Is pet food a scam?

i dont think you realize how cheap pet food is+how long it lasts for regular food

i feed my dog the premium shit and even then its $40 for 3 weeks or more, you realize how expensive and time consuming it would be to buy fresh chicken every other day or whatever

Not sure who you meant but I'll field this one. Cheap pet food is cheap. Yep. If money is your main concern then a pet is inadvisable. That doesn't appear to be the case with you though.

I'm sure pet size plays a role in expenditure. Here's a way to get a sense of cost. I don't know what sale price per pound on chicken is in your area or even if you have the ability to raise your own. Ag land owners have options.

http://www.raw4dogs.com/calculate.htm

As for shopping every other day, I'm at the grocery store daily. But that's not the issue. It's taking advantage of sales. And here's the easy solution to that.

Deep-Freezer.jpg

This is exactly what I was wondering. How much dog food was actually assembled to scientific standards to provide the maximum amount of healthful nutrition for your pet and how much dog food is basically overpriced crap assembled like McDonald's food, with fillers and all kinds of chemicals that are horrible for your health, but essential to turning a profit.

Oh there is definitely plenty of crap dog food on the market. The main indicator of good food is, as mentioned in my first post, the number one ingredient. If it's a meat you're looking at the right shit. If it's corn or some other carbohydrate filler, then it's a garbage dog food and you shouldn't buy it. Your dog will live, but it's definitely a noticeable difference. The better brands typically sit at a higher price point. Again, check the first ingredient.

I highly recommend Taste of The Wild. I started buying it from a local breeder, and eventually found it on Amazon. In my city, I can actually same day deliver it. They just put a sticker on the bag and drop it off at my door. I can't recommend Taste of The Wild enough. I feed my 2 pit bulls with it and it does an amazing job keeping them healthy. I give them the multivitamin just to cover all bases. The raw food they get is just typically a desert or treat after they eat their 4 cups of Taste of The Wild. My bitch can eat a whole boneless/skinless chicken breast from the Publix 4 packs in like three bites. She picks it up in her mouth and chomps it down like a snake. I'm not even sure she chews the damn thing.

Animals did fine on real food for untold centuries before pet food was around, I feed my dogs real food.

Oh there is definitely plenty of crap dog food on the market. The main indicator of good food is, as mentioned in my first post, the number one ingredient. If it's a meat you're looking at the right shit. If it's corn or some other carbohydrate filler, then it's a garbage dog food and you shouldn't buy it. Your dog will live, but it's definitely a noticeable difference. The better brands typically sit at a higher price point. Again, check the first ingredient.

I highly recommend Taste of The Wild. I started buying it from a local breeder, and eventually found it on Amazon. In my city, I can actually same day deliver it. They just put a sticker on the bag and drop it off at my door. I can't recommend Taste of The Wild enough. I feed my 2 pit bulls with it and it does an amazing job keeping them healthy. I give them the multivitamin just to cover all bases. The raw food they get is just typically a desert or treat after they eat their 4 cups of Taste of The Wild. My bitch can eat a whole boneless/skinless chicken breast from the Publix 4 packs in like three bites. She picks it up in her mouth and chomps it down like a snake. I'm not even sure she chews the damn thing.

Agreed- Taste of the Wild is a great high quality food. I feed this to my GSD if he isnt eating raw food. Also Honest Kitchen has a great dehydrated food - its expensive, but i sometimes mix it in with his dinner. More expensive? Yes, but he is my buddy and I love him.

anyone feeding their pet a strict diet of table scraps should be shot, lol

"raw" diets have become increasingly popular, more along the 2nd diet you described (raw chicken & meats). They are expensive, but like someone posted above, it's basically what a wild cat or dog/wolf would eat.

Domestic dogs are pretty far removed from wolves. We've bred the shit out of them.

I would be very concerned about the health risks associated with switching a dog's diet from pet food to raw food. Their bodies aren't used to it.

I used to have a beautiful, brilliant Jack Russel. she was the runt of the litter and was always protective of her food. I remember one day, in horror, watching her as she swallowed a chicken drumstick like a pelican would swallow a fish. At first I was worried she was going to choke and die, but she was totally fine, so then I worried about when it needed to come out the other end. Again, totally fine.

pko1f.jpg

Domestic dogs are pretty far removed from wolves. We've bred the shit out of them.

I would be very concerned about the health risks associated with switching a dog's diet from pet food to raw food. Their bodies aren't used to it.

Exactly- its important to introduce a new diet slowly- with a raw diet, slowly introducing it over a period of several weeks will be good for a dog used to eating normal pet food.

Exactly- its important to introduce a new diet slowly- with a raw diet, slowly introducing it over a period of several weeks will be good for a dog used to eating normal pet food.

Other than a couple bouts of the shits what should we expect?

Other than a couple bouts of the shits what should we expect?

Basically the shits- just introduce it slowly, and it wont be bad at all. You will notice the dogs stools are less and a different color due to the dog using more of the food for energy and nutrition. There are several sites that offer advice on what meats and other foods to feed your dog so they get all the proper nutrition they need

My cat refuses to eat anything but cat food. I've tried many times over the years and she won't eat it. She's almost 18 and the only health problems she has ever had was she just went deaf about 2 months ago.
My Jack Russell is 16 and has been fed Purina all her life and has never had health problems either.
When I was breeding clown fish after they got to the point where they didn't require gut loaded brine shrimp I had better survival numbers with flake vs natural or live food, about a 1/3 better.

My cat refuses to eat anything but cat food. I've tried many times over the years and she won't eat it. She's almost 18 and the only health problems she has ever had was she just went deaf about 2 months ago.
My Jack Russell is 16 and has been fed Purina all her life and has never had health problems either.
When I was breeding clown fish after they got to the point where they didn't require gut loaded brine shrimp I had better survival numbers with flake vs natural or live food, about a 1/3 better.

lol of course it is. I just imagine nutritionists, physician and scientists working on making the best dog food ever.
lol joking, I cant.
but pet lovers are so stupid I could probably sell my shit as perfect dog food, because you know dogs like eating shit.

Basically the shits- just introduce it slowly, and it wont be bad at all. You will notice the dogs stools are less and a different color due to the dog using more of the food for energy and nutrition. There are several sites that offer advice on what meats and other foods to feed your dog so they get all the proper nutrition they need

For sure. One of mine took some adjusting to the occasional shift between the food/kibble. His white fur was helpful in problem awareness. :eek:

Of course. What did dogs eat before dog food?

Making your own dog fog is the way to go. It's easy, cheap as hell, and they get more than enough of their dietary needs if you know what your making.

Back