I'd say I'm probably on the side of processed diets for a few reasons.

Raw diets work fantastic if everything is balanced appropriately (macronutrients and micronutrients) however this is much easier said than done. Pretty much from a nutritional standpoint for a lot of trace elements, vitamins, etc we only know the end points (i.e minimum amount they require before they are deficient in said micro and maximum amount before it becomes either toxic or non beneficial.) For the vast majority of micronutrients we do not have an "optimal" amount for each nutrient and I don't believe we ever will. There is just too large a range of breeds, sizes, health statuses, disease conditions, environmental factors that with all the scientific research in the world will we come up with a perfect diet. So when I see clients come in and tell me that their home made diet is perfect in every way for their pet I can't help but be slightly skeptical sometimes.

Granted I do believe that raw diets do have benefits over the processed but when you take into the factors such as risk of food poisoning (Salmonella, E.Coli etc) for both you AND your pet (yes your dog can get food poisoning as well), risks of gastric obstructions (please don't feed your dogs cooked bones, small bones, chicken necks etc) and the difficulty to come up with a properly balanced diet I would definitely recommend going with a premium branded diet such as Hills or Royal Canin. Both of them have diets customised so specific health conditions, breeds, age ranges, are appropriately catered for. I won't say all of these diets are perfect but for the vast majority they are superior. Just my 2 cents.

Lol-dinglberries on a white coat is the worst!

He has an intimate relationship with the hose. :icon_lol:

If anything I'd wager pet food is actually better for your dog since you are eliminating the bacteria and chances of food poisoning that come with consuming raw meat. Thats pretty much why we don't eat it anymore.

"Eliminating"?

According to the FDA website, there were 33 separate recalls of pet food and livestock feed in 2013. On average, that's one every 11 days.

Of the 33 recalls, 21 were for dog and cat food. Here is a brief summary of the recalls by month as captured at AVMA.org. See if you notice anything interesting about what types of products are being recalled

It was only a month ago and it was pretty tough. I was very sad for like 2 weeks, even cancelled my vacations, now i'm better but still very emotional.

well i just lost a bunch of my dogs first pics after my phone died on holiday like a week ago in the states. i am going to take it to an apple store when i get back to see if they can take out the memory or what ever that stores photos because my phone was never backed up.

some memorable things i lost re my dog elvis
- the day i met him
- the day he came home to me
- his first howl crying for his family the day i got him
- nonstop puppy photos 2-12 months.
- his first birthday
- me taking him to attend schnauzers day out in sydney where he met some cousins from his mom.
- him being at my birthday
- cuddles
- more cuddles

i am so devo about my phone legit just dying and not turning on whilst on holidays in america, and the thing i am most sad about is losing so many pics of my dog elvis. really hoping there is a way to get these photos of my phone even though it has just carked it.

but i am going to take so many more photos when i get my new phone.

Having a dog get old is depressing. I remember my first dog at 17 years, all decrepid with no energy at all. It was depressing.

Found a pic of her a couple weeks ago and I was surprised at how young she looked because all I remember now is the last few years (we were the same age so I was 17 when she died)

i found this on facebook when it was posted a year ago. this is to you and your dogs.

- https://www.reddit.com/r/baww/comments/1m7exu/dogs_never_die/

i wont post the text or quote it since its so long. but i got so sad when i first read it and i went and watched my dog sleep for like 30 minutes.

I can buy a 40 pound bag of dog food for around $17, I don't think I can buy a 40 pound bag of meat anywhere close to that price. But usually I'll give my dog some scaps from my plate or if I accidentally drop something on the floor.

I would think so only some are viable IMO. :icon_lol:

My beautiful, brilliant Jack Russel lived to twenty years old. She was so amazing. In the end we had to put her down because she had tooth problems. They could have operated, but the operation would likely have killed her because she was so old.

They shot her full of doggy painkillers and sent her home with us so we could have one last night with her. It was heartbreaking because she couldn't feel any pain and all of a sudden this old, slow-moving dog was running around like a puppy again. We hadn't seen her be able to jump on us like that in years and she just looked so goddamn happy.

I remember thinking that maybe I could just give her some painkillers every day and that I would totally suck dick to get heroin for my dog.

Eyes getting watery as I write this. Miss her so much.

My pets eat what I eat. If you buy bags of nuggets you might as well eat your pet.

Blue buffalo is far better than science diet....

My dog won't eat either of them and he will eat his own feces! When wolves kill an animal, they will eat the contents of the digestive system which is often grains and grasses. My dog catches animals and eats the whole thing, bones and all. Dogs will eat rotted corpses that they come across. The sale of the high priced brands depends on advertising to convince humans to buy it.

Just spend a few extra bucks on decent food. Doesn't have to be made by a gourmet chef, but there are good dry foods out there that aren't going to impact your pet's health.

Back